hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can only attacking players be world class?

Would you not say a defender for one of the top club sides in the world, who has played, and been an important player in reaching, the top club game in Europe for the last two seasons, as well as nearly winning the top league in the world, might make him, by definition world class? He is literally, playing at the top of world football.
    Next you will be telling me Jordan Henderson and James Milner are world class as they have played consecutive finals.

Just because Messi hasn't won World Cup doesn’t stop him being world class.

2. Log in to remove the advert

You named six world class attackers, can there not be six world class left backs too, and you can add Robertson in 😀
    Named 5 above who have played at a higher level for longer.

Robertson needs to maintain this level for several seasons to even be considered a great player.

Maldini was world class.

Are you telling me Robertson is the same level ??

Paul Lambert won the champions league - he wasn’t world class and wouldn’t make the top 1000 world class players ever list.

Left by mutual consent!
    Robertson is either first or second in his position in the world .

That makes him world class.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Where does he rank in world class ratings then?

If he is world class what are all the other Liverpool players ?

Salah
    Mane

For starters...

Salah and Mane not even same level as Messi or Ronaldo.
    Well he got in the PFA team of the year.

I'd say most of the Liverpool players are world class.

First Team Regular
    Next you will be telling me Jordan Henderson and James Milner are world class as they have played consecutive finals.

I really wont. Neither are among the top players in their position. And I never said a peep about Messi.

Anyway, it's always a pointless discussion because world class is a meaningless and entirely subjective term.

These players are both hugely under-appreciated and they are part of the reason their team has reached back to back European Cup finals.

I'm happy with the definition that if you're one of the best in the world in your position then you're world class.

Klopp kens a thing or two about football and I suspect he'd consider him to be world class.

Now, about the McKenna position...........

Same team of year as Pogba ?!

First Team Regular

Robertson needs to maintain this level for several seasons to even be considered a great player.

Maldini was world class.

Paul Lambert won the champions league - he wasn’t world class and wouldn’t make the top 1000 world class players ever list.
    No, I'm not saying that Robertson is better than Maldini - although, given how the role of full back has changed, Maldini could not do what Robertson does in terms of bombing up and down the flank and creating goals.

As I say, it's totally subjective.

In my opinion, anyone who can be so demonstrably one of the top players in his position, in one of the top teams, playing at the very top of world football is probably world class.

No, I'm not saying that Robertson is better than Maldini - although, given how the role of full back has changed, Maldini could not do what Robertson does in terms of bombing up and down the flank and creating goals.

As I say, it's totally subjective.

In my opinion, anyone who can be so demonstrably one of the top players in his position, in one of the top teams, playing at the very top of world football is probably world class.
    Fair enough.

I measure it against previous levels.

Not just current players.

Just because a footballer is doing well - doesn’t automatically mean they are world class.

Robertson has a long way to go before he’s a Scotland great / let alone world class player.

Speak to others in world football and they will never have heard of Robertson.

Maldini etc are true world class players and hence why I laugh when I hear players like Robertson given that tag. I don’t see them anywhere near that level and never will be.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Alba
    Marcelo
    Alonso
    Alaba
    Sandro

5 of the top of my head
    Marcos Alonso? 😲 I’d take Andy Robertson over him every single day of the week.

Also the Chelsea fans don’t rate Alonso at all. He’s virtually their scapegoat. They were desperately wanting Sarri to drop him.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Marcos Alonso? 😲 I’d take Andy Robertson over him every single day of the week.

Also the Chelsea fans don’t rate Alonso at all. He’s virtually their scapegoat. They were desperately wanting Sarri to drop him.
    Sums up the point of view really. Robertson has outperformed every one of the 5 listed this season. No questions. If you’re the best in your position you are world class which he is

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Fair enough.

Just because a footballer is doing well - doesn’t automatically mean they are world class.

Robertson has a long way to go before he’s a Scotland great / let alone world class player.

Maldini etc are true world class players and hence why I laugh when I hear players like Robertson given that tag. I don’t see them anywhere near that level and never will be.
    You're having a shocker. Robertson IS world class. Either best or 2nd best in his position in the world. As for him not being known world wide, really don't think that's true in the slightest. So many people watch the EPL and Liverpool in general around the world. I have a Scotland top with Robertson on the back that I wear here in the States and ive had many people comment on it and Liverpool.

He's known, make no mistake about it.

Maldini was world class.

So Mbappe won't be considered for being great for a few years also? Is that how this works?

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    You're having a shocker. Robertson IS world class. Either best or 2nd best in his position in the world. As for him not being known world wide, really don't think that's true in the slightest. So many people watch the EPL and Liverpool in general around the world. I have a Scotland top with Robertson on the back that I wear here in the States and ive had many people comment on it and Liverpool.

I kinda get what is being argued here.

Think about this though, is Robertson to Scotland what Gareth Bale is to Wales, for example?

I'd probably have to say no. Not yet at least, but hopefully that does happen! Appreciate they're in different positions but Bale started at a left back...

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post

If that is the case then the definition of world class has seriously deteriorated over the years and that is not being disrespectful to Andy Robertson who is an excellent player.

From today's generation, Messi and Ronaldo would be the only ones regarded as world-class, back in the seventies it would have been the exceptional players of the day like Best, Cruff & Beckenbauer and not who was considered to be the best in any particular position at that particular time.

Robertson is doing well at Liverpool but wouldn't call him world class. That's reserved for truly special players like Messi and Ronaldo, imo of course. In years gone by Zidane, Pirlo, fat Ronaldo, Henry, Scholes, Del Piero etc. I'd call them world class.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    If that is the case then the definition of world class has seriously deteriorated over the years and that is not being disrespectful to Andy Robertson who is an excellent player.

From today's generation, Messi and Ronaldo would be the only ones regarded as world-class, back in the seventies it would have been the exceptional players of the day like Best, Cruff & Beckenbauer and not who was considered to be the best in any particular position at that particular time.
    So genuine question, you don't think there is a single world class defender or midfield player at the moment?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it shows how wide ranging people's use of the term is. Personally I consider world class to be someone who wouldn't look out of place in a world 11, and who is one of the top in their position. Yours is far more elite.

So effectively, everyone here is arguing at cross purposes.

Robertson plays in one of the top teams in the world, in his position there are few better than him.

Equally, that doesn't make him an all time great, not even close at the moment.

So genuine question, you don't think there is a single world class defender or midfield player at the moment?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it shows how wide ranging people's use of the term is. Personally I consider world class to be someone who wouldn't look out of place in a world 11, and who is one of the top in their position. Yours is far more elite.

So effectively, everyone here is arguing at cross purposes.

Robertson plays in one of the top teams in the world, in his position there are few better than him.

Equally, that doesn't make him an all time great, not even close at the moment.
    My view too. There can easily be 100 or more world class players in the world at any given time. I dont think you necessarily need to be the best in the world to be considered world class. I think Robertson has a very justified claim to be classed as a world class full back.

Jeez, who cares if Robertson is classed as "World Class" or not. He is a very good player, who's had two fantastic seasons, well respected by fans, fellow footballers & the media. Saying anything else is an opinion, not a fact.

Anyway, what's the latest with the next Scotland Manager?

Alba
    Marcelo
    Alonso
    Alaba
    Sandro

5 of the top of my head

Which Alonso is this you’re talking about? Surely can’t be the Alonso that now struggles to get a game for Chelsea?

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Jeez, who cares if Robertson is classed as "World Class" or not. He is a very good player, who's had two fantastic seasons, well respected by fans, fellow footballers & the media. Saying anything else is an opinion, not a fact.

Anyway, what's the latest with the next Scotland Manager?
    Yep, and I think the point is "at least there's one top notch player for a new manager, quality of the like we've not had to much of in recent decades" when we're getting all down in the dumps about the lack of quality any new manager will have to work with.

What a nonsense this thread is.

How can only 2 people be "world class"??? If you're picking a team of the best players in the world surely they are all "world class" if they get in the team no matter how good or bad they are. If there were only 11 footballers in the whole world and I was one of them then I would genuinely be "world class"

People are confusing "All Time Greats" with "World Class"

Andy Robertson is definitely one of the best in the world in his position but he has a great team round him. Like the previous poster said, he's probably not at the Bale level where he would carry Scotland to a major championships but stick in another couple of real quality players in the Scotland team and we could do well.

Hopefully McTominay and McGinn can be those players. Tierney as well seems to have huge potential.

Just need a manager who can get more out of the "average" Scotland players.

Fair enough.

Maybe you are getting mixed up with legends and world class. Robertson right now is world class

Alba
    Marcelo
    Alonso
    Alaba
    Sandro

5 of the top of my head
    Surely to god you don't mean Marcus Alonso? Absolute dreadful this season and wanted out by Chelsea fans.

Haha..opinions.

He isn’t world class.

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Suarez
    Augero
    Silva
    Hazard

To name a few are in the top list.

Robertson isn’t near the level of these guys. Good player / great guy but still long way to go before he’s considered world class.
    Suarez isn't the player he was, just a quick look at his recent champions League record shows that.

Robertson is easily one of the best left backs in the world.

I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I kinda get what is being argued here.

Think about this though, is Robertson to Scotland what Gareth Bale is to Wales, for example?

I'd probably have to say no. Not yet at least, but hopefully that does happen! Appreciate they're in different positions but Bale started at a left back...
    Robertson's obviously a good player given that he's playing in a fine Liverpool side. However, it's tempting to overrate him simply because it's so unusual these days for a Scottish player to be turning out for a top English side. As you say his presence in the Scotland team has done little to improve our fortunes at international level.

Liverpool would also likely have failed to reach the Champions League final if he hadn't been subbed off at half time in the semi-final, bearing in mind his replacement scored two goals.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.
    If Robertson was a Brazilian who had just discovered a Scottish granny and decided to play for us now, we'd be lapping him up.

I suppose if you're being hyper-critical it might be fair to say that he hasn't yet looked anything like the player he is for Liverpool when playing for Scotland (then there's his highly suspicious dental problem no show for the Kazakhstan game) therefore leading to some Scots not rating him as highly as they might expect to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairney11 View Post
    Which Alonso is this you’re talking about? Surely can’t be the Alonso that now struggles to get a game for Chelsea?
    He was rubbish at Mclaren last season and making a hash broon of the Indy 500 testing

I always look at the term world class as meaning the player would be selected for any team in the world - hence Messi and Ronaldo are world class. Not too many others when you think about it and whilst Robertson is a genuine quality player he hasn't risen to that level - yet.

Andy Robertson and Jordi Alba have been streets ahead of any LBs in the world this season.