hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had loads of stuff through the door (Cambridge) but the Brexit party one was addressed to me not just delivered by party activists. If they are doing that for everyone registered to vote it will be costing a fortune.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Voted, but that was a grudged "X" this morning.

As an anti-Brexit, anti-Indy voter who vowed never to vote Lib Dem again after they ****ed over generations of students and supported the bedroom tax, placing an X was a near-impossible task.

Greens for me today. Latest polling suggest there is a chance of them taking a seat in Scotland as well.

The next 2 points may be somewhat contradictory but....... I wanted to show support for both remain and independence. However I also believe that half a decade of constitutional obsession in both Scotland and the UK as a whole has seen 2 issues dominate the political landscape at the expense of other pressing matters. Of those other matters the potential impact of climate change on both our lives and that of our children means it needs dealt with now. A strong Green support in Scotland, and the UK, keeps the discussion going where it matters.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greens for me today. Latest polling suggest there is a chance of them taking a seat in Scotland as well.

The next 2 points may be somewhat contradictory but....... I wanted to show support for both remain and independence. However I also believe that half a decade of constitutional obsession in both Scotland and the UK as a whole has seen 2 issues dominate the political landscape at the expense of other pressing matters. Of those other matters the potential impact of climate change on both our lives and that of our children means it needs dealt with now. A strong Green support in Scotland, and the UK, keeps the discussion going where it matters.
    Good post, if I was here I'd be voting SNP at every election until we had an independent Scotland and Greens thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Voted, but that was a grudged "X" this morning.

As an anti-Brexit, anti-Indy voter who vowed never to vote Lib Dem again after they ****ed over generations of students and supported the bedroom tax, placing an X was a near-impossible task.
    You could've *been* Scotland's CUK voter! Found their niche at last.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    You could've *been* Scotland's CUK voter! Found their niche at last.
    Couldn't bring myself to do that either - like Pretty Boy, I went Green (I'm aware they support the SNP in their Independence march, but given my area of expertise, I support a lot of their "green" policies).

Couldn't bring myself to do that either - like Pretty Boy, I went Green (I'm aware they support the SNP in their Independence march, but given my area of expertise, I support a lot of their "green" policies).
    Genuinely interested - how do you reconcile that with regular journeys to SFO? Green is the closest party to me policy-wise but I love travel and find it hard to reconcile my own hypocrisy enough to vote for them.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Genuinely interested - how do you reconcile that with regular journeys to SFO? Green is the closest party to me policy-wise but I love travel and find it hard to reconcile my own hypocrisy enough to vote for them.
    An interesting question!

I offset a lot of travel here in the UK (attending seminars, committee meetings etc remotely, rather than attending in person), which helps a little. Rather than travelling over to California two or three times a year (which was how I started), I insisted last year that I start splitting my time thus that I can do one prolonged period out there. It's still not ideal, but the work I do with Stanford has real impacts in environmental areas for millions of people and I feel the trade-off of being there to be worth it.

Having a toddler has significantly reduced my "pleasure" travel, and I've switched to greener forms of personal travel.

An interesting question!

I offset a lot of travel here in the UK (attending seminars, committee meetings etc remotely, rather than attending in person), which helps a little. Rather than travelling over to California two or three times a year (which was how I started), I insisted last year that I start splitting my time thus that I can do one prolonged period out there. It's still not ideal, but the work I do with Stanford has real impacts in environmental areas for millions of people and I feel the trade-off of being there to be worth it.

Having a toddler has significantly reduced my "pleasure" travel, and I've switched to greener forms of personal travel.
    Interesting, thanks. Direct environmental benefits coming from the work you do when you're over there makes a big difference to the equation.

The tech for remote meetings has come on a lot. We have a telepresence system in the office here with direct connections to our locations in Reading and a couple of places in the Bay area. It's brilliant. By contrast our regular web/phone hosted meeting system I use if I'm at home is pretty dire. The thing you don't get with remote interactions is the personal, post-work social stuff that really helps if you're working long term with someone. But a small price to pay I guess.

Personal travel-wise I'm forever pricing up train journeys but by the time you try and co-ordinate via London or ferries or whatever it ends up just taking too long and/or being way too expensive. easyjet is like crack for travel