hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did she state this?
    Cant exactly remember but is was reported either AGM or an interview somewhere, I'm sure someone will give exact reference.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Nobody seems to know for sure what the contract conditions are. We will certainly have a sell on clause, and, if there's a promotion clause, so much the better.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

[QUOTE=Hibernia&Alba;5789993]Nobody has the faintest idea and are throwing out wild and cockeyed guesses and ideas......

Fixed that for you....

Anyone who says they know is either privy to the contracts between the relevant clubs or they are talking nonsense.

People are also oversimplifying the situation with St Mirren, no one knows exactly what the deal was with them and there are many possibilities and potential intricacies in the contract signed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Cant exactly remember but is was reported either AGM or an interview somewhere, I'm sure someone will give exact reference.
    Can't remember that being said at the AGM. If she has said it, it must have been during an interview.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    [QUOTE=HoboHarry;5790001]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Nobody has the faintest idea and are throwing out wild and cockeyed guesses and ideas......

Fixed that for you....
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I've heard he's ours for £150k

As a side issue, I'm wondering just how far back some of these transfer deals go. Somebody mentioned Wanyama in an earlier post, and how Celtic could potentially have got a development fee for him. Would that also have applied to the Belgian club they signed him from, or the Kenyan club he started out with? It's a tricky one, but I very much doubt anybody on here actually knows the actual terms of McGinns contract in this respect, and unless he comes out and says 'by the way, St Mirren are getting **** all', we're all just guessing whether they'd get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    As a side issue, I'm wondering just how far back some of these transfer deals go. Somebody mentioned Wanyama in an earlier post, and how Celtic could potentially have got a development fee for him. Would that also have applied to the Belgian club they signed him from, or the Kenyan club he started out with? It's a tricky one, but I very much doubt anybody on here actually knows the actual terms of McGinns contract in this respect, and unless he comes out and says 'by the way, St Mirren are getting **** all', we're all just guessing whether they'd get anything.
    Yes, and any registered boys clubs he played at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    To begrudge Saints any further monies for SJM would be churlish. We got him for a very low fee considering the great service we got from him, and a decent price when he left. St Mirren are not a big club and need all the income they can get. Really don't understand why some would want to short change them while we continue to benefit
    It's nothing to do with that though. You are implying it's subjective and we can chose to give them money or not. The clauses are written down and are legality binding, neither club chooses what to do. They aren't entitled to anything unless they have a clause saying so.

I wonder what exactly our sell on fees are then. Say he moves to Everton for 30 million and we get 15% (4.5 million) Say in 2-3 years he moves to Arsenal for 60 million, are we due another 15% (9 million) Just can’t see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I wonder what exactly our sell on fees are then. Say he moves to Everton for 30 million and we get 15% (4.5 million) Say in 2-3 years he moves to Arsenal for 60 million, are we due another 15% (9 million) Just can’t see it myself.
    All depends. I doubt we get anything more than the initial fee and a nominal fee in future.

@hibs.net private member duffers's Avatar
    I think it would be 15% of whatever Villa got. So in simplistic terms, if Villa had a 15% sell on clause, they would get 9 million, and we would get 1.35 million on the back of that. We would possibly then have to give St Mirren 33% of that figure.

Edit: I think sell on clauses only take into account any profit from sales, so it would be half the amount of the figures above.
    Last edited by duffers; 19-05-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    All depends. I doubt we get anything more than the initial fee and a nominal fee in future.
    I think we probably get a one time sell on fee, just like St Mirren will. Can’t see them getting any more from us.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    No, or else st mirren would be getting their £20m.

Obviously it's hypothetical as no one knows the agreement we have either, but assuming we do have a sell on clause, it would depend on the agreement Villa got when selling to Everton.

If they didn't add a sell on clause then we would get nothing.
    If they had 10% then the money would trickle down;Villa would get £6m, we'd get our % of that, and st mirren their % of our %.

None of our transfer dealing contracts are in the public domain and are covered by strict commercial confidentiality. All the speculation on here about this particular contract is based on fantasy.

Does the club insist on personal contract obligations on the player as well as the other club that outlive the initial transaction? Who knows but you can bet your bottom dollar that a former merchant banker loved by one and all will have extracted maximum benefit for the club even though said individual gets pelters for and about everything.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    St. Mirren will be due a percentage of any money we receive for McGinn.
    We took a lower original fee in order for sell on clauses to be placed on the contract. The meant st. Mirren got less at the time of the sale so they are rightly entitled to collect when the sell on fees come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good point your making regarding the original fee, it could actually be better for us if Villa don't get promoted and a premiership club offer Villa the kind of money they can't turn down, this presents another question of what the sell on fee is

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    None of our transfer dealing contracts are in the public domain and are covered by strict commercial confidentiality. All the speculation on here about this particular contract is based on fantasy.

Does the club insist on personal contract obligations on the player as well as the other club that outlive the initial transaction? Who knows but you can bet your bottom dollar that a former merchant banker loved by one and all will have extracted maximum benefit for the club even though said individual gets pelters for and about everything.
    From the post balance sheet events note in St Mirren's 2018 accounts:

Following John McGinn's transfer from Hibernian to Aston Villa, the Club became entitled to compensation in respect of his sell on clause. The terms of the contract are covered by a confidentiality agreement.