hibs.net Messageboard

Promising Youngster

Scottish Cup Final

My son wrote this persuasive essay in S3,aged 14 arguing that the Scottish Cup triumph was one of the greatest achievements in sporting history. There's been a lot written about that day in 2016 but I reckon this is up there with the best of them (although I'm biased, obviously). On this day of all days it's worth a few minutes of your time...

21/05/2016 – One of the Greatest Days in Sporting History

What springs to mind when talking about the greatest sporting moment? Leicester City’s historic 5000/1 Premier League triumph? Jesse Owens’ four gold medals in front of Adolf Hitler? Andy Murray collapsing to the ground, overcome with emotion, after lifting the iconic Wimbledon trophy? But wait. What if I told you about a football team who hadn’t lifted a certain piece of silverware for 114 years, only to complete a comeback late on to win it? Who’d been victims of a degrading attempt to put their name in the dictionary: ‘hibsing it’- to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. This was Hibernian FC stepping out of the tunnel of shame and finally proclaiming Sunshine on Leith.

Every sporting moment that wants in on the argument must include perseverance: persistence in doing something despite difficulty in achieving success. Surely this applies to Hibs’ Scottish Cup win. Their most recent joy in the competition before 2016 came in 1902. 1902! Since then, Hibs finished runners-up 10 times. Consequently, they could’ve moved to a different country where they may have had a glimmer of hope in winning a national trophy. Instead they showed character, just as the Chicago Cubs did, also in 2016. The Cubs hadn’t won the baseball World Series since 1908 but eventually found joy. Since that is deemed one of the best sporting victories ever in the United States, why shouldn’t Hibs’ be here? Hibernian persevered. And as that’s seen as one of the greatest qualities, you should acknowledge Hibs’ triumph as one of the greatest ever sporting achievements.

Not many sporting achievements involve having to overcome a cheeky attempt to get your name in the dictionary for all the wrong reasons. Hearts fans started a petition to get ‘hibsed it’ in the dictionary. Imagine you’re the kid who’s always being made fun of. Every day you enter school and await the inevitable mockery. Now imagine you’re Hibernian FC. Spotted the difference yet? I thought not. Without question, banishing the doubters who made fun of you is a huge achievement. Therefore, Hibs winning the Scottish Cup and silencing the school bullies must be considered a great achievement. Clearly this is the essence of sport: to defy, tackle and overcome those who questioned you. Moreover, Heywood Broun, an American sports journalist, once said: ‘Sports do not build character. They reveal it’. Hibs showed that quality on the 21st May 2016. In brief, if you are someone that appreciates underdogs, you must give recognition to Hibs’ achievement.

In football, players are allowed the opportunity to forget about everything that’s happened to them beforehand. For some Hibs players, sport has been their release. Now imagine you’ve not been allowed that release, that outtake of breath, for 16 months. You’re Conrad Logan. For a year and a half you’ve sat on your couch in unbearable pain, physically unable to move. Logan signed a contract with Hibs days before their Scottish Cup semi-final. Reports of earthquakes would not have been dismissed in the Mount Florida area as the ‘Polar Bear’ lumbered on to warm up. What happened next was even more bewildering. Logan played superbly, saving two penalties, and broke down on the pitch after the game while speaking to his dad. This is one of the greatest ever sporting comebacks. Speaking of comebacks, Hibs manager Alan Stubbs’ one was even harder. He was diagnosed with cancer not once but twice. He obliterated it both times. Without these two people, undoubtedly Hibs would never have won the Scottish Cup and brought unbridled joy to so many people. And that’s why their victory is surely one of the greatest ever.

Finals in sport are how experts judge teams. They separate the alphas from betas, mediocrity from excellence and anguish from joy. Squads like the Brazil team of 1998 included stars such as Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Cafu. But they imploded against France in the World Cup Final. In the Scottish Cup Final, Hibs faced Rangers. The two teams had been trading blows throughout the Scottish Championship season, but this was the opportunity to deliver the knockout punch. That was a recurring theme, with both teams coming from behind at least once. 79 minutes played, Hibs are 2-1 down. There was a consensus in the Hampden air that this was same old, same old. After all, this was a team of rejects. Nothing compared to The Famous Five – considered the best forward line in Scottish Football history – and Turnbull’s Tornadoes (both previous Hibs teams who’d failed to win the cup). But then. A match was struck. Anthony Stokes headed in. Extra time loomed as Hibs gained another corner. The 92nd minute. Over to you, Sky Sports commentator Ian Crocker: ‘It’s Liam Henderson to deliver... and David Gray has scored! The captain!’ Hibs had done it. The 114-year-old hoodoo banished. Sport was made for moments like these. They don’t get much better.

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup meant so much to the fans. With a team like Hibs, you can imagine the reaction from fans who’ve had to wait so long for their club to finally achieve something. Edinburgh had transformed into a mass of green and white on parade. Musicians were singing Hibs tunes, fans had tears streaming down their cheeks, and I was belting out ‘SUPER JOHN MCGINN!’ Nothing has ever made me happier than that weekend and if someone was to ask me at any point in my lifetime which 24 hours to relive, I would pick those. With my dad. Hugging strangers, clinging on and never letting go. This is the power of sport. And that’s why this is such a momentous achievement.

So. If you thought that Hibs winning the Scottish Cup wasn’t special, you don’t any more. They persevered. They conquered doubters. They bathed the capital in green and white. Every aspect of Hibs’ achievement is exceptional. The power to eradicate heartache and replace it with ecstasy in one stretch of the neck muscles cannot and should never be undermined.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Superb piece of work from a 14 year old
    Well done young man

Excellent work, I shared the day with my son, daughter and mother, we had persevered too as a Hibee family.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Fantastic

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Content aside (which is obviously 10/10), that is brilliantly written. If he didn’t get an A, his teacher must be a bitter Hun! 😉

Very well written and had the expected impact when I teared up!

You're right to be proud of your laddie
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent!
    Superb piece of writing - well done !

@hibs.net private member
    That's excellent. Not many 14 year olds could express the emotions of that day as well as your son has done.

Thanks for sharing.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    That was an absolute fantastic read

Your son certainly has a talent 👍🏾

Left by mutual consent!
    Good luck to your boy mate. Fantastic read.

Coaching Staff
    Excellent!

First Team Breakthrough
    Excellent work, can't believe a 14 year old wrote that :-)

Cheers mate, crying now.

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    That's bloody lovely. He should send it to the club.

Well done wee man, hope you get the grade you deserve!

Marvellous piece. Well done.
    Greetin' again

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Excellent!

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Superb piece of writing by a 14yo. He completely manages to bring out thee option and had me welling up again, just a day after watching Time for Heroes.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Brilliant read. And brilliantly written

well done to that young man.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member
    Superb......

Hearts will win.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearts will win.
    No they wont.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by KDY Hibs View Post
    No they wont.
    And sorry, fantastic read!

Left by mutual consent!
    Hearts will win.
    At the dominoes and darts?

Hearts will win.

Hearts will win ....
    .… nothing under Levein.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.