hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

How long would you work without any wages? (Bolton Wanderers)

An article posted by MOTD this morning is talking about the non-playing staff at BWFC having a food bank set up for them - with many not having been paid since April.

If you put yourself in those shoes how long would you go without pay if it meant you were still working for Hibs for example?

Here's the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48268140?ns_linkname=sport&ns_campaign=bbc_match_o f_the_day&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook
    Last edited by Jones28; 15-05-2019 at 08:27 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Current actual job, I'd leave the same day that I failed to get paid.

For a job I loved, like working for Hibs I'd maybe give it a month or two but it would all depend on my financial situation. Not many people can afford to go without pay for several months.

very few I guess. regardless of how much you like your job, you get paid because it's less fun than other things.

withdraw that money and it ain't happening.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just Jimmy; 15-05-2019 at 10:35 PM.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Loyalty is one thing and I can definitely see the argument for people continuing to work for nothing.

Having said that as someone who lives with a disabled partner and income is already tight, I would be looking for new work ASAP. I'm sure most people would agree but when it comes down to it, we have to survive and survival costs money.

It is times like this I wish I was 8 again, running around the back garden in my Hibs kit pretending to score a hat-trick against the Yams with jumpers for goalposts *sigh*

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I love what I do, and I love the institution I do it for (perhaps I'm weird, but I'm proud to say I work where I do), but if salary were stopped I wouldn't be doing it for them for much longer.

Football clubs really have an obligation to be looking after these people, and that Bolton have let it get to donations and foodbanks is unconscionable IMO. They've paid footballers weekly salaries that probably equate to annual salaries for some of these people for years, certainly during the Premier League years.

I'd be off like snow from a dyke if it wasn't resolved with a week or 2 at most.

Left by mutual consent!
    If they said that they couldn't pay me the end of this month but would get it to me combined with next months wages I would be fine with that. Anything longer and that would be the end of that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Not very long for me unless there was some kind of guarantee the money would definitely be paid. If that was the case then maybe a couple of months at most.

I’m surprised people need a food bank if they were just paid in April, obviously already struggling on their salary which is quite sad considering how much they were probably paying the players.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would show my work some loyalty for sticking by me for over ten years to be honest.

It really depend son the circumstances.

A one off error, computer glitch, update gone wrong etc that was resolved relatively quickly then I'd probably let it slide. If it was a symptom of a bigger problem, as is the case at Bolton, I'd be looking to get out asap. When new owners come in at Bolton how much loyalty will they show when costs inevitably have to be cut?

There was a report recently which suggested that people earning the national average wage were only 3 missed paychecks away from a crisis. With that in mind it would be madness not to consider your opinions when such a situation arose.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    If this place says sorry were no paying you this month id be on the IT boards quicker than you can say baws!

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An article posted by MOTD this morning is talking about the non-playing staff at BWFC having a food bank set up for them - with many not having been paid since April.

If you put yourself in those shoes how long would you go without pay.....(snip)
    It happened to me a year or two back.

Wee glitch at work meant I only got three-fifths of my salary one month. My position is split between two departments (0.4 and 0.6 FTE) and someone decided to delete me from the 0.4 budget (nothing sinister, lets just use a Rod-ism and call it "exuberance with spreadsheets"....).

Payroll played silly people for a day or two and wouldn't do an extra pay-run for the bit missed (40% of my salary, if you've been paying attention...). Said they would add it on to next month's pay...!!

My boss took the bull by the horns and stumped up cash (from her own pocket, I believe) and a brown envelope was handed to me next morning. Paid it back in full on next pay day.

Not a nice experience, and it was only 4/5 days I was short of part of my salary. Really feel for the workers (not highly paid players) at Bolton or anywhere else that goes through far worse than I endured.

In the case of being a footballer they would probably be wanting assurances that they were insured. If they were playing without being paid and received a serious injury would they be compensated or paid?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Happened to me once many years ago due to the company I worked for having problems. We were weekly paid (some would say weakly ) it went on for three weeks. We had all been promised it would be resolved within four weeks at the most and it was. I had served my time with them and felt loyal enough to let it slide for up to four weeks. I was single then with very few financial commitments so it wasn't really that big an issue.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Probably a month. I get paid 4 weekly so if it was resolved by the next pay it's no biggy.

I'd likely look for other things at the same time though.

I'd imagine most of the staff at a football club are on pretty low salaries, so I wouldn't blame them if they looked for another job immediately.

I'm in the very fortunate position that I don't live hand-to-mouth, but I have done in the past and it really is hard.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Are these employees (or volunteers) being taken advantage of because of blind loyalty to a football club?

I would say they absolutely are, especially when you consider that the playing staff have been paid.

As someone who has been on the other end of this in owning a business that has suffered some difficult moments, it can be interesting to see who is prepared to work with you when you're in the deep stuff.

It can also be interesting to see how quickly your fortunes improve when the "snaw aff a dyke" brigade disappear.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be off in a heartbeat.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    If it was a small one-off technical glitch, I would give them the benefit of the doubt as long as I got paid very soon.

If it continuously kept happening and it went on over a month, I’d be off in a heartbeat.

Many of the fans work in poorly paid jobs and paid for their season ticket wit this hard earned money- play for them. When the players are gone to pastures new next season, the fans will still be doing the above.

It’s very easy to say you’d jump, but I know a lot of the staff affected and they’ve been at the club for decades in some cases. If they had quit then they would have lost all rights to any redundancy money once the club went in to administration. It hasn’t happened as yet but generally speaking it is only a matter of time. They’re all cracking people and deserve so much better than what they’ve had to put up with in the last 12-18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Happened to me once many years ago due to the company I worked for having problems. We were weekly paid (some would say weakly ) it went on for three weeks. We had all been promised it would be resolved within four weeks at the most and it was. I had served my time with them and felt loyal enough to let it slide for up to four weeks. I was single then with very few financial commitments so it wasn't really that big an issue.
    Same when I was a Scaffolder for a small firm, went just over a month without a wage, was a struggle though, tapping my big bro for a few pints and making ’Saughton Specials’ to make my baccy last longer 😆 I was fully paid up with a wee added financial bonus added so that softened the blow, couldn't afford to do it nowadays though.