hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They didn’t lie down. City were quite simply better. And they’re better than Liverpool too, though the margins are a lot smaller
    They are definitely better than the Reds but it's not all over yet. Many a slip.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Man City won the league last night

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I expect there to be a massive overhaul at United next season, the way that football club has been run lately been nothing short of pathetic.

£50 million for Fred. Ashley Young is captain, I honestly don't even think he's good enough to start, he wouldn't get into the team of the big four. Lukaku has looked unfit all season and is a fringe of the player that we saw at Everton. Pogba thinks he's bigger than the club. All the hype on Lingard, I honestly think he's an above average player and that's about it. The defence in general is not good enough to compete against the biggest teams in Europe. Alexis is on about £400,000 a week. De Gea is having the poorest season of his career so far, I would partly put that down to a lack of confidence in the players in front of him and the general mentality around the club. Mourinho one of the best managers in the world over the past 20 years, got bombed out after the club not signing the players he actually wanted. The only real positive I can take out of United is Rashford.

A lot of people may disagree with me on most of that but that is how I look at Man Utd. Years ago if Manchester United wanted a player they would get him because they were arguably the biggest team in the world. But now who wants to play Europa League football and for a manager who got sacked by Cardiff and achieved one or two things with the 'Celtic' of Norway, instead of playing for the likes of Guardiola and Klopp, playing at the highest level of the game?

Look at the comparison of United and Spurs in terms of development at the moment with Spurs spending hundreds of millions less. It is unacceptable for Man Utd.
    De Gea
    Shaw
    Rashford
    Pogba when he’s not downing tools

The only players in that squad that are good enough for Man Utd imo.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    De Gea
    Shaw
    Rashford
    Pogba when he’s not downing tools

The only players in that squad that are good enough for Man Utd imo.
    ...but even those four are going to struggle to get into the City or Liverpool teams. Man Utd are weaker than their rivals in every position on the pitch. De Geas saves last season disguised that I think. They need a complete rebuild.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    A few weeks ago we were desperately hoping for an OGS-like effect from our new manager.

Now we definitely want to avoid this new version of it!
    Utd wishing they signed Paul Heckingbottom.

J

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    ...but even those four are going to struggle to get into the City or Liverpool teams. Man Utd are weaker than their rivals in every position on the pitch. De Geas saves last season disguised that I think. They need a complete rebuild.
    Probably, but then City and Liverpool are currently two of the best sides English football has ever seen

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    both manchester clubs will be dominating their league within the next two seasons

Probably, but then City and Liverpool are currently two of the best sides English football has ever seen
    I'm not arguing with you there. It's impossible to compare different eras but I'd say they have a good shout at #1 and 2 in England ever. Obvs they need to win something to have a proper claim on legendary greatness.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    both manchester clubs will be dominating their league within the next two seasons
    Unless you foresee united getting relegated next season I can’t imagine any alternate universe where united will be dominating anything in the next two years

Just out of interest, how old are you?
    Last edited by Keith_M; 25-04-2019 at 01:14 PM.

It's hard to see Man Utd improving sufficiently to get close to Liverpool and City any time soon.

They've got more than enough quality to be regularly beating most of the league but they will come up short against the top 2-4 sides.

Their only hope is for their youth system to pump out a few top players cheaply and for them to buy a world class player every year with the rest of their budget.

It doesn't really matter who their manager is but when they fail to achieve the impossible, he'll inevitably be the man who gets it in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Just out of interest, how old are you?
    I’m 28. I’m going to presume you disagree with me?

I’m not saying they’re the very best. But they’re going to both finish with the 2nd and 3rd highest points tally’s in god knows how long (or possibly ever?). They must be up there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    United a disgrace lying down just to spite Liverpool. Won't be hearing the champions league tune at the theatre of nightmares next season. Burnley a much harder game for City.
    Would United fans rather City won the league than Liverpool? Is that the hierarchy of the rivalry down there?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Would United fans rather City won the league than Liverpool? Is that the hierarchy of the rivalry down there?

100% yes.

united fans measure themselves against Liverpool and vice-versa. Been that way since the 70s and I guess it always will be. It’s all about that tally of league titles (currently 20-18 in United’s favour) and European Cups (currently 5-3 in Liverpool’s favour). As others have said the merseyside-Manchester rivalry also plays a part and predates football.

City, apart from a short period in the late 60s/early 70s have never featured on United’s radar until the last decade. I also feel United fans find it easier to discredit City’s success because of the Abu Dhabi money, whereas a first title for Liverpool in almost 3 decades would be mortifying for them.

@hibs.net private member
    100% yes.

united fans measure themselves against Liverpool and vice-versa. Been that way since the 70s and I guess it always will be. It’s all about that tally of league titles (currently 20-18 in United’s favour) and European Cups (currently 5-3 in Liverpool’s favour). As others have said the merseyside-Manchester rivalry also plays a part and predates football.

City, apart from a short period in the late 60s/early 70s have never featured on United’s radar until the last decade. I also feel United fans find it easier to discredit City’s success because of the Abu Dhabi money, whereas a first title for Liverpool in almost 3 decades would be mortifying for them.

Could do with a post or two from Scousehibby but I expect he's bitten his nails too far down to type. He'll still have every thing crossed 'cause it ain't over yet!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    United a disgrace lying down just to spite Liverpool. Won't be hearing the champions league tune at the theatre of nightmares next season. Burnley a much harder game for City.
    You really think United laid down? I think they were simply undone by a far, far superior team.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    You really think United laid down? I think they were simply undone by a far, far superior team.
    Didnt you see Lingards attempts at goal and De Gea again a liability

Nah only joking, as you say beaten by a better team though a guy in my work went to the game and he said he wanted his team (United) to lose to stop Liverpool winning the league, which all seems very odd to me.

Think there are still possible swings and the nearer the line they get both teams and fans may struggle with the nerves. Some tricky games for both Liverpool Newcastle away sandwiched between 2 games v Barca and Wolves at home plus City away to Burnley, plus Leicester at home who have players that can punish teams.

Left by mutual consent!
    100% yes.

Interesting, cheers. Amazing it's almost 30 years since Liverpool won a title. I must say they used to irritate me as a kid with their dominance in the 70s/80s and that's kind of stuck with me. I recall loving that moment when Michael Thomas snatched the title for Arsenal from under Liverpool's noses.

United's malaise also underlines what an incredible job Sir Alex did there in overhauling Liverpool's title tally as they must have slipped way behind before he took on the reins at Old Trafford.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Atalanta v Fiorentina on now, Italian Cup semi. This’ll be another cracker, first leg was 3-3.

Josep Illicic starring for Atalanta, scored something like 11 goals and bundles of assists this season, great player. He looked a machine for Maribor all those years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    There were 2 United fans in the boozer last night, that was their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Atalanta v Fiorentina on now, Italian Cup semi. This’ll be another cracker, first leg was 3-3.

Josep Illicic starring for Atalanta, scored something like 11 goals and bundles of assists this season, great player. He looked a machine for Maribor all those years ago..
    I watched that first leg, it was outstanding, the best game I've seen this season not involving Ajax

Great game. This one is 1-1 but could be anything, so open and so end to end. Be shocked if no more goals.

Muriel again, BTW - machine.

Ilicic is actually ridiculous, so much talent.

But seems like a twat. Fine tackle by La Viola defender on him and he screams so much he gets the foul. Thanks for the heads up, great game, now stage set for a Simeone winner.

Lafont

I always liked him in Ligue 1, but he's done that a few times now for Fiorentina.

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post

Look at the comparison of United and Spurs in terms of development at the moment with Spurs spending hundreds of millions less. It is unacceptable for Man Utd.

Spurs don't have a choice. They've got a £1 billion stadium to pay for....