hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Referee

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same for me and now having seen replay there is simply no contact and the diver goes down one step at a time. Never a penalty in a million years. The ref couldnt have given it any quicker. Hadnt heard of this ref before so did a google search before the game and apparently another from the Weeg. Are there any refs from outwith the OF main sphere of influence (not from West Central Scotland)?
    I think most of the refs are from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire branches. Very few East of Scotland, none at all from the North or Aberdeen branches.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Interestingly, about the penalty incident, Cliff Pike said "Clumsy. David Gray did catch GMS. I don't think there's any question about it".
    Sometimes his sidekick (Keith or whoever) will see video replays, but Cliff's commentary is based on what he sees from the stand.

And sometimes he talks pish.

And I still don't know who "Dave" is.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Sometimes his sidekick (Keith or whoever) will see video replays, but Cliff's commentary is based on what he sees from the stand.
    That's my point. The ref doesn't see the replays either.

If that incident had happened in the middle of the pitch to a Hibs player, never mind in the penalty box, everyone here would be wanting a foul.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

If that incident had happened in the middle of the pitch to a Hibs player, never mind in the penalty box, everyone here would be wanting a foul.
    It doesnt even look remotely like a foul in real time.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

I'd assume the referee is a lot closer to the action than Cliff Pike is.

Referee Euan Anderson tells Ayr United boss Ian McCall he's sorry for penalty error

The blundering whistler booked Jamie Adams for handball and awarded Alloa Athletic a penalty in their 3-3 draw against Ayr United at Somerset Park.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I wasn't surprised it was given. It looked to me like SDG had bumped into GMS causing him to lose his balance and then stumble. That's a foul.

Maybe I'm corrupt like the OP said the referee was.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Agree in real time didn't look like a foul and replay looked like no contact at all. Even if minor contact doesn't mean if the player dives it is a pen.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I wasn't surprised it was given. It looked to me like SDG had bumped into GMS causing him to lose his balance and then stumble. That's a foul.

Even if there was any contact and from TVs don't see any at all Grays right leg is to the side of gms then even if minor bump doesn't mean because player fall over it is a foul. And when you see the contact he allowed the rest of the game that decision is totally the opposite of how he reffed.

He was about standard for a grade 1 Scottish referee which is to say he was ****ing awful.

There are better referees operating at lower grades who have been bypassed for these jokers.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It's a great big clique if inadequate, incompetent Glasgow and Lanarkshire referees. The standard is getting worse and worse and there seems to be no process for action being taken for poor performance. Yesterday was appalling, let Aberdeen away with murder. Murray skyed a cross over the bar for a goal kick on the 81st minute, one of the defenders then goes down and eventually is subbed, by the time the game restarted it was 85 mins. I gate the way Aberdeen play but they get away with the bkatent cheating due to poor, weak refereeing

He ain't corrupt just useless.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    We've played Aberdeen 5 times this season and lost 4, including 2 games at Easter Road where we were much the better team. The difference for me is that they are more streetwise than us, they know how to play referees and take their chances when they come. They know every trick in the book but when we turn out against them it's almost like we are too naive. We're going to have to learn to play them at their own game a bit more if we want to start competing against them.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    We've played Aberdeen 5 times this season and lost 4, including 2 games at Easter Road where we were much the better team. The difference for me is that they are more streetwise than us, they know how to play referees and take their chances when they come. They know every trick in the book but when we turn out against them it's almost like we are too naive. We're going to have to learn to play them at their own game a bit more if we want to start competing against them.
    I don't want us to play them at their game, I want us to find a way of making our game beat them.

In fairness, with some better finishing in these games, our way of playing would have been more than enough to put Aberdeen away without resorting to any of their nonsense.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't want us to play them at their game, I want us to find a way of making our game beat them.

In fairness, with some better finishing in these games, our way of playing would have been more than enough to put Aberdeen away without resorting to any of their nonsense.
    Ideally I would like that too, but the evidence of the last 2 seasons suggests that we don't get anywhere against them by being the nice guys. We have to find a way to play against them better than we currently do. 1 win in 9 games against them isn't good enough.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He was very poor, but very poor for both sides.
    What, surely you were not at the game coming out with that?

What were the bad decisions against the sheep?

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post

Yes exactly.

@hibs.net private member
    Statements describing Aberdeen's knack of fooling the ref and us playing their game are the best example of how terrible the officials are in our leagues!

The very fact that these statements can be made without a legitimate challenging argument should be enough to prove that something must be done.

As soon as GMS got the ball out on the wing and began making his way into the box, i said to my mate this will be a penalty... and before i get all the sarccy comments about being psychic and all that, you only need to watch how many times GMS and other Aberdeen players play for fouls, especially in and around the box, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

The officials need retrained or replaced. The inconsistencies across the board, not only at Hibs games is horrible for our game.... I will miss Clarke if he gets the Scotland job, only for his balls to call out the SFA and their wee rubbish refs and assistants!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    What, surely you were not at the game coming out with that?

What were the bad decisions against the sheep?
    Yes, I have to agree with this question.... which decisions were Aberdeen denied? It actually got to the point yesterday that we were cheering the ref whenever we got any decision... thats how bad it was!

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I think most of the refs are from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire branches. Very few East of Scotland, none at all from the North or Aberdeen branches.
    "Branches"? Is that the "Ludge" you are referring to?

The standard of referee it takes to keep sides like Aberdeen and Hearts in check is a very high one, to be fair to him. He got a couple of decisions wrong (the penalty was a joke), but I thought he didn't fall for most of Aberdeen's tricks.

He was garbage anyone that doesn’t think he was is wrong 😉

Agree with this, Matty. I just want Hibs to be a bit more streetwise though
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    That wasn't incompetence, or any other excuse, that we witnessed today - it was blatant cheating!

I really hope Hibs dump the diplomatic silence we adhere to, and start calling these frauds out for what they are.

I know it's bad when my wife (who doesn't know the first thing about football) actually started laughing at some of the decisions today.
    I’ve said it for long enough, they maybe incompetent also, but I really feel that a lot of cheating goes on too, it’s just so blatant at times

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    I thought the ref was dreadful. Just ridiculous stuff going on.

@hibs.net private member
    Terrible ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    I’ve said it for long enough, they maybe incompetent also, but I really feel that a lot of cheating goes on too, it’s just so blatant at times
    Agree mate, but we still have people on this thread joking about the word corrupt being used, despite there being a mountain of evidence throughout Scottish football that the game has been rigged for years.

Referees are no exception, indeed there has been proof put forward in relation to the extraordinary amount of referees that make it from Lanarkshire, at the expense of elsewhere, and the fact no Edinburgh referee got the cup final for over 100 years.

We'll continue to be on the receiving end of this crap whilst we continue to turn a blind eye to it.

I agree. I basically couldn’t watch Aberdeen, Hearts or St. Johnstone every week regardless of how ‘effective’ they are.

I was absolutely gob-smacked at how subtle and choreographed some of Aberdeen’s time wasting was. When they go ahead they more or less stop playing football. Harassing refs, knowing how to foul without being booked and using big lumps up top as a focal point just isn’t for me.

Hibs will be good enough to beat these teams next season I think.

It’s interesting to see that Ferguson and Cosgrove are two of the worst offenders, young players who have been coached at Aberdeen to play the way they do. One of the tricks that really gets me is when they get a ball at their feet and, instead of moving, they stand still waiting for the approaching opposition player to close in when they promptly fall over. Cosgrove got an early free kick and Ferguson got Omeonga booked doing this.

Their play is very similar to Hertz, anti-football, but they both get away with their diving, protesting, and cynical strategic fouling.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I was in the East directly behind GMS at the penalty and I thought there was a little contact. It looked a soft penalty to me but I was a fair distance away.

What struck me about Aberdeen was how cute they were. Their centre halves were absolutely masters at doing all their fouling on the blind side of the referee and they spend so much time disrupting the opposition that they offer very little in a positive sense.

If you think all that matters in football is the result then Aberdeen are much to be admired. Make no mistake about it they were for the most point unambitious and unable to string any sort of positive move together.

But....they scored twice so job done.

Would I pay to watch it?

No chance.