hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m with Heckingbottom. Yes they have some massive players in that league and they do tend to be very fit I still think it’s more technical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is more technical, simply based on the fact that they have more money to spend on more technical players, but it is still a league that is all about being strong, big and able to run lots. Sometimes players go there from Scotland and thrive (normally if they are about the physical attributes) and sometimes they struggle.

Other than a small handful of teams who choose to play a particular way I don't think our league is any more physical, if anything it is less so.

And if Levein and McInnes left to work elsewhere then I don't think this would even be a conversation worth having.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Undoubtably our game is allowed to be too physical and it hurts our game both in Europe and Internationally.

Quite simply, refs allow far too many niggly fouls to go unpunished (never mind blatant assaults). Because of this, managers will tend to recruit and select bruisers as opposed to skillful ball players because they know that the bruisers are not punished and are allowed to prosper. This obviously results in a paucity of genuine talent making the breakthrough and we end up with early european exits and a crap international team.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It may have come from our own manager but that comment is utter nonsense.

No way is our league more physical than the Championship. That league is all about the brawn.

We have a few overly physical teams and refs can be weak. The same inconsistencies can occur there.
    He said tackles which were not punished in the Scottish league would be punished in the English championship he was talking about the refereeing of games.

Testimonial Due
    Biggest problem in my eyes is the fact that when referees have a bad game there is no punishment given out to them?
    Week after week you see the same niggles and the same tackles going in, pushing and pulling in the box at corners and free kicks!!
    Yet we got penalised at the week end, if the referee saw something that no one else did then fine, but the next day Flanningan gets booked and no penalty given????
    The referees have got to be held responsible for their actions, the same way that players and managers do!!!!!

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I’m not sure I want to move to EPL style football which is fast becoming a non contact sport/diving competition

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I’m not sure I want to move to EPL style football which is fast becoming a non contact sport/diving competition
    I agree to an extent there is a balance though and poor tackles need to be punished more while also allowing skilful players to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I do, I want to see more of a passing game because players have that extra split second of knowing they aren't about to get hoofed into the air. Not to mention that we can't really complain that major sponsors won't pay us big bucks when the product is of the industrial variety......

A funny quirk of our game is that we are seemingly wedded to the idea of a physical, 'up and at em' style but we do not produce players that match that style of play. England (and many other nations) are on a different planet from Scotland physically, both domestically and internationally.

The game's gone a bit soft. I used to like the old gutsy stuff with tackles going in and players getting up and limping away. Watch videos of the 70s and see.
    The worst thing is watching a game on a plastic pitch and the slightest touch leads to a free kick. Awful.

Dont agree that hearts and Aberdeen are to blame for Scottish football being poor. Yes they’re big and physical but we have some big boys that like to mix it. Bartley, Milligan, Hanlon, mcgregor, Stevenson all put the boot in. Everyone wants to see nice fitba but good players cost a lot money and teams in Scotland don’t have it