hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibs in Europe

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Hibs in Europe

Never made it to a Hibs European away game, would love to go, nearly got to Brondby but simply couldnt justify the cost at the time.

In the very modern era of post Scottish Cup Champions for those who travelled what was the best European away day (or two) Brondby, Runavik, Asteras or Molde?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    I went to both Brondby & Asteras

Both fantastic trips and for me worth every penny even with inflated costs. If affordable at the next opportunity - do it!

Brondby was the best for me. It was my first . A beautiful city and just overall a fantastic couple of days. It will be difficult to top . The only downside being the cost of a beer.

Fingers crossed for maximum points in our last 3 games for the possibility of another trip

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never made it to a Hibs European away game, would love to go, nearly got to Brondby but simply couldnt justify the cost at the time.

In the very modern era of post Scottish Cup Champions for those who travelled what was the best European away day (or two) Brondby, Runavik, Asteras or Molde?

Athens / Tripoli’s was great for me. The square in the wee town before the game was immense.

I’m in a similar position as the OP.

However, I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
    Athens / Tripoli’s was great for me. The square in the wee town before the game was immense.
    The riot cops after the match weren't to clever.

The Dnipropetrovsk trip in 2005, apart from result was brilliant

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?
    I used to live in Congleton not a million miles away from Macc, a decent night out with some good pubs!!

But no it doesnt count

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    The best trip I had was Videoton which we did by supporters bus. Have also done Anderlecht, Athens, Dnipro, Faroes, Norway as well as pre season tours of Germany

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I’m in a similar position as the OP.

However, I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?
    I went to that game too. Circa '98 from memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

I was at Brondby, Runavik and Asteras, and I'd rank them:

1) Brondby
    2) Asteras
    3) Runavik

Brondby was just incredible. A Scottish Cup afterparty, almost like a second parade out in the Copenhagen sunshine. Expensive but most just bought cans for cheap(er) bevvying. A David Gray goal that felt like it came out of nowhere sparked utter pandemonium in the away end, and is easily one of the best bounces I've ever been a part of. I'd give it 9 out of 10, if we'd won the shootout it would win full marks.

Asteras was very good, but I think the fact that there were Hibs fans in both Athens and Tripoli (and also Crete?) meant that we were all a bit separated until the afternoon of the game. A fantastic bounce for McGinn's goal, but then such a nerve-shredding second half to endure, particularly when they levelled on the night. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

Runavik was ridiculous. Eye-watering prices, beautiful scenery, an absurd game of football, fog nearly calling the whole thing off, two Stevie Mallan screamers, the CCS flag getting ran up the flagpole, it had a bit of everything. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Consider myself very lucky to have been able to go on the three, and also a little bit lucky that I swerved Molde. Looked a good trip but the result wasn't particularly fun. I'm still unbeaten in Europe, after all.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Only went to see us play Asteras, but what a trip that was. I knew it was going to me mega, but even then it exceeded my expectations. Marching through the town square in Tripolis and drinking in the sun with over a thousand Hibees...night out back in Athens wasn't bad either

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Faroes was never on my bucket list, so extra points for that.

@hibs.net private member
    The trip to Brussels to watch Hibs play Anderlecht in 1992 was a great trip though got a bit hairy after when hordes of Moroccans hoved into view and we ended up barricades in a pub overnight!!

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    I went to that game too. Circa '98 from memory?
    Yeah. That’s about right.
    Only things I remember about the game. 0-0 draw. Ollie was in goal.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Videoton was epic!

I was at Faroes, Tripoli and Molde.

Faroes the best by an absolute mile, hilarious trip where everyone there seemed to be absolutely blootered, Tripoli was a brilliant atmosphere and the game was of course incredible, Tripoli pre-match was unreal too but Athens was a bit of a dump (what we seen of it anyway) which kind of put a dampener on things but was an overall class trip. Molde was a brilliant day out on the Fan Charter But comes last for me cause it was obviously shorter and the result didn’t help.

Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    Videoton was epic!
    Goooooulash, goulash goulash goulash, goulash goulash.......

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Went to Dnipro, Maribor, Malmo and Molde. Been on a few pre season trips to Ireland and Germany.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Liverpool away in 1975. Alec Edwards scored to make it 2-0 on aggregate. Then Toshack destroyed us. Remember the Liverpool fans saying “Listen for their accents” Trouble during and after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    I was at Brondby, Runavik and Asteras, and I'd rank them:

1) Brondby
    2) Asteras
    3) Runavik

Brondby was just incredible. A Scottish Cup afterparty, almost like a second parade out in the Copenhagen sunshine. Expensive but most just bought cans for cheap(er) bevvying. A David Gray goal that felt like it came out of nowhere sparked utter pandemonium in the away end, and is easily one of the best bounces I've ever been a part of. I'd give it 9 out of 10, if we'd won the shootout it would win full marks.

Asteras was very good, but I think the fact that there were Hibs fans in both Athens and Tripoli (and also Crete?) meant that we were all a bit separated until the afternoon of the game. A fantastic bounce for McGinn's goal, but then such a nerve-shredding second half to endure, particularly when they levelled on the night. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

Runavik was ridiculous. Eye-watering prices, beautiful scenery, an absurd game of football, fog nearly calling the whole thing off, two Stevie Mallan screamers, the CCS flag getting ran up the flagpole, it had a bit of everything. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Consider myself very lucky to have been able to go on the three, and also a little bit lucky that I swerved Molde. Looked a good trip but the result wasn't particularly fun. I'm still unbeaten in Europe, after all.
    I would agree with that order. Malmo and Maribor where class as well.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara Lad View Post
    Liverpool away in 1975. Alec Edwards scored to make it 2-0 on aggregate. Then Toshack destroyed us. Remember the Liverpool fans saying “Listen for their accents” Trouble during and after the game.
    Still hate Liverpool after that experience, I was 14 and mate got hit by a brick as we were leaving the ground, nasty *******s. My uncle got lost as well, he made his own way back to the car about an hour later in a bit of a state. Them n Leeds were the worst of a very bad bunch in these days.
    So as payback - C’Mon Man City & Barca!!!

Only ever got to two Anderlecht and Malmo both were excellent

Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    Still hate Liverpool after that experience, I was 14 and mate got hit by a brick as we were leaving the ground, nasty *******s. My uncle got lost as well, he made his own way back to the car about an hour later in a bit of a state. Them n Leeds were the worst of a very bad bunch in these days.
    So as payback - C’Mon Man City & Barca!!!
    Opposite end from the Kop. Half the away end was Hibees, the other half was Liverpool. Cops waded into Hibs fans with huge sticks. Absolute mental. Hibs fans stood their ground. Never seen anything like it since.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Only ever got to two Anderlecht and Malmo both were excellent
    Your right there Wakey👍 How are you pal?

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Was at Bronby and Molde two great trips.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Sporting Lisbon 2 v 1 HIBS

Discribed by Eddie Turnbull as the greatest ever HIBS performance away from home in Europe at that time

Eddie Turnbull is in the Changing Room giving his prematch team talk just then the Changing Room door opens and a Sporting Official enters with a tray of Rolex watches Eddie Turnbull in mid spiel with his flalling arms accidentally knocks the tray up in the air Johnny Hamilton sitting patiently listening to his team talk says “ Look Boss! Time flies!”

Belgium twice for me (Anderlecht and FC Liege). Anderlwcht was a brilliant trip, amazing stadium for the time and one of the best bounces when Jackson scored. Pished for 3 days, shattered when we got back but memories live on. That's what Europe is all about.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    I've only missed 3 competitive away games in Europe (Dinaburg, Runavik & Molde) since my first trip away to Videtone and all have been fantastic trips in their own merits. Hard to pick one and if put on the spot it would have be Videotone.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Never been but had a serious look at the Molde and Runavig games.

Fancy going to the Faroe Islands at aome point. Wee bit different.

Done 3 Hibs Euro away trips - Elfsborg, Maribor, and Molde. Net scoreline from those 3 ties 0-8! All great trips though and great memories even if the results didn't quite match.

Shamrock Rovers friendly in Dublin 10 years ago was tremendous too, got the flights off Ryanair for 1p!