hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always felt the Dunfermline was a better ground and easier to get to, but they have fans that want every decision their way!!!

Dundee United ground is not as good, and their fans are not quite as bad???

But on fans base, Dunfermline are ahead in good times as they are the only team in the town, unlike Dundee United with their very close neighbours splitting the population!!!
    True - but Dundee has around 3 times the population of Dunfermline.

EZ

2. Log in to remove the advert

Slightly off topic but old tannadice with steep terrace was my favourite away ground,even taking into account it was 80s and we hardly ever won. Current tannadice pales in comparison.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    United are the bigger club, in my opinion, and should always be a top division side. There being two clubs in Dundee means their potential growth is limited, as it it's quite a small place. Dunfermline are also underachieving just now.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Utd are bigger but I much prefer the Pars. Always had a soft spot for them.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Sold over 10k tickets for the play off leg at home
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

United probably are the bigger side, but for me that isn't the issue so much as Dunfermline being so much bigger than the likes of Hamilton, Livingston and Ross County but for some reason just never seem to fulfill their potential they way these clubs have.

East End park is a cracking ground in SPFL terms and its a shame to see it sidelined in the championship while grounds like ICT and Hamilton have been regular venues in recent times.

I've said it before, but keeping clubs like Dunfermline and stadiums like East End park going is probably my biggest reason for wanting the premiership expanded to at least a 14 team league …. Scottish football isn't exactly awash with full time clubs or decent stadiums and we should be trying to maximise the chances of clubs like Dunfermline playing in the top league more regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    United probably are the bigger side, but for me that isn't the issue so much as Dunfermline being so much bigger than the likes of Hamilton, Livingston and Ross County but for some reason just never seem to fulfill their potential they way these clubs have.

East End park is a cracking ground in SPFL terms and its a shame to see it sidelined in the championship while grounds like ICT and Hamilton have been regular venues in recent times.

I've said it before, but keeping clubs like Dunfermline and stadiums like East End park going is probably my biggest reason for wanting the premiership expanded to at least a 14 team league …. Scottish football isn't exactly awash with full time clubs or decent stadiums and we should be trying to maximise the chances of clubs like Dunfermline playing in the top league more regularly.
    Always a brilliant away day too

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

I've swithered on the number of teams thing, but I simply think it should be easier to be relegated / promoted. 2 automatic places and one playoff. It is too easy for big clubs to disappear for long periods and Hamilton "the unflushable turd" Accies to lurk near the bottom of the Premier.

It keeps the bottom 6 interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Always a brilliant away day too
    Dundee and United are good away days too though.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I've swithered on the number of teams thing, but I simply think it should be easier to be relegated / promoted. 2 automatic places and one playoff. It is too easy for big clubs to disappear for long periods and Hamilton "the unflushable turd" Accies to lurk near the bottom of the Premier.

It keeps the bottom 6 interesting too.
    I do get your point, but Is that not the same as UEFA and their aims to try and maintain the status quo in the champions league that the later rounds are contested by the same 6 or 8 clubs? Teams should be relegated/promoted based on footballing merit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I do get your point, but Is that not the same as UEFA and their aims to try and maintain the status quo in the champions league that the later rounds are contested by the same 6 or 8 clubs? Teams should be relegated/promoted based on footballing merit IMO.
    Yes they should, I doubt anybody would disagree with that. Having a bigger league would improve the prospects of the likes of Dunfermline and Dundee for example staying full time and bringing their bigger supports to the top table more often without impacting on sporting integrity.

That is a whole different thing from UEFA's seeding of the champion's league which is purely there to all but guarantee the giants a seat at the top table. Seeding works in the likes of tennis where nobody can stay at the top for more than 10 years. In football, especially with so called financial fair play, all it does is ensure that the biggest clubs will always be advantaged.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I'm not arguing that teams should be in any competition on anything other than merit.

The "closed shop" of a small league with minimal relegation contributes to the problem rather than alleviate it. I suspect it was probably done to help keep the likes of Hibs, United and the Pars in the top league rather than outside of it.

I'm not sure how many bigger games against the better teams (note NOT Rangers and Celtic) I'd want to give up in order to have more meaningless games and the odd trip to Ayr or Greenock - even if they are trips I enjoy very much.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    The Pars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Regal View Post
    Grew up in Dunfermline, in the Isvan Kozma and Norrie McCathie days. Always had decent crowds there.

Hopefully see them get promoted soon.
    Where about in Dunfermline? I live there but come from that "wee quiet" place Valleyfield.

My brother and I both have partners who are Pars fans who come from Pars-supporting families. There has been a fair wee battle for my nephew's attentions but relatively good times for us whilst Dunfermline have struggled of late have probably won him over. Got a cracking video of him on my shoulders at the cup final as we celebrated the 21st May the other day.

Dunfermline are a brilliant club who have been through some hard times in recent years.

I think they've been affected more than anyone by a shift over the years of glory-hunting the Old Firm. In the 60s, Dunfermline would have held the support of most local folk, people now choosing to "support" a Glasgow team from afar. I was working there when Rangers (as they were known back then) reached the UEFA cup final, and there seemed to be a greater buzz about the place than when the Pars reached their Scottish cup finals. It was really sad.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-05-2019 at 08:23 PM.