hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Met Stuart way back when we first started playing with this new html stuff. I had Hibs page hosted on a Napier college server and the first time I met him was at an Internet cafe in town, where the evening news was doing piece on this new ‘thing’ I think there was about 8/10 of us there. Probably still got the photo somewhere. Anyway a year later or so as we got on ok I did a tiny bit for the rivals site. He told me one day about when he was in the RAF, he went awol to watch Hibs in the 1979 final and was jailed on his return. The night of the 2nd replay his jailor told him that a player called Duncan has scored the winning goal and Stuart sang Hibs songs in his cell all night. Wasn’t till he was released the next day he found out it was an own goal.
    RIP Stuart

2. Log in to remove the advert

I first met Stuart in 1998 when I met up with him to hand over pennants etc from the Oz Hibs branch. Unfortunately, it was at the Stranraer game and we got beat 1-2 but sadly it was also the day of the Omagh bombing so the result paled into insignificance. He asked me if I was going to the game and when replied I wasn't he invited me into the press box - where he was providing typed commentary - to watch the game, which was really decent of him.

He was big character and has left an even bigger legacy so RIP Stuart.

Very sad news . I never met Stuart in person but exchanged emails in early years of Hibs TV ( or whatever it was caused then ) when he always went to great lengths to help when there were technical problems or folk like me who were desperate to follow the Hibs but were disasters with computers . He was also very helpful helping overseas fans when big matches came up - I almost missed the 2007 LC final cause of a fire which affected the Eurostar but he arranged for me to pick up tickets , not the only time he gave his own time to help fans . The number of overseas fans on this thread is evidence of how much he went out of his way to help fans who often had no other contact with the club . Certainly noone at the club has shown nearly as much if any , interest in Hibernian fans who don`t live within easy travelling distance of the Holy Ground since then .
    Occasionally ( ? ) subject of " flag debates " comes up here . I remember original flag debates here when SC was fairly clear in his anti traditional stance while at the same time remembering how he`d made Irish flags with his pals as a lad and including For Ever and Ever in the Hibernian song book here before younger fans criticised him for it . Examples of how much our club meant to him .
    RIP Stuart

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Met Stuart way back when we first started playing with this new html stuff. I had Hibs page hosted on a Napier college server and the first time I met him was at an Internet cafe in town, where the evening news was doing piece on this new ‘thing’ I think there was about 8/10 of us there. Probably still got the photo somewhere. Anyway a year later or so as we got on ok I did a tiny bit for the rivals site. He told me one day about when he was in the RAF, he went awol to watch Hibs in the 1979 final and was jailed on his return. The night of the 2nd replay his jailor told him that a player called Duncan has scored the winning goal and Stuart sang Hibs songs in his cell all night. Wasn’t till he was released the next day he found out it was an own goal.
    RIP Stuart
    What a great story, thanks for sharing. The one about the 79 final, what a nightmare.
    RIP.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    For all who knew Stuart, his funeral service will be held at the Graham Rattray Funeral Home, Shore Street, Lossiemouth. The service will take place at 11am on Friday 31 May. All welcome who wish to attend.

I only briefly met Stuart the once but I had great admiration for him in setting up this forum and website of which I've spent over half my life. He was also very helpful with Hibs interactive and I'm grateful to what it became.

Glory Glory Stuart.

RIP Stuart, condolences to his family and friends.

Just thought I'd like to refresh the news of Stu's death. He was the Father of this site as far as I understood in the early 2000's
    RIP.