hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too. Think I've said this before buy I remember the announcer at 'Radio Hibs' that night telling us of the SAS storming the Iranian Embassy.....
    I remember that game think it was the night of the Davis/Taylor snooker final. May be totally wrong but the game was horrible.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Those were my formative years as a Hibee, probably explains a lot about my generally gloomy outlook... Still, it makes the bright moments all the sweeter.

I started going regularly in our 79/80 relegation season.

I think those of us brought up in that era are a sturdy breed.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    The worst one has to be the final game of the relegation season 1979/80.

Played on a Monday night, we were already down a couple of weeks previously. The Saturday beforehand, Aberdeen came to ER and walloped us 5-0 to take the league. Fergie running about the pitch with ER bathed in glorious May sunshine, and packed to the rafters with thousands of sheep.

Three days later, its raining, playing Partick Thistle in a complete meaningless game. So few at the match, only the West stand & enclosures were opened.

We lost 1-0 and I was one of the 1191 people who paid cash to watch it.
    Aye, I was there as well. A rather bleak night!

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

Played on a Monday night, we were already down a couple of weeks previously. The Saturday beforehand, Aberdeen came to ER and walloped us 5-0 to take the league. Fergie running about the pitch with ER bathed in glorious May sunshine, and packed to the rafters with thousands of sheep.

Three days later, its raining, playing Partick Thistle in a complete meaningless game. So few at the match, only the West stand & enclosures were opened.

Yeh, that was the first season that I never missed a game. We were dreadful and to think we should have won the Scottish Cup the previous May

Ah missed s few midweek ones including that one But that surely has to
    Be one of our Lowest ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    It wasn't exactly the greatest era for Hibs. Going by league finishes only (I know), Auld wasn't even the worst.

Auld
    81-82 - 36pts - 6th

Stanton
    82-83 - 29pts - 7th
    83-84 - 31pts - 7th

Blackley
    84-85 - 27pts - 8th
    85-86 - 28pts - 8th

Blackley/Millar
    86-87 - 33pts - 9th
    If I was being charitable to Auld, I’d give him credit for getting us out of the old 2nd division at the first time of asking, however those stats make for interesting but thoroughly depressing reading. The 80s really were a lost decade for Hibs. Relegation at the start of the decade was followed by years of struggle leading to the Duff/Gray takeover and we all know how that almost ended. There were a few bright spots (Archibald, Best) but not much to shout about. For those of us who grew up in the 70s watching the Tornadoes and the other teams from that era, watching Hibs in the 80s made for grim viewing. Compare that with the atmosphere around the club now and it feels like a different club entirely.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Me too. Think I've said this before buy I remember the announcer at 'Radio Hibs' that night telling us of the SAS storming the Iranian Embassy.....
    I was at the Aberdeen game when they win the league but didn't go to the last game. Even as an 11 year old who loved football I couldn't get motivated for that one! Tough tough going in the 80s for the most part. Was a decade that I hardly missed a game and makes me really grateful for what we are experiencing at the moment. Anyone who endured the 80s and still attends really should get some kind of award

Might be “officially announced “ as sold out but pound to a penny there will still be ‘empty seats’.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Might be “officially announced “ as sold out but pound to a penny there will still be ‘empty seats’.
    Still plenty of seats in the South....

If people buy tickets but choose not to go, there's not much the club can do.

Maybe put blow up dolls in the empty seats?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I understand your thinking and I agree. It's not the first time it has been sold out.

It makes the guaranteed empty seats even more embarrassing come Sunday.
    Personally I've got better things to worry about TBH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As long as the seat has been sold Hibs get paid. That’s all that really matters

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ll be sitting in the south as my daughter is doing a lap of honour at halftime with all the other boys and girls from the youth teams. Be sure to give them a big cheer

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I remember that game think it was the night of the Davis/Taylor snooker final. May be totally wrong but the game was horrible.
    It was Cliff Thornburn who beat Alex Higgins in that 1980 snooker final.

Just thinking, was that 1986/87 points total when 3 points were awarded for a win? It was certainly the first season the premier league was 12 teams. No daft split, each team played each other giving a 44 games!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Of course there will be empty seats. There are very very few games , if any , that literally have every single seat occupied.

Not really sure what your point is tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Just thinking, was that 1986/87 points total when 3 points were awarded for a win? It was certainly the first season the premier league was 12 teams. No daft split, each team played each other giving a 44 games!

It wasn't 3 points for a win but you're right about the number of games. They increased from 36 to 44, hence the slight increase in the points total

The final tally for the season was:

W D L F A Pts
    10 13 21 44 70 33

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Not really sure what your point is tbh
    My point is that the club needn’t announce a ‘sellout’ or make a big deal of it. Is it a reverse psychology marketing ploy to urge more fans to come along? To a ‘true’ fan it should not matter where you’re situated in the ground. If the East is sold out and someone trying to purchase a ticket for the game in the East is the told, sorry only FF, West or South now available, they would, I hope, not then decide “Ach - stuff it. If I can’t sit in the East, I’m not going”.

There’s so much written on here about sellouts, dot counts, etc that seem to be of great importance to many of the posters to the forum. Really, it’s not that big a deal if we sell all seats or not, or whether they are occupied. I agree though, a sold seat is money in the coffers for the club.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    My point is that the club needn’t announce a ‘sellout’ or make a big deal of it. Is it a reverse psychology marketing ploy to urge more fans to come along? To a ‘true’ fan it should not matter where you’re situated in the ground. If the East is sold out and someone trying to purchase a ticket for the game in the East is the told, sorry only FF, West or South now available, they would, I hope, not then decide “Ach - stuff it. If I can’t sit in the East, I’m not going”.

There’s so much written on here about sellouts, dot counts, etc that seem to be of great importance to many of the posters to the forum. Really, it’s not that big a deal if we sell all seats or not, or whether they are occupied. I agree though, a sold seat is money in the coffers for the club.
    I think it is just marketing as you say. Just a simple: "we've a game on Sunday and tickets are selling well. Thanks to those who have helped sell the east out, anyone else looking to come best hurry and buy a tickey'

Your last sentence sums up why it's about seats sold rather than who actually attends - that's where the money is.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    It was Cliff Thornburn who beat Alex Higgins in that 1980 snooker final.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    ok cool

I understand your thinking and I agree. It's not the first time it has been sold out.

Its the final game of the season with nothing to play for apart from a chance to consign Aberdeen to 4th place, which should incentive enough for anybody to go if you ask me But its hardly an embarrassment if folk find something else to do given how unimportant the game is to Hibs as a competitive event.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    What’s with all the negative pish, why can’t we be happy that nearly 3000 non season ticket holders have bought tickets for an end of season game. There will be an official crowd of about 19000 which is the amount of seats sold. I couldn’t care less if season ticket holders can’t make it, their seats are sold and it’s their choice whether they attend or not. I know of 2 seats that won’t be used as they are away for 2 months. I am sure there will be others who have a life outside football
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 18-05-2019 at 03:12 PM.

I'm delighted as my daughter is going to a game with her pal and for the first time without her dad. (I'm abroad so will try and find a link.) Delighted also because a season ticket holder from down south 😉 was generous enough to let us use his tickets. They will have a bite to eat and a beer or two before the game and stay behind to applaud the players.

Until next season GGTTH!

Do we have to walk round through the Aberdeen crowd to get into the south, have my foster laddie and taking him to his first game tomorrow, don’t want it to be a bad experience crowd wise

Quote Originally Posted by nic81 View Post
    Do we have to walk round through the Aberdeen crowd to get into the south, have my foster laddie and taking him to his first game tomorrow, don’t want it to be a bad experience crowd wise

I imagine you'd be able to get there via Hawkhill Avenue by going past the East Stand entrances, but I doubt there'll be any crowd trouble - pounds to peanuts the police won't see the need to segregate after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nic81 View Post

You can go round behind the east I'm fairly sure.

There will be at least 15k there even if it's given as 18k+. End of 2007 we played Celtic who were Champions and will have brought more than Aberdeen will. Fletcher, Zemamma, Brown, Murphy played amongst others. It was only 2 months after we'd won the League Cup.

The attendance....... 13885

Bit if perspective

@hibs.net private member
    Just thinking, was that 1986/87 points total when 3 points were awarded for a win?
    3 points for a win was introduced in 1994/95.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    Auld was a strong contender for worst ever Hibs manager. Some of the football we played under him was eye wateringly bad. It was brutal stuff.
    We had played for & got a 0-0 draw at Ibrox in the League Cup sections we had no chance of qualifying from. I met our Chairman, the late Kenny Waugh that evening at Powderhall Dogs. He asked me what I thought of the game. ‘ Didn’t go coz the wee weegie f@@k only plays for a draw’ Auld was sacked on the Monday.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Sold out aye 😂