hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaa 2019

Gaa 2019

Few surprises already in the Province Championships, especially with Cavan beating Monaghan! Been some very entertaining football on show, looking forward to Mayo vs Roscommon next weekend with two very good sides hopefully going at it hammer and tongs. Live on Sky Sports as well

2. Log in to remove the advert

Mayo into fourth round of the qualifiers after sneaking through against Armagh by a single point. I was working so didn't get to see the game but reading a couple of reports it seems like Mayo tried their best to blow it again.

So, this is possibly our year! Up Mayo
    Last edited by BS44; 30-06-2019 at 06:09 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Mon the yellow bellies today.

Draw for the fourth round and Mayo get Galway, their next door neighbour in the province of Connacht. Galway play in maroon so I'm expecting nearly every one on here wants a Mayo win.

Cavan v Tyrone (Clones)
    Cork v Laois (Thurles)
    Galway v Mayo (Limerick)
    Meath v Clare (Portlaoise)

up mayo.jpeg

Humped from the Dubs

Pope Francis signing the Mayo top wasn't enough to beat the curse. The wait goes on, as does the curse.

Also, the ****ing Pope has no influence on the curse
    Last edited by BS44; 13-09-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Mayo produce one of the greatest comebacks in GAA history (according to commentator) and beat Dublin in the All Ireland Semi Final. Mayo goalie equalising with a retaken free from 45 metres after he missed with his first try, virtually the last kick of the sixty minutes.

Seventy years since we last won the Sam, this is our year. Up Mayo!
    Last edited by BS44; 15-08-2021 at 07:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I mean, it's probably not our year, but what a win all the same. Dublin hadn't been beaten in the Championship since August 2014, so to pull off that win today with a number of key players missing was an incredible and unexpected achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, it's probably not our year, but what a win all the same. Dublin hadn't been beaten in the Championship since August 2014, so to pull off that win today with a number of key players missing was an incredible and unexpected achievement.
    How are tickets for the final distributed? Would Achill for instance get a certain amount of tickets or does Mayo GAA deal with the allocation?
    Last edited by BS44; 15-08-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Mayo GAA will get a set number and then distribute them to the clubs based on club size - junior, intermediate, senior etc., so Achill will get some, but almost certainly not enough.

Every other county gets a certain (much lower) amount of tickets also as well as the provincial councils and thousands go to sponsors, a bit like the Superbowl. As ever the best bet to get tickets is to look outside the county where demand is lower or do business with one of the GAAs big sponsors.

Mayo GAA will get a set number and then distribute them to the clubs based on club size - junior, intermediate, senior etc., so Achill will get some, but almost certainly not enough.

Every other county gets a certain (much lower) amount of tickets also as well as the provincial councils and thousands go to sponsors, a bit like the Superbowl. As ever the best bet to get tickets is to look outside the county where demand is lower or do business with one of the GAAs big sponsors.
    MH, do you think the final will go ahead on the 11th or could the date change again if Tyrone are still struggling with covid problems?

I'd say it will definitely be the 11th now, Tyrone have had two postponements so they either play the game on the new date or forfeit it I think. Not sure what kind of shape they'll be in for that game, sounds like some of the team were hit quite badly with Covid.

Pretty good shape as it turns out - they beat Kerry by a point after extra time to set up the least expected final in years.

All-Ireland Senior Football Final today, 5pm throw in.

Mayo, the lads from the wild west take on the red handers Tyrone. Mayo looking to break their seventy year hoodoo and win the Sam again.

Up Mayo!

Well done to Tyrone, the better team on the day by a distance.

Coaching Staff
    Well done to Tyrone, the better team on the day by a distance.
    Mayo’s finishing was awful. Plenty chances to get points on the board including the penalty.

I'm just not convinced the current Mayo team is good enough, felt we were carrying three or four players yesterday that aren't really up to the standard and it's hard to win an All Ireland when you're doing that.

The team from around 2013 to 2017 was better and would potentially have beaten that Tyrone team, but they came up against a generational Dublin team they just couldn't beat.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm just not convinced the current Mayo team is good enough, felt we were carrying three or four players yesterday that aren't really up to the standard and it's hard to win an All Ireland when you're doing that.

The team from around 2013 to 2017 was better and would potentially have beaten that Tyrone team, but they came up against a generational Dublin team they just couldn't beat.
    Mayo have a fairly young team still so should be there or there about for a while. If you stay over here I'm playing in the Scottish final next Saturday. If you want details let me know.

First Team Breakthrough
    For anyone interested the games take place at 1pm for the junior final and 3pm for the senior final at St Ambrose High School in Coatbridge. Both games are Glasgow Gaels v Dunedin Connollys and should be competitive hard fought games.

Mayo beat Monaghan in the first round of the qualifiers. Next week we play against a loser from the provisional finals, win that then it's onto the quarters and up against one of the provisional champions

This is our year. Up Mayo!
    Last edited by BS44; 07-06-2022 at 04:57 AM.

Second qualifying round draw has been done and Mayo will play Kildare, other games are

Donegal v Armagh
    Roscommon v Clare
    Limerick v Cork

All played at neutral stadiums this weekend

Up Mayo!

Mayo 2-13 Kildare 0-14

Mayo through to quarter finals, Clare also through too.

This is the year, Up Mayo!

Dublin and Derry both won yesterday and are through to semi's. Galway and Armagh are first up today at 13.45, and then Mayo against Kerry throw-in 16.00.

Up Mayo!

As ever, this is not the year!

Far too many injuries going into the game to have had a realistic chance of winning yesterday I think. In any case Mayo look like a team in decline, there just isn't the depth of quality in the players coming through compared to what they're replacing.

Which is a shame, but the team of the 2010s were a special group. It was always going to be hard to replace them.

It feels like the loss to Tyrone last year broke a lot of the supporters as well. A lot of people I know are glad to see us out in June and looking forward to a summer without the drama after years on the road supporting the team.

Interesting that the pre-season game against Hartlepool today is being played on a shortened gaelic football pitch, GAA goals can be seen behind both ends. Looking at the venue online it seems a few inter county GAA teams use the same resort for warm weather training in the spring.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I can't say I have any team or follow it intensely, but I've found myself watching quite a few games in the past few weeks in lieu of any other decent televised sport and I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen.

An interesting sport for sure. Might try and pay attention to the full season next time around.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

This Saturday it's Derry against Galway 17.30, and Sunday Dublin play Kerry 15.30 in The All Ireland Semi Finals. Kerry favourite to win tournament 11/10, Dubs 7/4, Derry 6/1 and Galway 7/1.

Mayo Minors take on Galway Minors in their All Ireland Final tomorrow evening.

Good luck Mayo!
    Last edited by BS44; 08-07-2022 at 05:05 PM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’ll be in Galway for a couple of weeks from next Friday, so imagine the place will be buzzing with excitement for the All Ireland Football Final.

With the final being on Sunday I said to my wife that I quite fancied heading over to Croke Park for the game but she just laughed and said I’ve absolutely no chance of a ticket - don’t think there is a public sale. Thought with 82,000 capacity there was bound to be a chance!

I’ve been to Croke Park once before for the Hurling semi final when Galway were there a few years back and it was a hugely enjoyable day out, but will settle instead for TV and make sure my girls ears are covered up ahead the father in laws language during the game.

Preliminary quarter-finals this weekend in the revamped competition, four winners will join the other counties who have already qualified for the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

The Rebels of Cork have beaten Roscommon earlier today, the other two games this evening are Kildare v Monoghan, and then Donegal play Tyrone

Sunday is the main event, Mayo are playing at our border rivals Galway, throw-in 3pm.

Up Mayo, this is the year!

Mayo beat Galway by a point and are through to the quarter final, draw is tomorrow morning. Mayo can't draw Kerry so it's either Armagh, Derry or the Dubs next. Hopefully avoid Dublin and that gives Mayo a decent chance of making next round

Bowl 1
    Armagh 9/1
    Derry 9/1
    Dublin 9/4
    Kerry 2/1

Bowl 2
    Cork 28/1
    Mayo 9/2
    Monaghan 33/1
    Tyrone 11/1

Up Mayo!

And Mayo get Dublin!

Kerry v Tyrone
    Armagh v Monaghan
    Derry v Cork

All games at Croke Park next weekend, two on Saturday and other two Sunday.

Up Mayo!