hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haagsehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also never met him but had some email contact during the hibs-list days when I lived in Holland when he helped with some computer problems I was having. He seemed to be a good chap. There was a good atmosphere on that list as I recall and was a godsend for expat Hibbys. I seem to remember that the list was on a server in a Geology department in a university in the States somewhere (Wisconsin??)
    Saskatoon in Canada.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    RIP Stuart. Like a few are saying here, never met him, but had a few exchanges on here when dot net was on the Rivals (?) forum. I think he even helped me with some Visual Basic programming I was working on at one stage!!

Remember him going to work for the club too.

Sorry to hear of his loss and offer my condolences to his family and those close to him.

I remember writing* to Stu’s fanzine (and Mass Hibsteria) to publicise Colin Macpherson’s “Hypertext Hibs”, afaik the first ever Hibs presence on the internet. To my surprise I got an email back and Stu’s band of email contacts joined with mine became the hibs-list. 25 years ago this year! He and Gregor were the driving force of Erinweb which became hibs.net and here we are.

Really sad and shocking news. RIP Stu.

* with like paper and envelopes and stuff, ask your Dad.

I remember when he used to run a Hibs radio station from his hut back in the day and going round where loads of us squeezed in to talk all things Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    I remember when he used to run a Hibs radio station from his hut back in the day and going round where loads of us squeezed in to talk all things Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m another who first came into contact with him through the Hibs List, and remember with affection the radio broadcasts from his back hut, which back then were the bees knees for us down under.

Like another couple of posters on here, I too had a falling out with Stewart, long since forgotten about, and I always wondered how he was doing, presuming he moved north once he stopped working for Hibs, and had remained off the radar for years.

Sad to hear that he has gone so young, and my condolences to his family..

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    definitely recognise the name.

Rest In Peace Stuart

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Sad news. Hibs via the internet was a great discovery when I was in Oz in 98/99. Stuart was at the forefront of it and I’m thankful. RIP.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Saw mention of Stuart passing on Facebook and gutted to hear this news. We shared a love of the Hibs and Balvenie, and he was a top bloke.

RIP pal.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Remember him from the Rivals.net days, and meeting him to buy a tee shirt at the airport........... Athens game maybe?

Sorry to hear another big Hibs man is no more.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    The end of an era. Stuart’s legacy of this forum, the original Hibs radio (which kept me in touch with Hibs and brought me closer to home from far away shores back in the late 90s/early 2000s), Hibs TV plus everything else he did for the club and fans is worthy of acclaim by any standards. Rest in Peace Stuart and thank you for everything you did.

Sad news indeed. I'm another who never met him, but e-mailed and talked on the phone as he sorted me out for a 2001 cup final ticket when I was working down south. A good Hibs man who has left a lasting legacy with a prominent role in the early development of fan websites. Thank you Stuart. RIP

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.

Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum
    . A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.

Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.

While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

A legacy he left to us all. RIP sir; we all owe him a thank-you.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Sad to hear about Stuart's passing. I met him a few times over the years but didn't know him well. He seemed one of life's good guys and his Hibs credentials were top drawer.
    Condolences to Stuart's family and friends.

RIP

Very saddened to hear of Stu's passing. Stu was great to myself and the family over the years. Genuinely warm and friendly guy. Thoughts go to Linda and the family and his friends back home at this time.

Very sadnews. R.I.P

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough micka_weer's Avatar
    RIP Stuart, like others have said, he was the Hibs.net main man when I joined. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Very sad to hear this. I remember Stuart from the early days of the site when I was away from home at university and used the site all the time as my hibs fix. Had some correspondence with him over the years and seemed a good guy
    R.I.P Stuart

Coaching Staff
    RIP, Stuart.

Have a dram in the Highland Park distillery in the sky!

Condolences to family and friends.

Left by mutual consent!
    Things were different when Stu was around. Sad to hear. Hope he's in a better place and his family come to terms with their loss. RIP.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Sad news, RIP Stuart.

For a wee while I did a column for his magazine TANEHSH and although he didn't agree with much, if anything , I wrote he always gave me free reign and printed whatever I wanted to say. I thought that said a lot about him.

RIP Stuart

First Team Breakthrough StokePogesHibs's Avatar
    Still fondly remember the text commentary of the games and going crazy when Harper scores the winner against Hearts in 1998/9. His legacy lives on in Hibs TV and the various fan pages on t’internet. Rest In Peace.

I recognise the name, seems like he was one of the founding fathers of .net, for which we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.

Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.

Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.

While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

Had never heard Stu was not keeping great recently, really sad to hear he has passed away, at only 66. Stu helped me personally a few times over the years and I was always very grateful to him for that.
    R.I.P Stu, you will be missed by many.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sad to hear. He liked my Hibs cartoons and was even paying me a small amount to use them at one time - no accounting for taste is there

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Stuart was Mr Hibs Net when I first signed up. It was a revelation for Hibs fans living abroad who could finally reconnect to the wider Hibs family. That and all the good things this forum has achieved over the years is an incredible legacy to leave. Thanks Stuart!!!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Sad news, a well known name when I registered on here.

Thoughts with his family and friends.

Sorry to hear of Stuart Crowther's passing - what with his involvement in this site and HIbs TV he provided a welcome new lifeline for me to my old club, even though I was no longer in Scotland - never met him, emailed on occassion about various issues, part of his lHibs egacy lives on in this site and the TV site and for that many, many thanks - RIP

Left by mutual consent!
    At a time when the internet was very much in its infancy for most folk, Stuart Crowther was a leading light in opening up communication between Hibs fans in a way few could previously have imagined. He worked extremely hard to do so and I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Very sad news. As many have said, Stu was the main man when I first signed up to Hibs.net and was the man to go to if you had any issues with the site.

RIP, Stu, and very many condolences to family and friends.

GGTTH