hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Killie 11 05 19)

Coming back from the game today I listened in to Hecky’s post-match interview and thought he pretty much nailed our performance when he labelled it as ‘rubbish.’ There was plenty of endeavour but not a lot of hunger as Killie dominated for large portions of the game. They, of course, very much had something to play for whilst all we knew was that we were odds on to finish fifth and ahead of Hearts in the process. Whether subconsciously the players had decided the holidays were coming I do not know but it was a real pity that they let down what was a fantastic travelling support.

There’s a couple of things I want to get off my chest before offering my thoughts on the actual game but it is important for me to say that I do not think either of these matters constitute any sort of excuse for the loss. We were rubbish and we got what we deserved. Firstly, that playing surface is a disgrace and I remain firmly of the belief that it should be a necessity for any club in the top division to have a grass surface. The surface definitely offers the home side an advantage as they play on it regularly but let’s be honest, it’s just not good enough and most definitely has an effect on how the ball rolls and bounces. My second gripe concerns the penalty award. I confess I was ball watching and so didn’t see the ‘foul’ but have since seen it on twitter and listened to the guys on Sportsound calling it for what it was – a dreadful decision by an incompetent official. It wasn’t the ref’s only blunder either, in my view. Numerous fouls by both sides were ignored whilst ten a penny challenges allowed Mr. Dallas to blow his whistle and put himself on centre stage.

Having gotten that off my chest I’ll turn to the game itself. Fraser Murray was drafted in and Kamberi was recalled from the bench with Horgan and Gauld making way. As I anticipated, Killie came out of the traps and had the better of the opening exchanges with Bruce forcing Rocky into a save that needed collected after the keeper failed to hold the initial effort. They were getting some mileage down their right with Omeonga drifting infield and leaving gaps as a result but Hibs settled a bit and clever play saw Kamberi with a chance to get a shot away but he was closed down.

The sun was causing Hibs defenders a bit of bother when trying to read the flight of high balls and Hanlon was lucky when he ducked under the ball and Burke just failed to make contact. Hibs were offering little and after Brophy shot high and wide, Rocky seemed to misread the flight of a cross and was lucky when the ball hit the bar and was cleared. When referee Dallas awarded a corner when it was clearly a goal kick, Rocky reacted brilliantly to push away a near post header from Power but it was only a warning of what was to come soon after.

A corner was swung in and as I and probably every other of the 1,510 Hibs fans watched the ball, referee Dallas pointed to the spot after deciding SDG had pulled down Alex Bruce. Gray was incensed and was booked for his protests and given that I’ve now seen the ‘incident’ I’m not surprised our captain went bananas. Brophy took the kick and went straight down the middle with Rocky diving to his right. Brophy had another chance but dragged his shot wide and Hibs held out until half time without conceding again.

I was hoping that Hecky’s half time talk included reference to the number of times we just gave possession away with poor passes and aimless long balls but if it did, they weren’t listening as error after error simply encouraged Killie forward all the more. With about 25 minutes left, Hecky had three subs stripped and ready and in all honesty about eight of our players could easily have been hooked. As it was, both strikers and Omeonga departed with Horgan, Shaw and Agyepong coming on. There was no obvious positivity from the changes although Agyepong looked the liveliest of the three.

As the clock ran down, Killie dropped deeper and deeper but instead of getting the ball into their area quicker, Hibs persisted with endless passes across the back four and as a consequence, played right into their hands. My pulse rate increased slightly when Shaw looked to have a chance of capitalising on indecision between a Killie defender and his keeper but the latter eventually gathered successfully. Agyepong then had what I’d say was our best effort and given that the clock showed we’d played 88 minutes that’s a pretty sad fact to report. The wee man cut in from the left, drifted past a couple of challenges and fired a shot at goal that Bachmann tipped over the bar with some ease.

The players

Rocky – His distribution, especially in the first half, was woeful at times but he redeemed himself with a couple of very good saves.

SDG – Not one of his better games in my opinion. He was rarely involved in an attacking sense and only really seemed to come to life in the last fifteen minutes.

Daz – Another who failed to shine he was fortunate on occasion that Brophy didn’t make better use of the ball when it got in behind the Hibs man.

Paul – I’m struggling to find anything positive or negative about Hanlon as he just seemed to drift through the game.

Lewis – Struggled in the first half I thought, partly because Omeonga failed to provide cover but in truth this was not one of his better days.

Fraser – I was delighted to learn that he was being given a start and although he didn’t do anything particularly outstanding I felt he was the only midfielder who was prepared to put his foot on the ball and try to play the game the way it should be. Singled out for praise by Hecky I thought he was worthy of it and he gets my man of the match award.

Stevie – He was largely anonymous in my opinion. Drifted out of the game for long periods and didn’t contribute much at all.

Millsy – Infuriates me by taking so long to do pretty much everything. In this second last game of the season he decided to reveal that he has the ability to deliver a humungous long throw. Where have you been hiding that, Mark?

Stephane – Posted missing far too often and struggled more than most with the playing surface. I’d have hooked him earlier if truth be told.

Flo – I said to my mate I’d love to offer an opinion on Flo’s second touch but sadly I didn’t see one today. I’ve no idea what’s gone wrong with him but the drop in form is alarming.

Sparky – Lots of runs but not picked out most of the time. In truth he looked very ordinary today and it doesn’t help that the goals have dried up, big time.

Daryl – I looked for him to provide a much needed spark. I’m still looking.

Oli – Provided those who don’t think he’ll make it at Hibs with an amount of ammunition.

Wee Tam – When he got involved you felt he had made a positive difference but unfortunately his team mates didn’t provide enough opportunities.

Hecky – Spot on with his ‘rubbish’ comments but I felt he was partly to blame by not making the changes at half time.

The fans – Hermit Crab of this parish predicted 600 pre-match, changed it to 800 at about quarter to three so I guess he was more than half right, given that 1,510 Hibbies were in attendance.

Dallas – Pathetic, simply pathetic and it is painfully obvious that he’s been given ‘inside help’ to rise to the heights he’s achieved because it cannot be based on ability to do the job.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

In a weird way, with nothing to play for this season I’m glad we were so poor today.

Because now Heckingbotom is under no illusions to what he has at his disposal.

Now more than ever he will see exactly what the players are made of and what we are missing in the squad.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a weird way, with nothing to play for this season I’m glad we were so poor today.

Because now Heckingbotom is under no illusions to what he has at his disposal.

Now more than ever he will see exactly what the players are made of and what we are missing in the squad.

Listening to his press conference pre match I would say Heck is fully aware of what he has and doesnt have in his squad and is planning accordingly. In his own words his focus is now on next season (and he said that before todays game).

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Great report as always JB. Agree with you on a quite few of things
    The pitch is atrocious, on a sunny and windy day, Killie don’t even water it, you could see the ball bobbling, and Hibs players in particular struggling to stay on their feet and keep possession. Shouldn’t be allowed in the top league, not fit for purpose
    Secondly changes should have been made at HT, like Ibrox, he took too long to change it
    Disagree your opinion on Oli, thought he did more in his 25 mins or so, than McNulty and Kamberi did during their time on the park. At least he showed some desire to chase down lost causes

Big Hibs support today, we’ll done to the 1,510 who made the journey today, hope you put your sun cream on pre match, only thing I enjoyed today was the sun

First Team Breakthrough
    Not speaking for the whole support but the ones around me were amongst the worst I’ve ever experienced at a game. One guy screaming for Hecky to get the ***** out and another guy shouting the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard - including calling Lewis Stevenson a lazy c***. Why these people travel to Kilmarnock and pay to shout abuse at their own team is beyond me and wish our support would be a little smaller if it means these wallopers never come back. I get we weren’t great but just support the team

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    ^^^ Boy behind me bollocked them for not hoofing it as the surface was crap and bollocked them for not ‘getting it down’ when the hoof went awol! To be fair he couldn’t make his mind up either if his pie was a mince or steak variety after he had necked it. Think he’d had a couple of swifties.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The fans – Hermit Crab of this parish predicted 600 pre-match, changed it to 800 at about quarter to three so I guess he was more than half right, given that 1,510 Hibbies were in attendance.

There was a last minute rush of fans that paid at the gate, caught me off guard hence why my prediction was so far out.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    There was a last minute rush of fans that paid at the gate, caught me off guard hence why my prediction was so far out.
    Aye, about 700 of them
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Aye, about 700 of them

Yeah, I was as surprised as you!
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Spot on JB,but got to be honest,getting totally fed up with the passing back and forth in our own half,it just gives the opposition time time to regroup and then we are stumped.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Had to do a double take Jonnyboy I thought I was reading a “ This is how it feels Killie by Hermit Crab”

You of course were at the game and I respect your opinion as being gospel

As I was not at the game I agree with all of your comments season to date on all the players apart from our back four and I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt due to the poor surface and bad refereeing

You are correct in what you say that grass playing surfaces should be a prerequisite for the Scottish Premiership

It sounds as though Paul Heckingbottom has got a massive job on his hands for next season and as Stubbsy would say he may have to pull a rabbit or two out of the hat
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-05-2019 at 11:56 PM.

The manager saying in his interview he had a feeling of this performance in training during the week. Isn’t it his job to demand a performance for the fantastic support today.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    The manager saying in his interview he had a feeling of this performance in training during the week. Isn’t it his job to demand a performance for the fantastic support today.
    Get what you’re saying but only so much he can do imo. Hard to motivate players who have nothing to play for really. Had a preseason feel to it

For whatever reason we seem to have a group of players that take very little for them to loose motivation or focus, it happened earlier in the season with Lennon and has happened during some games with Hecky and it seems like yesterday was another occasion where they switch off and don't get focussed and give their all ....regardless of whatever is put up as reasons, they get well paid for to ply their trade to the best of their abilities every game, not when they feel like they have something to play for or feel like it. I seriously don't get what seems like a general acceptance that they do this ....suppose it's some of the attitude or lack of desire that appears to have got Lennon would up and Hecky yesterday ....good part is that Hecky has some opportunity to do something with it over the summer and hopefully bring in the right type of player and tackle a few attitudes.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Get what you’re saying but only so much he can do imo. Hard to motivate players who have nothing to play for really. Had a preseason feel to it
    Especially when the players are essentially not his own.

Can't disagree with your summary JB. I hope Fraser Murray starts next week as he deserves a chance to show what he can do on a proper pitch. Like you, I think top flight teams should have grass but if artificial turf is to be tolerated it must be to a very high standard; Rugby Park's surface is unacceptable.

On a day when barely anyone played well it is probably harsh to single a player out, but I think Mallan's performance is worthy of comment as it sums up what an infuriating enigma he is - has obvious technical ability, as evidenced by some brilliant goals this season, but too often in open play he looks like he's going through the motions. He doesn't influence the game, and I thought he was hiding today - on numerous occasions he seemed to take up positions which made it impossible for the man in possession to get the ball to him.

Despite today's generally crap display from the team though, it was a ridiculous refereeing decision which has cost us a point. I was following the flight of the ball too but you could tell from SDG's reaction how scunnered he was, and having seen it since there's no danger it's a pen.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think the surface actually played a huge part in the performance. I lost count if how many times passes were over/under hit. The players all look like they are sliding about like on a frozen surface. Studs getting caught in it. Blah blah blah. There was plenty effort but little to no quality.
    Kamberi is average at best. Not a fan.