hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

away friendlies v english teams

I see the Manchester united v hibs 1948 is up for £250 on eBay, is this the rarest post war friendly, or Doncaster rovers 52 ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    The one that is up is a home game for Willie McCartneys testimonial. Donít think itís that rare..Iíd stand corrected but think going rate around £100 for it.
    We played Man Utd away on 29/3/52. Itís not particularly rare either I donít think..prices £30-60 depending on condition.
    We also played them away on 30/9/53. This one is pretty rare as it was midweek, 515 KO & was testimonial for Tom Curry (Man U trainer). Might be up to £200 this one.

In my opinion the rarest is the Leeds Utd friendly from 54/5 (not the 53/4). Think Doncaster one crops up reasonably regularly. Bury 55/6 also quite rare as small single sheet.

Perhaps others can confirm all this.

Iím looking for Walsall 88/9 if anyone has it!

Nb we played Spurs 9 times in 11 seasons all away from home..1948 to 1959
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

First Team Breakthrough
    Sure I saw one of the Leeds ones come up recently ., can't remember which , but was expensive . Thanks for the info ano

First Team Breakthrough
    Just checked and the Leeds 53/54 is on for £200 ....and it looks in pretty poor nick !!

@hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one that is up is a home game for Willie McCartneys testimonial. Donít think itís that rare..Iíd stand corrected but think going rate around £100 for it.
    We played Man Utd away on 29/3/52. Itís not particularly rare either I donít think..prices £30-60 depending on condition.
    We also played them away on 30/9/53. This one is pretty rare as it was midweek, 515 KO & was testimonial for Tom Curry (Man U trainer). Might be up to £200 this one.

In my opinion the rarest is the Leeds Utd friendly from 54/5 (not the 53/4). Think Doncaster one crops up reasonably regularly. Bury 55/6 also quite rare as small single sheet.

Perhaps others can confirm all this.

Iím looking for Walsall 88/9 if anyone has it!

Nb we played Spurs 9 times in 11 seasons all away from home..1948 to 1959
    Picked up Walsall recently at a price.
    Desperate for Man U 53, Leeds 54 and I donít think Iíve ever clapped eyes on Bury 56.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Picked up Walsall recently at a price.
    Desperate for Man U 53, Leeds 54 and I donít think Iíve ever clapped eyes on Bury 56.
    There's an old fella who has a stall at tynemouth market on a Saturday and deals almost exclusively in Newcastle programmes, I asked him about nufc v hibs stuff from the 50's and he reckoned he had some but was pretty disorganised and couldn't find them. I've asked him to put any aside and will call down this sat, is it the friendly from 3/10/1956 your after ?
    Probably a long shot, but ill ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by tynehibs View Post
    There's an old fella who has a stall at tynemouth market on a Saturday and deals almost exclusively in Newcastle programmes, I asked him about nufc v hibs stuff from the 50's and he reckoned he had some but was pretty disorganised and couldn't find them. I've asked him to put any aside and will call down this sat, is it the friendly from 3/10/1956 your after ?
    Probably a long shot, but ill ask him.
    That would be sound.
    Itís the game at ER, 1956/57. 26th Nov 1956...the game in October was at StJamesí,,,,,,
    Ta
    Stevie.

Iggy

You have probably seen it, Newcastle 56/7 on eBay just now. Looks a bit more than slightly creased

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Iggy

You have probably seen it, Newcastle 56/7 on eBay just now. Looks a bit more than slightly creased
    Iím on holiday and not seen it E but Iíll have a look now!