hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hadn’t watched The Thick of It before, but I’m almost finished it already. It’s absolutely hilarious, I take it they have stopped making it now?
    Yeah, only twenty-odd episodes. I used to prefer the early ones but having rewatched the whole lot a few times I think they are all absolute gems.

There is also a film “In The Loop” which has a lot of the cast playing essentially the same type of characters but with slightly different identities. It parodies the run-up to the Iraq invasion and the ‘dodgy dossier”. It’s one that I’ve enjoyed more every time I’ve seen it. The Jamie McDonald character is typically ferocious, the hapless minister is played by an excellent Tom Hollander and there is a great cameo by Steve Coogan. And even a role for the late, missed James Gandolfini.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Yeah, only twenty-odd episodes. I used to prefer the early ones but having rewatched the whole lot a few times I think they are all absolute gems.

There is also a film “In The Loop” which has a lot of the cast playing essentially the same type of characters but with slightly different identities. It parodies the run-up to the Iraq invasion and the ‘dodgy dossier”. It’s one that I’ve enjoyed more every time I’ve seen it. The Jamie McDonald character is typically ferocious, the hapless minister is played by an excellent Tom Hollander and there is a great cameo by Steve Coogan. And even a role for the late, missed James Gandolfini.
    I’ll definitely watch that after I’m finished the rest of The Thick of It.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

I always think the Thick Of It struggled for an episode or 2 because they had to write Chris Langhams departure in so suddenly and couldn't really give it the story it needed.

I agree with you though, some of the scenes in the later episodes are absolute comedy gold and every bit as good as the 1st couple of series.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I always think the Thick Of It struggled for an episode or 2 because they had to write Chris Langhams departure in so suddenly and couldn't really give it the story it needed.

I agree with you though, some of the scenes in the later episodes are absolute comedy gold and every bit as good as the 1st couple of series.
    Yeah, the Langham departure was a wobble understandably. I get they played it in with the whole leadership challenge thing but it still felt a bit awkward - phone calls to Hugh in Australia and so on!

Thinking about the show as a whole in response to the previous poster, it came flooding back just how many classic one-liners and short and also extended exchanges there are, it’s all about rapid and witty dialogue.

If one didn’t know it beforehand it shows clearly why Armando Ianucci is such a huge fan of ‘Yes Minister’ and ‘Yes Prime Minister’.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars