hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Gary Caldwell Managerial Masterclass

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48120968

He's an embarrassment to Partick Thistle. I'd not be happy if a Hibs manager ever did this. Do your job and manage your players. Weak.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Strange one that.wonder how the directors feel about that.think he might do well with them though in the end if given the chance at partick beyond what is a really bad year for them.although wouldnae want a hibs gaffer attempting that.

Doesn’t mean that they are picking the team themselves, Caldwell probably trying to think outside the box a bit

He still picks the team though. Not sure if it will help or not, but will be keeping an eye on the score.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Sounds like he’s more just wanting to know what the players think of their team mates and who they want on the pitch beside them. Wonder if everyone will include themselves in the starting 11?

Suppose the proof will be in the pudding as they say. It's maybe a little of of mind games and to try and get the players thinking who they want in the trenches with them.

Not sure if be happy if Heckingbottom done that but if it works then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He's an embarrassment to Partick Thistle. I'd not be happy if a Hibs manager ever did this. Do your job and manage your players. Weak.
    Nothing wrong with that. Its a great way to see what they think of each other etc.

@hibs.net private member
    Embarrassing spelling.

Shambles. What a weak lack of leadership. The players should be concentrating on taking instructions and playing the game not picking teams. I'm actually cringing for the Partick players.

Weird. Probably a worthwhile exercise for a team building event or company away day. Totally inappropriate for a crucial relegation decider though and it just makes him look weak. You have to wonder how the players will react to it too.

And the spelling on the message is cringeworthy. Nobody likes the grammar polis, but honestly, come on!! I can still remember being taught the difference between two, too and to as a ten year old!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Sounds like he’s more just wanting to know what the players think of their team mates and who they want on the pitch beside them. Wonder if everyone will include themselves in the starting 11?
    Exactly what I thought. Pretty clever tbh. Certainly not embarrassing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Great idea and very thoughtful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Exactly what I thought. Pretty clever tbh. Certainly not embarrassing.
    I thought the same earlier. If you try and do something a bit different in football it gets ridiculed though.

Easy to stick the boot into two unpopular ex players. They are doing something different by trying to understand the psyche of the squad. Given the predicament Partick face going into this weekend I'd suggest that the players just taking instructions from the management has failed. So why not do something provocative? The real issue is why was this made public? Massive breach of Brian Kerr's trust.

It's an interesting idea. Ultimately the manager will still pick the team and it's anonymous so there is no reason for it to cause a fall out. It might just give an insight into which players are trusted by their teammates.

There are plenty things to criticise Caldwell about as a manager but I'm not sure this is one of them.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Reminds me of the Brendan Rodgers envelope episode at Liverpool. Think that made him look like a complete tool to the players , would have thought the same would apply here. Players are paid to play , managers pick the team start playing mind games with players and u are on a road to failure.

@hibs.net private member
    Much will depend on the relationship he already has with the players. Nothing wrong with the idea and maybe he could have been brave and asked them to say who they would like in the dug out

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Weird. Probably a worthwhile exercise for a team building event or company away day. Totally inappropriate for a crucial relegation decider though and it just makes him look weak. You have to wonder how the players will react to it too.

And the spelling on the message is cringeworthy. Nobody likes the grammar polis, but honestly, come on!! I can still remember being taught the difference between two, too and to as a ten year old!!!
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Because you wouldn’t be happy ‘he’s an embarrassment’ I see nothing wrong with trying this or other different ideas. Too many dinosaurs with opinions these days quick to judge because they disagree with something

A smokescreen to take the pressure off the players

Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    Doesn’t mean that they are picking the team themselves, Caldwell probably trying to think outside the box a bit
    That’s the way I see it. I’m not a fan of Caldwell in the slightest but I think some of the comments on here are a bit unfair.

Don't see an issue with it at all. The players spend every working day with each other and will know who they can rely on and trust. Players might not want to speak up about certain things so doing it anonymously could get the message across

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Caldwell will get eleven bits of paper that say the manager is a pr!ck. Twelve if he completes one as well.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    If Caldwell keeps them up (which I think he will) then he’s done a good job and I would fancy them to kick on for promotion next season.

I quite like it when managers try something different.

It has a wee whiff of letting Jason Cummings give the team talk about it.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    What is the right way to manage a football club? If Partick get a result and Caldwell keeps his team up no Partick supporters will be complaining. I have a few friends who support Thistle so have a little soft spot for them the club that is not my red and yellow pals. Always been a slightly unconventional club through the years much like their support.

I have no problem with this, I just think it was stupid to put it on WhatsApp as it only ever takes one disgruntled player to undermine what you're trying to do.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's an interesting idea. Ultimately the manager will still pick the team and it's anonymous so there is no reason for it to cause a fall out. It might just give an insight into which players are trusted by their teammates.

There are plenty things to criticise Caldwell about as a manager but I'm not sure this is one of them.
    Agree don't see any issue in it. Gets the players thinking about the whole team rather than just themselves. A wee change of focus probably a good thing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I have no problem with this, I just think it was stupid to put it on WhatsApp as it only ever takes one disgruntled player to undermine what you're trying to do.
    Probably just trusted the players not too, pretty disappointing one couldn't just do what was asked.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Brian Kerr probably thought it would be invisible.