hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Very sad to hear. RIP.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    My heart just sank when I saw the headline.

I met Stuart many times via Hibs List, when I would come up from Birmingham to the Persevere for pre and post match drinks.

I used to do bits of design work for the various football enterprises he got involved in - logos, badges and leaflets.

I lost contact with Stuart and that Preserver crowd, but often I used to think about what happened to him after he left hibs.net.

Fond memories when you Stuart, Jamesie and WillieD came down to stay with me for the Telford friendly (The Great Adventure).

Really sad to read this.

Blog Entries
    Sad news indeed. as mentioned earlier Stuart was a good friend to London Hibs & a contributor to our fanzine, Hibees Here, Hibees There. One wee amusing story to hopefully lighten a sombre day. Stuart was with us when we took Eddie Turnbull as London Hibs guest to a Spurs game where Eddie met up with his old adversaries, Bill Nicholson & some of his double winning team. Tommy Hanmer from that team came up to Eddie & said, " I remember playing against you Jocks, you weren't a bad team." " Not a bad team?" said the bold Ned, " We f****d you 5-1!!" Well Stuart could be forthright in his manner & speech but I've never seen him struck silent before, we were both bent over, partly in embarrassment but mainly to stifle our laughter.
    A real sad loss is Stuart!

So sad to hear of this, I was brought up in the same area as Stewart and admired what he did for the Hibs cause.
    At 66 years of age another taken too soon.
    RIP Stewart and condolences to all your family.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sad news indeed. as mentioned earlier Stuart was a good friend to London Hibs & a contributor to our fanzine, Hibees Here, Hibees There. One wee amusing story to hopefully lighten a sombre day. Stuart was with us when we took Eddie Turnbull as London Hibs guest to a Spurs game where Eddie met up with his old adversaries, Bill Nicholson & some of his double winning team. Tommy Hanmer from that team came up to Eddie & said, " I remember playing against you Jocks, you weren't a bad team." " Not a bad team?" said the bold Ned, " We f****d you 5-1!!" Well Stuart could be forthright in his manner & speech but I've never seen him struck silent before, we were both bent over, partly in embarrassment but mainly to stifle our laughter.
    A real sad loss is Stuart!
    Brilliant story thanks for sharing that.

James was kind enough to get in touch yesterday to let me know the awful news. Reflecting on his passing, and therein, the time we spent working together on Hibs content, is heartbreaking.

I'm very certain I am not alone in the opinion that Stu was, at many times, an infuriating person to deal with. I mean that in a positive sense because it was frankly impossible to keep pace with his relentless enthusiasm. The guy put 100% into everything, into the direction and vision of the online presence of Hibs ; which myself and many others were able to contribute to.

He ruffled more than a few feathers, but that was arguably one of his strengths. He could grasp the nettle. He could and would make the difficult decisions. More often than not, he was proven right (e.g. moving to rivals, changing direction of the site to forums and the birth of Hibs.net). Except for his use of Comic Sans ... which was unforgivable. And I still maintain I was right about the dark green & gold branding on Erin web versus his parma violet version ; digging back through archive.org has proven me right ;)

I'm just recalling now as I type this, just before the move to rivals, he was kind enough to get in touch and explain the rationale. I was long since involved in the site (work + life took priority!) but the fact he took the time to get in touch was a measure of the man.

Also, he never elaborated how he smoothed over the situation with Rod Petrie after one of our news digests when out to subscribers with "Alex Miller" replaced with his more appropriate moniker. I suspect without his diplomatic intervention, I could have been the victim of a 90s version of Jobbygate as Sir Rod was reportedly as incandescent as my beamer is right now.

I'm beginning to only realise now what I was able to contribute thanks to his support, and I feel somewhat ashamed to have not considered this until now. I'm thankful to have known him, to have worked with him and in debt to him for enabling me to see side of the football club that would have been otherwise impossible.

RIP Stu.

GGTTH

-Gregor-

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    James was kind enough to get in touch yesterday to let me know the awful news. Reflecting on his passing, and therein, the time we spent working together on Hibs content, is heartbreaking.

I'm very certain I am not alone in the opinion that Stu was, at many times, an infuriating person to deal with. I mean that in a positive sense because it was frankly impossible to keep pace with his relentless enthusiasm. The guy put 100% into everything, into the direction and vision of the online presence of Hibs ; which myself and many others were able to contribute to.

He ruffled more than a few feathers, but that was arguably one of his strengths. He could grasp the nettle. He could and would make the difficult decisions. More often than not, he was proven right (e.g. moving to rivals, changing direction of the site to forums and the birth of Hibs.net). Except for his use of Comic Sans ... which was unforgivable. And I still maintain I was right about the dark green & gold branding on Erin web versus his parma violet version ; digging back through archive.org has proven me right ;)

I'm just recalling now as I type this, just before the move to rivals, he was kind enough to get in touch and explain the rationale. I was long since involved in the site (work + life took priority!) but the fact he took the time to get in touch was a measure of the man.

Also, he never elaborated how he smoothed over the situation with Rod Petrie after one of our news digests when out to subscribers with "Alex Miller" replaced with his more appropriate moniker. I suspect without his diplomatic intervention, I could have been the victim of a 90s version of Jobbygate as Sir Rod was reportedly as incandescent as my beamer is right now.

I'm beginning to only realise now what I was able to contribute thanks to his support, and I feel somewhat ashamed to have not considered this until now. I'm thankful to have known him, to have worked with him and in debt to him for enabling me to see side of the football club that would have been otherwise impossible.

RIP Stu.

GGTTH

-Gregor-

Well said Gregor.

I'm struggling to remember the moniker, was it B*****d F***?

Very sad news, although I only had a few dealings with him in the early .net years, he made a positive impression, RIP

First Team Breakthrough
    RIP Stuart. I worked with him for a short time in the civil service. Always good chat about hibs - before the internet was even thought about!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Shocked and deeply saddened to hear about Stuart. I met with Stuart and John Campbell at the Persevere in 2002 when Stuart and John got tickets for my brother and I for the Cup Final and we met up again when Stuart and John visited Toronto....those were very nice evenings we had together. Condolences to his family and friends

Testimonial Due
    Sad news and will be sorely missed. RIP

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Very sad to hear this news. Condolences to his family and friends.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    That is very sad news indeed. I met Stuart many times in the early days of this site and also when he came to a London Hibs do (see comment by Brog earlier). A great Hibby who wanted to do what he could to bring supporters together in support of our Team. RIP Stuart

Sad to hear this. I don't attend the games, and haven't for a long time, but my continuation in following Hibs is more down to this website than anything else.

PS. He wasn't the gentleman who owned a sports bookshop along from Mr Boni's in the mid-90s as well was he?

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Sad to hear this. I don't attend the games, and haven't for a long time, but my continuation in following Hibs is more down to this website than anything else.

PS. He wasn't the gentleman who owned a sports bookshop along from Mr Boni's in the mid-90s as well was he?
    No, but they were friends.

Very sorry to hear the news of Stuart's passing.

He could divide opinion back in the day (greatly!), that's what forums are for, but personally found him friendly and warm in the brief occasions within his company. His love and passion for Hibernian can never be questioned.

Plus, if it weren't for Stuart, I wouldn't have the valuable friendships I made with certain people on this site which has remained to this day, so forever grateful on that score.

RIP Stuart.
    0-7

'S' Form
    It’s hard to believe that one of the stalwarts of Hibs Interactive, TANEHSH and Hibs.net is no longer with us. I heard yesterday from Jamesie and I’ve been trying to gather my memories of Stuart.

As has been said, he could be difficult at times, but I never had a problem with him, in fact he helped me immensely when setting up the (now defunct) London Hibs website. When he was down for one of our Burns Nights he took time out to come to my house in Wokingham to “show me how it’s done”.

One other memory was being asked by him to type up the text commentary for a Hibs game, him at the end of a mobile phone (probably brick sized in those days!) at the game and me sitting in front of my PC connected to internet via dial up modem (the kids these days don’t know how lucky they are!). I told him at the time that it was more stressful doing that than my day job (Air Traffic Controller) as my 2 fingered typing couldn’t keep up. He got someone else to do the second half!

I’m sure that some permanent memorial at ER will be thought of in the coming months but let’s just remember the innovations he brought to the club, and pass our condolences to Linda and their family.

P.S. This sad occasion has given me the excuse to replenish my Highland Park supply, which I will be sampling later tonight - Slainte Stuart, and RIP :(

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post

His name was (Ian?) Murray. I used to drink with him in the Persevere. He got rid of the shop and moved the business on-line many years ago.

Very sad to read this. As far as I recall from back in the early 2000's this place was very much Stu's baby. Met him once in 2001 on the bus back from when we used to lose Scottish Cup Finals, quite intense but a good guy. We shared a common link with Caithness Hibs from the late 70's.
    66 is far to early, RIP Stuart and my condolences to your family.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    His name was (Ian?) Murray. I used to drink with him in the Persevere. He got rid of the shop and moved the business on-line many years ago.
    I think I was at school with him (Longstone then Firrhill).

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.

Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.

Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.

While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

Yes very sad indeed rip pal

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think I was at school with him (Longstone then Firrhill).

I got my ticket for the Gordon Hunter Tynie game from his shop. Happy days. Incredible the work Mr Crowther put into Hibs. I never met him but I'm very glad he saw this day three years ago.

RIP Stuart, from all at the bounce.

I first got to know Stuart on the hibs list in 1998, as indeed did quite a few others on this thread by the looks of it. I met up with Stuart in Pilton when he was taking over the official website, and I managed to convince him that he needed a content management system to make it work. I Failed miserably to convince him of any of the systems I suggested and he chose something completely different. That meeting still makes me chuckle.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    That's sad to hear. Having nearly went myself last year and lost my mum and brother within a year I can empathise with what his family must be going through. Had a few e mail exchanges in the early days when the forums were a new thing, and he was moderating the first trolling and arguments and language. Also sent him an autographed Hibs Real madrid programme shortly before he left the site, as he was reminiscing about the game but lacked the programme. His enthusiasm and dedication were obvious and infectious

Testimonial Due Little Miss Perfect's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: maybe no
    RIP Stuart

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I will say I was taken aback last evening to hear that Stuart had passed away – far too young. I’d like to acknowledge a debt I have to him. It’s not important to say but Stuart and I had our sparring sessions over the years. Happily, the very last time I shared his company though it was over a pleasant and convivial meal at a mutual friend’s home in the hours before a Hibs cup-final appearance at Hampden.

I admired Stuart’s passion for the Hibs and connecting, like some others here, in the Erin and Rivals days, I’d like to also acknowledge his drive in pushing the online Hibs community forwards. That also became important in a very personal way to me as I connected with a whole new group of HIbs people back home and from far and wide. I can easily say that some of those people have became life-long friends who I value in my life greatly and are very dear to me. You know who you are. For this I owe Stuart in having the opportunity to meet them.

Aside from differences of opinion, there were fun and interesting times back in those early days especially. It’s been noted by a few on this thread, the sessions in Stuart’s shed. It was famously called ‘Kack in the Shack’ in those days and was a treat. Recall the midweek evenings connecting with friends and acquaintances on the chatroom there – not before the initial sitting down with a bottle of beer, a dial up connection and a short prayer for a good connection. Great fun with great friends. The answer to the quiz question was 'Colin Stein' by the way...

So, farewell Stuart. My hope is that his latter years in Lossie have been happy ones. My sincere condolences and thoughts go to Linda and all his loved ones and friends.

Sleep well, fellow Hibee.
    Last edited by stu in nottingham; 21-05-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Rip.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Rest in peace sir

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    Sad news. Remember the time he was the man here, RIP Stuart, this site has helped keep me in the Hibby loop away from home.

RIP Stuart Crowther

Thanks to admin for allowing me to register to pay a wee tribute to Stuart.

I edit FollowFollow.com, a Rangers messageboard.

I first met Stuart around 2000 in the build up to the launch of Rivals.net and he was bringing Hibs.net into it and I was launching FF online. Over the following years both in his role with hibs.net and with Hibernian FC he was unfailing helpful and courteous - even if his sense of humour could take a little getting used to.

He built a community which meant that for a couple of years I think I am correct in saying Hibs.net was the biggest fan forum in the UK.

We didn't always see eye to eye but his observations were heart-felt and usually worth taking heed of. He loved his club and was a credit to it.

Many thanks for the memories - condolences to his friends and family.
    Last edited by GrandmasterSuck; 23-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.