hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

New build houses - thoughts

Looking at a couple of new build houses down here in Ayrshire, both built by Stewart Milne, anyone had any experience with them?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Not with Milnes but a friend of mine bought a Persimon house and they're incredibly energy efficient. All the house needs in winter is an hour of heating in the morning and at night.

Did Milne build a whole load of houses at Kintore near Inverurie?

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Stewart Milne have lots of developments primarily in Aberdeen/Shire, like any other builder it's all about maximising profit so take a good close look at the quality of the workmanship and the materials used, check every door shuts and opens properly, every window, light switch, tap etc. In my opinion modern day builders rely on the customer finding the problems (snagging) and they then put them right afterwards rather than making sure it's done correctly in the first place.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at a couple of new build houses down here in Ayrshire, both built by Stewart Milne, anyone had any experience with them?
    Some nice houses in Alloway😄

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve not bought from Stewart Milne but I live on a development with a SM section and there’s quite a lot of complaints about the after sales service you get.

Could be luck of the draw with those working on that site and also likely to get a better service if they are still building nearby after finishing your bit.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Stewart Milne have lots of developments primarily in Aberdeen/Shire, like any other builder it's all about maximising profit so take a good close look at the quality of the workmanship and the materials used, check every door shuts and opens properly, every window, light switch, tap etc. In my opinion modern day builders rely on the customer finding the problems (snagging) and they then put them right afterwards rather than making sure it's done correctly in the first place.
    On every build domestic or commercial the length of snagging lists is becoming ridiculous. It used to be called incompetence now it’s passed off as a legitimate process called snagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    On every build domestic or commercial the length of snagging lists is becoming ridiculous. It used to be called incompetence now it’s passed off as a legitimate process called snagging.
    I've always thought the buyer, or their lawyer, should be able to keep back part of the purchase price until all snagging has been done and house is as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    And the house builders now have permanent contracts with companies to do the snagging.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Don't think there is much difference between major house builders. Quality depends on how good site manager and foreman is at managing subbies.

One builder I wouldn't go near is persimmon. Consistently poor on quality and aftercare.