hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Insert Daffy gif
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Great characters who epitomise what the fans love to see in a player. Total Hibs. Delighted with this announcement and the bar is set standard wise for whoever replaces them down the line.

@hibs.net private member
    The type of succession planning I really can buy into. I doubt anyone signing those contracts thinks Daz and SDG will be lacing their first team boots up in 4 years but they can still continue to be great asserts to the club for those four years as coaches, mentors or any other suitable roles. Imagine SDG walking up the steps as Cup Winning manager in the future.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On recent performances new contracts are well justified for both of them, but a 4 year contract for two players who have both been increasingly injury prone and 30 and 33 respectively seem to be at the extreme end of generous, not to mention optimistic. We already have a player of a similar age to Daz sitting on his bum contributing nothing who was given a 4 year contract.

I love both players, but if you take sentiment out of it this seems like a risky strategy for a club like us who can little afford to have a squad which 2 years down the line could end up with too many players on long term deals unable to contribute fully to the team but whose wages mean we cant afford to bring in replacements.
    This is one of the worst takes I've seen in ages, even worse than people saying heckingbottom was out of his depth.

There is clear context to this and it's about more than immediate business to keep these guys at hibs as long as possible.

If you take the sentiment out of football then you are left with something no one has any connection to. We've recently seen other players in this league keep playing until their late thirties, no reason why these two can't also do that(but the obvious plan here is to move them into other roles with the club), and if they don't then they are great to have around regardless.

On recent performances new contracts are well justified for both of them, but a 4 year contract for two players who have both been increasingly injury prone and 30 and 33 respectively seem to be at the extreme end of generous, not to mention optimistic. We already have a player of a similar age to Daz sitting on his bum contributing nothing who was given a 4 year contract.

I love both players, but if you take sentiment out of it this seems like a risky strategy for a club like us who can little afford to have a squad which 2 years down the line could end up with too many players on long term deals unable to contribute fully to the team but whose wages mean we cant afford to bring in replacements.
    My interpretation, when also taking in LD's comments weeks ago that there has to be a place for characters like SDG and Daz within the structure of the club, is that there will be an element of football contract while still able to but then a movement to coaching or whatever department they are seen as best being employed in when not able to perform at the level required.

SDG certainly emphasised that he was looking to play for a good while yet on one of his press conference interviews but would be surprised to see him and Daz fulfill all 4 years as players tbh.

If they were in anyway responsible for nipping in the bud the downturn in relationship between NL and the players (certainly if story of SDG persuading Flo to stay is true) then we have already seen their value to the club. Butcher was able to wreck the morale and we got relegated whereas this situation was dealt with and we've recovered immediately to be back up the top half of the table, i wouldn't mind betting we've saved the value of these contracts this season alone.

@hibs.net private member
    Amazing news. SDG can't be far off the contract for life that many have been clamouring for!

Great news and well deserved for these 2 Hibernian legends.

Left by mutual consent!
    Such a perfect day....

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Been a proper Carlsberg weekend, what with the weather, news and results

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    This is outstanding news. Well done Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    So the next management team, all going according to plan.
    Sounds like it...fantastic news and great to have the longevity with these 2 absolute legends

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    I am in tears sipping my wine by the river in Singapore. I love them to bits and want to give them a big man hug.
    I'm immediately booking a trip to Bulgaria. Can't wait to be in tears on my balcony.

Fantastic news

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member

Maybe you should have watched George Craig’s video before posting

Superb news, another 2 pieces of the Hibernian Family jigsaw firmly in place.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar

Read it properly ya radge 😜😘

@hibs.net private member We done it Dad's Avatar
    Great news.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Wonderful news. Even just watching them on Sunday it was clear that their playing careers are nowhere near over. To have their leadership, courage and commitment around for four years, in whatever capacity, is a great move by the club.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The type of succession planning I really can buy into. I doubt anyone signing those contracts thinks Daz and SDG will be lacing their first team boots up in 4 years but they can still continue to be great asserts to the club for those four years as coaches, mentors or any other suitable roles. Imagine SDG walking up the steps as Cup Winning manager in the future.
    Gray might still be looking at playing in 3 or 4 years time as he only turns 31 next month. The four year deal is probably more of a risk for him than it is McGregor IMO. McGregor will be ready to move on to whatever the club have lined up for him in the next couple of years. Gray could potentially not be playing but not ready move on to the next thing either. Suppose only time will tell on that.

Anyway, I won’t complain about guys like this remaining connected to the club. I’ve never thought we’ve been very good at that type of thing.

Remember that the current structure involves an element of succession planning. This news is the finest example I’ve seen of that being put into practice. Its great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think this is to keep them in the club once they stop playing. Get them prepared for coaching and managing, get another good 2-3 seasons out of them and have them ready to run the place.

A management team of Gray and McGregor who have been honed to being the best managers they can be over a number of years by an already intelligent team in Hecky and Robbie is the ultimate succession planning.
    If that's the plan then I certainly don't have any problem with the deals they have been given. No player being coached by SDG, Daz or for that Matter Lewis Stevenson would ever be able to turn round and moan if these guys asked them to give more or try harder .. 3 of the most committed 100% tryers ever to pull on a Hibs shirt

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Brilliant news! Both are club legends who deserve the utmost respect and that is what Heckingbottom/Leanne have given them.

Sir David is still only 30, so don't see any reason why he doesn't have a whole load of more football left in him (Big Daz is 33, Berra is 34 etc!). Would have been very sad if we were saying goodbye to either of them end of this season, but now we know they will finish their careers at the club they love!

Left by mutual consent!
    Almost testimonial territory for Sir Dave too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Brilliant news! Both are club legends who deserve the utmost respect and that is what Heckingbottom/Leanne have given them.

Sir David is still only 30, so don't see any reason why he doesn't have a whole load of more football left in him (Big Daz is 33, Berra is 34 etc!). Would have been very sad if we were saying goodbye to either of them end of this season, but now we know they will finish their careers at the club they love!
    Top post.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Brilliant news. Want guys like this at the club after they hang up the boots. Was reading about Ajax and how so many ex players have roles there, in shaping the youth players and letting them know about the club and the expectations. It's the way to go.

Fantastic news.

Slightly concerned by the four years when I saw the Twitter announcement but it makes more sense on further reading.

Not seen the Craig interview so could someone briefly sum up what he said please?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Both club legends to finish their careers at Hibs 😊

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Certainly looks like the club have earmarked them as future coaches/head coaches. They both came over very well in the interview. Glad to have them at the club long term

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Seriously good news for the club and the fans. Two leaders on the pitch and Key influences at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby