hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,901

    European Parliamentary Elections May 23rd 2019

    Have seen big billboards all over town for the upcoming Elections on May 23rd

    I've never voted in the European Elections before, and haven't had anything through the post or seen any materials around the city.

    Does anyone have any links as to where I can find out info around the candidates, their manifesto's etc?

    Ta in advance!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have seen big billboards all over town for the upcoming Elections on May 23rd

    I've never voted in the European Elections before, and haven't had anything through the post or seen any materials around the city.

    Does anyone have any links as to where I can find out info around the candidates, their manifesto's etc?

    Ta in advance!
    Youíll be lucky to find a proper manifesto. The brexit party who are currently in the lead in the polls are going to publish theirs after the election. The tories donít want to fight the elections so theyíre not bothering with a manifesto. Labour have published one, but they might as well havenít as it tells us nothing as they donít know what stance to take. Then you have the other remain parties who mostly canít even agree whoís in charge and whoís going to be stepping down after said election and we have the SNP who have been reported to the electoral commission for a dodgy flyer. Take your pick.

    United we stand here....

  4. #3
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have seen big billboards all over town for the upcoming Elections on May 23rd

    I've never voted in the European Elections before, and haven't had anything through the post or seen any materials around the city.

    Does anyone have any links as to where I can find out info around the candidates, their manifesto's etc?

    Ta in advance!

    Don't waste your time. We are leaving anyway, so why bother?

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Silent Boatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have seen big billboards all over town for the upcoming Elections on May 23rd

    I've never voted in the European Elections before, and haven't had anything through the post or seen any materials around the city.

    Does anyone have any links as to where I can find out info around the candidates, their manifesto's etc?

    Ta in advance!
    My postal ballot paper arrived on Thursday.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,957
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't waste your time. We are leaving anyway, so why bother?
    That's where I am.

    What point could possibly be made with a vote here?

    The only point I could see in it would be that my vote will most certainly NOT be for the Brexit party, and if I don't vote then it will make their vote proportionally higher, and I don't want anyone to read much into a high vote for them.

  7. #6
    I'll be voting Green or SNP for no other reason than to register a vote for someone other than one of the leave trio of Tory, Brexit and Labour.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    21,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be voting Green or SNP for no other reason than to register a vote for someone other than one of the leave trio of Tory, Brexit and Labour.
    Thatís where Iím at.

    Not really any interest in this election but always vote for SNP, donít agree with all their policies so wondering if this could be good opportunity to put a vote the Greens way, theyíre the only two credible parties in Scotland just now IMO.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,463
    One of the remain parties, not sure who yet though

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be voting Green or SNP for no other reason than to register a vote for someone other than one of the leave trio of Tory, Brexit and Labour.
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís where Iím at.

    Not really any interest in this election but always vote for SNP, donít agree with all their policies so wondering if this could be good opportunity to put a vote the Greens way, theyíre the only two credible parties in Scotland just now IMO.
    On this occasion I think it would be better to side with the SNP if you believe in independence. A referendum is likely to be called before we have another election and a reduction in the SNP vote would be used by the unionist parties as a sign that independence isnít what people want. Obviously I know the Greens are pro independence, but a split in the vote could allow a unionist remain party in.
    This is the only occasion I would advise against voting for the greens.

    United we stand here....

  11. #10
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    29,787
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On this occasion I think it would be better to side with the SNP if you believe in independence. A referendum is likely to be called before we have another election and a reduction in the SNP vote would be used by the unionist parties as a sign that independence isnít what people want. Obviously I know the Greens are pro independence, but a split in the vote could allow a unionist remain party in.
    This is the only occasion I would advise against voting for the greens.
    The Greens are solidly pro Indy, clearly remain and in with a chance of getting an MEP elected this time. Theyíll probably get my vote this time.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,552
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On this occasion I think it would be better to side with the SNP if you believe in independence. A referendum is likely to be called before we have another election and a reduction in the SNP vote would be used by the unionist parties as a sign that independence isnít what people want. Obviously I know the Greens are pro independence, but a split in the vote could allow a unionist remain party in.
    This is the only occasion I would advise against voting for the greens.
    Be aware of how the EU election works, top party gets a seat, then their vote is halved for the next stage, next highest vote gets a seat, and their vote is halved. and so on until all six seats are allocated

    predictions I have seen are SNP 3 seats, Green 1 seat and the other 2 are between Brexit and Tory
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  13. #12
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    10,881
    We don't vote until the 26th. I'm seriously considering voting for the German Tories for the first and probably last time in my life. Mainly because I'd like to make a statement of support for Merkel's actions during the refugee crisis and as a counterbalance against the AfD. I'd normally vote Green over here and will do in the next general election.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Greens are solidly pro Indy, clearly remain and in with a chance of getting an MEP elected this time. Theyíll probably get my vote this time.
    Yes Iím well aware of that, but this election is largely irrelevant as those elected will either never take up their seat or only take up their seat for a short period. Therefore this vote is only really valid for sending a message to Westminster. I wouldnít normally advise against voting for the greens, but in this instance I feel itís vital not to split the independence vote. My worry is that a split in the vote might allow a brexit party candidate in. We donít want another situation where Scotland returns an idiot to Europe like David Cockburn.

    United we stand here....

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be aware of how the EU election works, top party gets a seat, then their vote is halved for the next stage, next highest vote gets a seat, and their vote is halved. and so on until all six seats are allocated

    predictions I have seen are SNP 3 seats, Green 1 seat and the other 2 are between Brexit and Tory
    I completely understand you and I respect what you stand for, but in this election more than any other I feel that itís vital that we all speak with one voice. I believe itís possible for the SNP to win all 6 seats. Normally Iíd say thatís bad for democracy, but in this occasion itís the forerunner to independence. Europe will get the message and if weíre denied a section 30 but we hold a referendum anyway, The EU are far more likely to recognise our result if it goes our way. We need to keep our eyes on the prize.

    United we stand here....

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely understand you and I respect what you stand for, but in this election more than any other I feel that itís vital that we all speak with one voice. I believe itís possible for the SNP to win all 6 seats. Normally Iíd say thatís bad for democracy, but in this occasion itís the forerunner to independence. Europe will get the message and if weíre denied a section 30 but we hold a referendum anyway, The EU are far more likely to recognise our result if it goes our way. We need to keep our eyes on the prize.
    Remember that the majority of Scots voted not to leave the union. The sovereign will of the Scottish people and all that. The people spoke, itís just a shame that the malcontents who wanted independence struggle to accept the democratic expression of the Scottish electorate. Using European results as a proxy wedge is lame. We said Ďnoí by a convincing majority.

    As far as this thread goes, Iím on holiday, been in Denmark the last couple of days and Copenhagen is absolutely littered with posters for the election. In Prague now but in Denmark it really felt like a big deal. Itís curious because they have a somewhat ambivalent relationship with the EU and were, along with the UK, the only nation to secure a legal opt-out from the Euro. Nevertheless the European elections seemed to count for a lot there. Not sure what the status is in the Czech Republic but not seen any political advertising. The telling point for me is that MEPs are seen and treated differently across the nations and on the continent they probably have more affirmation and respect than they do in the U.K.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember that the majority of Scots voted not to leave the union. The sovereign will of the Scottish people and all that. The people spoke, itís just a shame that the malcontents who wanted independence struggle to accept the democratic expression of the Scottish electorate. Using European results as a proxy wedge is lame. We said Ďnoí by a convincing majority.

    As far as this thread goes, Iím on holiday, been in Denmark the last couple of days and Copenhagen is absolutely littered with posters for the election. In Prague now but in Denmark it really felt like a big deal. Itís curious because they have a somewhat ambivalent relationship with the EU and were, along with the UK, the only nation to secure a legal opt-out from the Euro. Nevertheless the European elections seemed to count for a lot there. Not sure what the status is in the Czech Republic but not seen any political advertising. The telling point for me is that MEPs are seen and treated differently across the nations and on the continent they probably have more affirmation and respect than they do in the U.K.
    Iím not disagreeing with the general point you make. Iím sure you realised that my last post wasnít aimed at you.
    Where I struggle on forums like this is when clearly educated people like yourself make comments like Ďthe people spokeí I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are more than aware that the circumstances have changed enough to at the very least respect the fact that people like me will want to ask the question again. Peace

    United we stand here....

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not disagreeing with the general point you make. I’m sure you realised that my last post wasn’t aimed at you.
    Where I struggle on forums like this is when clearly educated people like yourself make comments like ‘the people spoke’ I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are more than aware that the circumstances have changed enough to at the very least respect the fact that people like me will want to ask the question again. Peace
    Good and reasoned post, cheers LB. It’s difficult because everything with the Indy Ref and with Brexit feels so polarised.

    I think you make a good point in that both sides can and do make claim to ‘the people’ and their voice.

    I suppose my concern is that do we keep having votes until the sizeable rump who want independence get their own way by pissing off those who don’t into not voting? Did we not get told this was once in a generation?

    As for the circumstances changing, yes, you are absolutely right. At the time of the Indy Ref there was an economic case made by the separatists based on oil prices that turned out to be absolute bollocks. Notwithstanding the UN Declaration that we needed to move away from fossil fuels by 2020 to ensure the survival of the planet. Oil-rich Scotland, yay! Killing the planet, not so yay! It wasn’t you but I recall some Nat posters on here saying in an attempt at irony that Scotland must be cursed to have oil as a resource. Maybe, just maybe they might understand it now - oil and oil extraction and oil usage kills the planet and it is no blessing to have oil as a resource. It is morally indefensible.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 19-05-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good and reasoned post, cheers LB. It’s difficult because everything with the Indy Ref and with Brexit feels so polarised.

    I think you make a good point in that both sides can and do make claim to ‘the people’ and their voice.

    I suppose my concern is that do we keep having votes until the sizeable rump who want independence get their own way by pissing off those who don’t into not voting? Did we not get told this was once in a generation?

    As for the circumstances changing, yes, you are absolutely right. At the time of the Indy Ref there was an economic case made by the separatists based on oil prices that turned out to be absolute bollocks. Notwithstanding the UN Declaration that we needed to move away from fossil fuels by 2020 to ensure the survival of the planet. Oil-rich Scotland, yay! Killing the planet, not so yay! It wasn’t you but I recall some Nat posters on here saying in an attempt at irony that Scotland must be cursed to have oil as a resource. Maybe, just maybe they might understand it now - oil and oil extraction and oil usage kills the planet and it is no blessing to have oil as a resource. It is morally indefensible.
    I agree with most of what you say. Scotland’s problem is that we have oil, but we haven’t been able to take advantage of having oil. Most of the major oil producing nations have been able to use the proceeds of oil production to diverse into other industries. If you go to Dubai the major income is not from oil anymore. They have used the money they made from oil attract big business and that has attracted wealth to the region. In Scotland we are in a position to join these countries in innovation and use our natural resources to our advantage.



    edit are you going on Tuesday to the grange?
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 19-05-2019 at 11:54 PM.

    United we stand here....

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with most of what you say. Scotland’s problem is that we have oil, but we haven’t been able to take advantage of having oil. Most of the major oil producing nations have been able to use the proceeds of oil production to diverse into other industries. If you go to Dubai the major income is not from oil anymore. They have used the money they made from oil attract big business and that has attracted wealth to the region. In Scotland we are in a position to join these countries in innovation and use our natural resources to our advantage.



    edit are you going on Tuesday to the grange?
    I’m not in the country, in Prague on Tuesday!

    Going to a couple of the CWC games in Durham and a couple of days at the Ashes. Are you at any of those?

    I wholeheartedly agree with your point about realising the gains. I think the U.K. went for short-term gains from the oil money, essentially selling off the rights to the oil fields along with future profits. It paid for the massive unemployment bills in the early to mid eighties. There is a deeper, and hopefully non-partisan conversation about how the U.K. fixed itself from the position it was in, in the late seventies. It maybe didn’t need Thatx
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím not in the country, in Prague on Tuesday!

    Going to a couple of the CWC games in Durham and a couple of days at the Ashes. Are you at any of those?

    I wholeheartedly agree with your point about realising the gains. I think the U.K. went for short-term gains from the oil money, essentially selling off the rights to the oil fields along with future profits. It paid for the massive unemployment bills in the early to mid eighties. There is a deeper, and hopefully non-partisan conversation about how the U.K. fixed itself from the position it was in, in the late seventies. It maybe didnít need Thatx
    Connection playing up...

    It maybe didnít need Thatcherism or neo-liberalism but left-centrist politics was outflanked by monetarist ideology and more classically socialist ďcommand and control ď economics was stereotyped as not just weak but dangerously flawed
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  22. #21
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ithin-20-years

    Majority of Europeans expect the EU to end within next 20 years.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ithin-20-years

    Majority of Europeans expect the EU to end within next 20 years.
    Makes it all the better that the Tories are dragging us out with a no deal Brexit in that context 😒
    Last edited by The Modfather; 20-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím not in the country, in Prague on Tuesday!

    Going to a couple of the CWC games in Durham and a couple of days at the Ashes. Are you at any of those?

    I wholeheartedly agree with your point about realising the gains. I think the U.K. went for short-term gains from the oil money, essentially selling off the rights to the oil fields along with future profits. It paid for the massive unemployment bills in the early to mid eighties. There is a deeper, and hopefully non-partisan conversation about how the U.K. fixed itself from the position it was in, in the late seventies. It maybe didnít need Thatx
    Sadly Iím not going to make it to any games in the World Cup or the ashes this year.

    United we stand here....

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sadly Iím not going to make it to any games in the World Cup or the ashes this year.
    Ach well, if we are both around for the Grange next summer I will maybe catch you then.

    Hopefully you will get to see or listen to the cricket this summer regardless. Iím going to a couple of CWC ODIs, will see SAF and the Windies so hopefully get a bit of positive cricket.

    Re the Ashes, got four days at Old Trafford and a dayís hospitality at Edgebaston, looking forward to it and will try and post updates inbetween the beers

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good and reasoned post, cheers LB. Itís difficult because everything with the Indy Ref and with Brexit feels so polarised.

    I think you make a good point in that both sides can and do make claim to Ďthe peopleí and their voice.

    I suppose my concern is that do we keep having votes until the sizeable rump who want independence get their own way by pissing off those who donít into not voting? Did we not get told this was once in a generation?

    As for the circumstances changing, yes, you are absolutely right. At the time of the Indy Ref there was an economic case made by the separatists based on oil prices that turned out to be absolute bollocks. Notwithstanding the UN Declaration that we needed to move away from fossil fuels by 2020 to ensure the survival of the planet. Oil-rich Scotland, yay! Killing the planet, not so yay! It wasnít you but I recall some Nat posters on here saying in an attempt at irony that Scotland must be cursed to have oil as a resource. Maybe, just maybe they might understand it now - oil and oil extraction and oil usage kills the planet and it is no blessing to have oil as a resource. It is morally indefensible.
    If you want to keep any oil "in the ground" under the north sea then independence is your only, albeit somewhat faint, hope.

    Stay in the UK and every last drop is coming up, you can bet your last petrodollar on that.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's where I am.

    What point could possibly be made with a vote here?

    The only point I could see in it would be that my vote will most certainly NOT be for the Brexit party, and if I don't vote then it will make their vote proportionally higher, and I don't want anyone to read much into a high vote for them.
    Your lack of vote will also be counted.

    The main thing that's going to be measured in this election is public sentiment towards no deal, measured in votes for Farage, and public sentiment towards stopping Brexit, measured in votes for Lib+Green+SNP. The relative totals between these camps will be the narrative on Friday and will set the political weather for the summer.

    If you want to push the Tories towards No deal - vote Fascist (or don't vote because there is surely a motivated band of zealots going to vote for him).

    If you want to push Labour towards 2nd ref/Remain - vote for a Remain party.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,552
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your lack of vote will also be counted.

    The main thing that's going to be measured in this election is public sentiment towards no deal, measured in votes for Farage, and public sentiment towards stopping Brexit, measured in votes for Lib+Green+SNP. The relative totals between these camps will be the narrative on Friday and will set the political weather for the summer.

    If you want to push the Tories towards No deal - vote Fascist (or don't vote because there is surely a motivated band of zealots going to vote for him).

    If you want to push Labour towards 2nd ref/Remain - vote for a Remain party.
    The result of the election won't be known until after 10pm on Sunday.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The result of the election won't be known until after 10pm on Sunday.
    I didn't get where I am today by knowing wtf I'm talking about!

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,056
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't get where I am today by knowing wtf I'm talking about!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  31. #30
    To all (but especially Remainers )- please do get out and vote tomorrow.

    Farage's brexo-fascists on course to win 1 and possibly 2 of Scotland's 6 seats.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved