Thread: Lennon

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if lenny being in line with Scotland job
    F#####g hope no!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We all backed him heavily when he was here - if we are being honest, he brought a lot of baggage with him. Towards the end of his tenure, he completely lost the plot. I’ve heard some horror stories from a couple of first team players and I’m glad we are shot of him. If Celtic take him on full time then they are in deep ****...

He's the Celtic manager and should be treated as such. He showed himself up this season at both hibs and Celtic as being tactically inept and a one dimensional manager in the sense that he can't change his attitude towards players. He also very very rarely took any blame for defeats as he replicated yesterday where he blamed his players rather than actually coming up with a plan to beat rangers high press. A bang average manager made out to be better than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    We all backed him heavily when he was here - if we are being honest, he brought a lot of baggage with him. Towards the end of his tenure, he completely lost the plot. I’ve heard some horror stories from a couple of first team players and I’m glad we are shot of him. If Celtic take him on full time then they are in deep ****...

Heard the same

Well shot of by all accounts

Time to move on

Watching yesterday's game, he had one tricky winger (Johnston) who you need to play to feet. And he had one pacy forward (Burke) and to get him in the game you need your midfield to play one touch fast passing (to suck the opposition in, lose their shape, and open up the space for the pass in behind and the speedy boy to run onto)...that's if you want to get the best out of them.

Yesterday's Lennon team played the ball to feet to Burke in tight spaces every time (where he lost it - it's not his strength).
    And they didn't get the ball to Johnston at all.
    The Celtic midfield all wanted 2, 3, 4 touches on the ball - slow as anything.

It was like watching early season Lennon's Hibs - where he couldn't figure out how to play David Gray and Martin Boyle together on one flank, or Lewis & Horgan on the other.

The cup final looks to me like it'll be 1-0 either way and right now I wouldn't be confident Lennon will pick the right team or tactics for it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    If Neil Lennon wants to restore his relationship with any Hibs Fans still miffed about his departure, or the latter part of his tenure at ER, all he needs to do to put things right* is win the Cup Final....preferably by a few goals.

* This is a light hearted post, please don't overreact.
    I know it was meant as a joke but the need for that disclaimer at the end is the possibly the single best way to accurately represent the collective attitude and personality of this forum 😂

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    That would tie in with the remarkable upturn in form after he left

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Lennon's got previous for making good players look like SH!£.

He's managed to turn what was a decent celtic side into bang average.

Right now hertz might get the benefit. God help us!
    This.
    It never comes up in any of the will he won't he get the celtic job debates. That are on radio Scotland just how poor he had hibs playing and the mess he left at the end of his tenure or how he has taken Rodgers celtic who were coasting to the title backwards. It is all about how he is getting job done.

Chris Hughton has just become avaliable. Be a decent shout for the Celtic job.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Hopefully he will bring his mate Colin Calderclown with him!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He won't be out of a job for long.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibstag View Post
    This.
    It never comes up in any of the will he won't he get the celtic job debates. That are on radio Scotland just how poor he had hibs playing and the mess he left at the end of his tenure or how he has taken Rodgers celtic who were coasting to the title backwards. It is all about how he is getting job done.
    Which he is. He's proved himself a steady pair of hands with a squad he didn't sign, having been brought in at a time when there was still work to do to ensure the league title would be secured. Yesterday's defeat was Celtic's first in 16 and mattered little other than to hand some bragging rights to success-starved Rangers fans. Lennon won the previous Old Firm game (which had something riding on it) and backed that up by winning what on paper looked a testing Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen.

Folk seem to think Celtic were turning in swashbuckling displays on a weekly basis this season while Rodgers was in charge. That simply wasn't the case, as anyone who saw us turn them over at ER in December will recall. Rodgers also lost the Old Firm game at Ibrox in January.

If he goes on to win the cup final, I find it hard to see how anyone can say Lennon hasn't done a decent job there. And by doing so, he'll enhance an already strong CV. Over the last three years he'll have taken Hibs back to the top flight, steered us to our highest ever league points tally and had us in the running for second place right up until the final week of the season (the way some on here belittle that achievement would have you believe we challenge for second spot on an annual basis!). He's now well on course to ensure Celtic complete the treble treble.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Which he is. He's proved himself a steady pair of hands with a squad he didn't sign, having been brought in at a time when there was still work to do to ensure the league title would be secured. Yesterday's defeat was Celtic's first in 16 and mattered little other than to hand some bragging rights to success-starved Rangers fans. Lennon won the previous Old Firm game (which had something riding on it) and backed that up by winning what on paper looked a testing Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen.

Folk seem to think Celtic were turning in swashbuckling displays on a weekly basis this season while Rodgers was in charge. That simply wasn't the case, as anyone who saw us turn them over at ER in December will recall. Rodgers also lost the Old Firm game at Ibrox in January.

If he goes on to win the cup final, I find it hard to see how anyone can say Lennon hasn't done a decent job there. And by doing so, he'll enhance an already strong CV. Over the last three years he'll have taken Hibs back to the top flight, steered us to our highest ever league points tally and had us in the running for second place right up until the final week of the season (the way some on here belittle that achievement would have you believe we challenge for second spot on an annual basis!). He's now well on course to ensure Celtic complete the treble treble.

Some very good points there GBY

Difficult to argue with any of it on paper anyway

In my honest opinion he never recovered from selecting the wrong team and tactics against Hearts and went into total meltdown mode after that despite a creditable performance versus The Rangers in the final game

The acid test will be if he gets offered the Celtic gig which many on here including myself very much doubt

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Some very good points there GBY

Difficult to argue with any of it on paper anyway

In my honest opinion he never recovered from selecting the wrong team and tactics against Hearts and went into total meltdown mode after that despite a creditable performance versus The Rangers in the final game

The acid test will be if he gets offered the Celtic gig which many on here including myself very much doubt
    I can’t get my head round why one result starts to destabilise Lennon in such a material way ...

Does that stack up with our European run and very good start in the first quarter of the league ? Doesn’t to me ..

For me it is much more complex than that ..and can’t see the conclusion about the Hearts game stacking up to scrutiny ..

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I can’t get my head round why one result starts to destabilise Lennon in such a material way ...

Does that stack up with our European run and very good start in the first quarter of the league ? Doesn’t to me ..

For me it is much more complex than that ..and can’t see the conclusion about the Hearts game stacking up to scrutiny ..
    Agree to a certain extent but seemed to overcook things in his own head when he came up against Potter at Tiny and could never get the better of him there mind games included

Perhaps he felt second place was the best he could ever hope to achieve at HIBS and he just fell short

His work here was done

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure the Tiny thing is real - he clearly felt we couldn’t play our game against them - but lots of managers make that call in such a narrow pitch.

For me the interesting thing about that time was how disappointed and angry he was at not taking the chance to be second. Can’t recall since Turnbull days we had a manager who set that level of goals ...

Fair to say it has been best for both parties to move on

I think he is a decent outside bet for The Scotland Jin btw

Not sure the Tiny thing is real - he clearly felt we couldn’t play our game against them - but lots of managers make that call in such a narrow pitch.

For me the interesting thing about that time was how disappointed and angry he was at not taking the chance to be second. Can’t recall since Turnbull days we had a manager who set that level of goals ...

Yip!

Remember the anger and rightly so!

As soon as I saw the team.....

This isn't trying to after you personally, but the 'very good start in the first quarter of the league' thing is a complete myth that needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all.

After the first four games, against Motherwell, St Johnstone, a slow-starting Aberdeen and Livingston, we picked up a pathetic five points.

Our fixtures were then extremely generous after Maclaren dived to win a penalty against Kilmarnock, which we edged out 3-2.

We then had Dundee away, St Mirren away and Accies at home. All three of these teams have been abysmal, and anything less than nine points would've been a disgrace.

After that Accies game, we had played eight games - not a quarter of the league, but we'll disregard that. We had 17 points, so just over two points a game. Which is usually a barometer of good league form.

But when you consider how outrageously fortunate we'd been with the fixture list (not playing any of Celtic, Hearts or Rangers until late October), we had an amazing chance to launch a serious bid for the title that could've at least lasted until January before Celtic bucked their ideas up.

They had an awful start to the season by their standards, winning three, losing two and drawing one of their opening six league games, as well as troubles in Europe.

Hibs, quite honestly, should've been looking to get at least 20 points from the opening 24 that were on offer, and 24 wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Losing at a Livingston who only just had a new manager in the door after the Kenny Miller turmoil, drawing at home to a gutless Aberdeen side and Lennon again proving himself incapable of winning a game in Perth cost us that.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Hopefully he will bring his mate Colin Calderclown with him!
    Not with him now

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Agree to a certain extent but seemed to overcook things in his own head when he came up against Potter at Tiny and could never get the better of him there mind games included

Perhaps he felt second place was the best he could ever hope to achieve at HIBS and he just fell short

His work here was done
    There were a few things that came out after the Tynecastle game, such as McGeouch going (he mentioned this in his after-match interview).

I think he knew the team was going to be broken up in a way that was going to be almost impossible to rebuild without a decent bit of time and some finance the like of which we've never seen before at Hibs.

We'd blown the type of chance we weren't going to get again in a hurry.

As for those who claim he didn't care about our club - the man was devastated at that point. Whether it was for purely selfish career reasons or otherwise, he wanted to be a big success at Hibs (and in my opinion he certainly was) and at that moment he knew he'd missed out a massive level of success by only a whisker.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

I thought he bottled it at Tiny by trying to put out a team that (ironically) wouldn't bottle it.

Heckingbottom won there by doing what we are good at, Lennon tried to go there and do what Hearts are good at.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

(Allegedly) Lennon was told before Sunday he wasn't getting the job

(Disclaimer - apols if already posted above. Too lazy to check)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This isn't trying to after you personally, but the 'very good start in the first quarter of the league' thing is a complete myth that needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all.

After the first four games, against Motherwell, St Johnstone, a slow-starting Aberdeen and Livingston, we picked up a pathetic five points.

Our fixtures were then extremely generous after Maclaren dived to win a penalty against Kilmarnock, which we edged out 3-2.

We then had Dundee away, St Mirren away and Accies at home. All three of these teams have been abysmal, and anything less than nine points would've been a disgrace.

After that Accies game, we had played eight games - not a quarter of the league, but we'll disregard that. We had 17 points, so just over two points a game. Which is usually a barometer of good league form.

But when you consider how outrageously fortunate we'd been with the fixture list (not playing any of Celtic, Hearts or Rangers until late October), we had an amazing chance to launch a serious bid for the title that could've at least lasted until January before Celtic bucked their ideas up.

They had an awful start to the season by their standards, winning three, losing two and drawing one of their opening six league games, as well as troubles in Europe.

Hibs, quite honestly, should've been looking to get at least 20 points from the opening 24 that were on offer, and 24 wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Losing at a Livingston who only just had a new manager in the door after the Kenny Miller turmoil, drawing at home to a gutless Aberdeen side and Lennon again proving himself incapable of winning a game in Perth cost us that.
    I think you're being harsh there. How many times down the years have we looked at a run of fixtures and proclaimed we SHOULD be taking 'x' number of points from them, only to fall short? The only genuinely BAD result from those opening eight fixtures was the loss at Livi, although it should be remembered they ended Hearts' winning streak a couple of weeks later as well as beating Rangers. When we steamrollered Accies 6-0 to put ourselves just a point or two off the top of the table the consensus among most pundits was that we looked a better bet than Hearts for tilt at the title. Bear in mind we were also playing in Europe every week at that stage so maintaining top form in every game was a big ask.

In my view the loss of some really top players and the failure to adequately replace them started to catch up with us, coupled with a shift in Lennon's approach to the job. What lay behind the latter factor we'll probably never fully know, but my point is that Lennon seems to cop a great deal more flak than other far less successful Hibs managers for what was, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively short period of decline. In hindsight he left at the right time, but overall his contribution to Hibs was a very positive one.

When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
    Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
    Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic
    I’m more than happy with the new management team coming in and taking us on a run of 2 defeats in 12 games, tbh. Not really bothered how he does it I just want us picking up results.

Left by mutual consent!
    Heckingbottom's unbeaten against Hearts, including a first win at Tynecastle in six years, and we drew both the home league games against the OF under his charge. A tame loss to Celtic in the cup the week after he'd come in and a poor showing at Ibrox last week were disappointing, but it's hardly a terrible record.

I agree Lennon was great for us against the Old Firm and initially against Hearts too where we really battered them on three occasions at ER (the 3-1, 1-0 and 2-0 scorelines didn't reflect our dominance). At Tynie I thought he started off OK too by having us 'man up' to their physical tactics but I felt he stuck too rigidly to that tactic towards the end.

Our performances under Lennon at tynecastle were *****. We rarely took the game to them.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Disliked Lennon as a player, disliked him more when he was a Celtic player then manager. Tolerated him when he came to us. Back to disliking him now hes Celtic manager again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Like that time we drew with the champions recently and beat hearts at Tynie - something Lennon never managed to in many games.

Did we not lose five goals to some team of Butchers Bakers and Candlestick Makers from Iceland or the Faroes in the Europa League and some dafties on here wanted to sign half their players followed by a two month run between the two Hamilton games between October and December where we did not win a game?