hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5G

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4G has it's limitations. You can't connect everything to a 4G network. It's reserved for certain devices only. 5G is a whole different ball game. The wavelength of 5G is extremely short, which means 5G transmitters will need to be built into every street.

If 5G wasn't all that different from 4G, then why would governments go to all of the cost and hastle of installing these transmitters everywhere? Yes, it's the telecommunication companies that set these transmitters up, but only on the back of huge government subsidies.

5G is not just a faster version of 4G. It will be used to collect data on a scale never witnessed before.
    Well it's not just faster, it has different power characteristics and latency and so on. But the essential difference is capacity.

It's like moving from single track roads to a motorway. Sure you can run a lot more and a lot faster vehicles on the motorway. But what the cars can do are properties of the car, not the road.

This is a rare instance where I do actually know what I'm talking about. I'm currently working on software for devices to be used as part of the US (and possibly eventually here I suppose) 5G rollout.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Well it's not just faster, it has different power characteristics and latency and so on. But the essential difference is capacity.

It's like moving from single track roads to a motorway. Sure you can run a lot more and a lot faster vehicles on the motorway. But what the cars can do are properties of the car, not the road.

This is a rare instance where I do actually know what I'm talking about. I'm currently working on software for devices to be used as part of the US (and possibly eventually here I suppose) 5G rollout.
    If that's the case. Then what's your view on these 5G transmitters that are installed in the US with cameras connected to them? They claim the cameras are to "protect the transmitters". But it doesn't change the fact that every street that is having these transmitters installed are under active surveillance with zero consent from residents.

If that's the case. Then what's your view on these 5G transmitters that are installed in the US with cameras connected to them? They claim the cameras are to "protect the transmitters". But it doesn't change the fact that every street that is having these transmitters installed are under active surveillance with zero consent from residents.
    Again, that's nothing specifically to do with 5G tech. There are a ton of 4G enabled surveillance cameras already out there. You could equally well attach them to lampposts or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Again, that's nothing specifically to do with 5G tech. There are a ton of 4G enabled surveillance cameras already out there. You could equally well attach them to lampposts or whatever.
    That's true. However, they didn't have the excuse before to do so. They now have the excuse of "protecting the transmitters" which to them, is a green light to install surveilance cameras into every street.

It's a level of security that society doesn't require and i'm sure if most people had a grasp on what was going on here, they would rebel against it. Sadly, most people aren't remotely aware of this and just see 5G as a basic upgrade to 4G which it isn't.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I was watching a tv show about what is possible with 5g. Personally I think it will be a long time before the potential is realised. Things like household appliances being smart devices doesnít really appeal to me, but maybe Iím just getting old. I saw that you will be able to order things from your fridge when you run out. I just do a weekly shop

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I was watching a tv show about what is possible with 5g. Personally I think it will be a long time before the potential is realised. Things like household appliances being smart devices doesnít really appeal to me, but maybe Iím just getting old. I saw that you will be able to order things from your fridge when you run out. I just do a weekly shop
    It's funny how you adapt and grow to like things though.

I remember when the self-serve checkouts were put in supermarkets I absolutely hated them, before adapting to quite liking them.

Now I do our "big shop" online and get it delivered.

Your habits just change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I remember when the self-serve checkouts were put in supermarkets I absolutely hated them, before adapting to quite liking them.

I still hate those self serving checkouts.

I still hate those self serving checkouts.
    Yep, the assistant will be with you shortly, except they are busy with a queue who hate the self service. Plus they put people out of jobs. I kinda get that is the point but it's not like there were no profits back when they were introduced.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Me and the Mrs are both technophiles. I love our little gadgets like Wi-Fi plug sockets that switch on our lights when we're not home or the sprinkler system that waters our garden when needed and the robot lawnmower. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Youíre probably right.

United we stand here....