hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Think this one may have been a mistake on the Clubs side. Brentford are a fantastic place to be as a youngster so they clearly see something in him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think this one may have been a mistake on the Clubs side. Brentford are a fantastic place to be as a youngster so they clearly see something in him.
    Time will tell, I saw a documentary on BT sport about the academy system in England and Brentford had recently binned their academy on the basis that given their location they could do better by picking up kids who didnt make it at the larger London teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Time will tell, I saw a documentary on BT sport about the academy system in England and Brentford had recently binned their academy on the basis that given their location they could do better by picking up kids who didnt make it at the larger London teams.
    They've done it with the larger Edinburgh team this time 😉

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I agree with Hibs position here.

Regardless of the lads talent, it's clear it will be hard for him to get any meaningful first team experience over the next season or so with Hanlon, Mcgregor, Porteous, the big lad Sadiki who is highly rated and the potential addition of Adam Jackson who we have been in talks with ahead of him in the queue.

The boy needs playing time and hopefully he will get it at Brentford.

Good luck Kane!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard of players being released by us and going directly to the championship in England. I know they’re only youth players, but what is a championship club seeing that we’re not?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard of players being released by us and going directly to the championship in England. I know they’re only youth players, but what is a championship club seeing that we’re not?
    I think Kane was quite highly rated at one stage and Brentford probably feel they can take a chance through their dev system that we maybe can’t provide either for first team or dev.

Despite finishing a fair bit off the top four, we had the fourth best defensive record by a decent enough margin. McGregor isn’t getting any younger but had some outstanding games. Hanlon is a good player with so much first-team experience and links up so well with Lewis (and with Lewis and Scott Allan).

its easy to see why their shirts are theirs to lose. By the same token we hopefully have Porto back and keen to make up for lost time and it would be a surprise if Heckers doesn’t want to bring in at least one CH.

At dev level, we aren’t badly off in defence. Sadiki seems to impress those who have seen a bit of him. I also wonder whether Ben Stirling is being settled into a CH role - he has moved posotion a fair bit. By the same token I would be hoping Stirling would be making a step up to feature more prominently around the first-team squad.

The other consideration is what we are looking like at the age level just below the dev squad. If we have promising CH talent there then that makes it difficult for KOC from both sides.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There was a young keeper Kleyton Pentreau or something like that that was released by us and joined Crystal Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think Kane was quite highly rated at one stage and Brentford probably feel they can take a chance through their dev system that we maybe can’t provide either for first team or dev.

Despite finishing a fair bit off the top four, we had the fourth best defensive record by a decent enough margin. McGregor isn’t getting any younger but had some outstanding games. Hanlon is a good player with so much first-team experience and links up so well with Lewis (and with Lewis and Scott Allan).

its easy to see why their shirts are theirs to lose. By the same token we hopefully have Porto back and keen to make up for lost time and it would be a surprise if Heckers doesn’t want to bring in at least one CH.

At dev level, we aren’t badly off in defence. Sadiki seems to impress those who have seen a bit of him. I also wonder whether Ben Stirling is being settled into a CH role - he has moved posotion a fair bit. By the same token I would be hoping Stirling would be making a step up to feature more prominently around the first-team squad.

The other consideration is what we are looking like at the age level just below the dev squad. If we have promising CH talent there then that makes it difficult for KOC from both sides.
    I completely understand that, I just find it unusual that we’re prepared to let players go that are effectively leaving us and moving to a higher level. Brentford have a good youth system so they wouldn’t be signing them if they didn’t think they could possibly make it at that level. My question is that if a championship club thinks they might make the grade down there, why do we think they won’t make it at our level?
    I hope your last point about the next generation being considered better prospects is the way the club is looking at it. As I said it’s just not something that normally happens to us, if a player leaves for that league it’s normally for a decent fee.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There was a young keeper Kleyton Pentreau or something like that that was released by us and joined Crystal Palace.
    Yeah I do remember that.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Now with Margate. Isthmian League Premier Division.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I completely understand that, I just find it unusual that we’re prepared to let players go that are effectively leaving us and moving to a higher level. Brentford have a good youth system so they wouldn’t be signing them if they didn’t think they could possibly make it at that level. My question is that if a championship club thinks they might make the grade down there, why do we think they won’t make it at our level?
    I hope your last point about the next generation being considered better prospects is the way the club is looking at it. As I said it’s just not something that normally happens to us, if a player leaves for that league it’s normally for a decent fee.
    They can afford many more prospects than we can. We have to priotise but they may feel it's worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    They can afford many more prospects than we can. We have to priotise but they may feel it's worth a punt.
    True but we have far less prospects than they are likely to have and it seems strange that we’ve allowed two to walk out the door.

United we stand here....

True but we have far less prospects than they are likely to have and it seems strange that we’ve allowed two to walk out the door.
    But there's no opportunites for them here so it's not really that strange at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    But there's no opportunites for them here so it's not really that strange at all.
    Someone who might know the situation better than me may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather is this lad is really well thought of as a player but seemed to have some issue with Eddie May (shock horror) and the relationship between the club/May and KOC may have deteriorated.

I don't know why this happened or to what extent it played a part in him being released but for a while he was a name that was mentioned in the youth set up as potential to go far, even the the SFA mentioned him often to promote the youth sides. Then all of a sudden the lad wasn't getting a game any more but Brentford are happy to take a punt on him and Burnley were letting him train with them a month or so ago. All seems strange.

Someone who might know the situation better than me may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather is this lad is really well thought of as a player but seemed to have some issue with Eddie May (shock horror) and the relationship between the club/May and KOC may have deteriorated.

I don't know why this happened or to what extent it played a part in him being released but for a while he was a name that was mentioned in the youth set up as potential to go far, even the the SFA mentioned him often to promote the youth sides. Then all of a sudden the lad wasn't getting a game any more but Brentford are happy to take a punt on him and Burnley were letting him train with them a month or so ago. All seems strange.
    All a bit speculatory if you ask me.

What is a fact is that Sadiki arrived December 2018 and seemed to get more playing time than Kane from there on in.

Kano was offered a contract - not a very good one and still not very clear on his pathway to senior football. Hence why he has left.

He's been captain of the Scotland youth sides so plenty in football see his potential. He's been on the edge of the full squad a few times also. But at the end of the day its up to the academy to make a call on players. Some calls they will get right, some they will regret. I'll be watching his progress with interest as i really thought him and Porto would be the next Daz and Paul over the next 10 years.

This is probably a reflection of the money available to Hibs against what the likes of Brentford can afford. The kid clearly has a lot of potential, but Hibs probably cant afford to keep him on the books waiting for an opening in what is arguably the best covered part of our team once Porteous is fit and we make another signing in for that area.

Whatever the case, its pretty encouraging that a championship side is willing to take a punt on a guy Hibs feel is surplus to requirements, no matter what the circumstances.