hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ollie Shaw new Steven fletcher?

Watching Ollie again on Sunday you can see he is far from the finished article, he reminded me of a young Fletcher lacking strength and falling down a lot.Talented yes but really needs to work on the weights as Fletcher obviously did..so much so he became a real top player.Ollie I believe can achieve that but perhaps needs out on loan just now .It is hard for young players to go straight in like yesterday and it can have negative effect on them especially when they pass up basic opportunities which can be far between..so lets see Ollie develop he can do that I feel sure.He needs encouragement not abuse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Ollie again on Sunday you can see he is far from the finished article, he reminded me of a young Fletcher lacking strength and falling down a lot.Talented yes but really needs to work on the weights as Fletcher obviously did..so much so he became a real top player.Ollie I believe can achieve that but perhaps needs out on loan just now .It is hard for young players to go straight in like yesterday and it can have negative effect on them especially when they pass up basic opportunities which can be far between..so lets see Ollie develop he can do that I feel sure.He needs encouragement not abuse.
    I agree with your last sentence. The lad has bulked up since last season but he seems to be lacking in self confidence. It must be difficult to come off the bench with limited time to prove yourself and the early chance that came his way yesterday was proof of that. He must be disappointed with his career progression this season but hopefully he'll still be given time to prove to the Manager that he merits a regular starting place.

Shaw isn't in the same class as Fletcher for me. Fletcher went for millions and played EPL football. Very good player. He had the benefit of doing it under the radar behind Riordan and Gaz O to be fair. If we'd signed Shaw he'd be getting pelters. He gets a lot of leeway with coming through the development squad but he's a first team squad player now and i just don't think he's good enough. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

@hibs.net private member
    Fletch was 17 when he broke into the team...By the time he was 21 (Oli's age)..he was our top striker. Celtic and others were looking at him.... he was also fast and powerful ...Oli is quite a different player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

should have scored and completely messed up another.

he's not (yet at least) good enough sadly.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not in the same league as Fletch for me sorry. I dont think Ollie will be near the first team next term probably out on loan somewhere for the season. Was a huge mistake by Lennon not to sign another experienced striker and weve relied far too heavily on Ollie this season and I really dont think hes the required level for a top 6 team...sorry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I think Shaw has a long way to go just to make it at Hibs, never mind achieve the relative success that Fletcher has had in his career.

A loan move to a team like Livi or Hamilton could be good for him next season (obviously with a clause that he can't play against Hibs). Would give him a chance to prove that he's a SPL standard player. I just can't see us being able to give him the game time he needs in the short term to kick on.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Goodness knows what he does in training, but he needs to work on his 2 footedness.....seemed determined to get that chance on his right foot, and the chance was gone
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

The last couple of times I've seen him he's been hopeless, miles below the required quality.

Previously I thought he needed to go out on loan, and the stuff he's been worst at (decision making, finishing, game awareness, passing the ball straight to opposition players) might improve after playing every week at a decent level.

The more I see of him though, the more I think he's simply not good enough and never will be.

We can't afford sentiment here. A solid striker goes on yesterday and takes one of those chances, we win the game.

He's not even close to the level Fletcher was at 21. Nowhere near.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Like Oli but he will be disappointed with the first opportunity he had should have got shot away. Did well to get effort in when Bain saved well near the end. Think he will score in the derby.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He's playing just now like he's totally lost confidence. We've seen that he can play at this level but at the moment he looks like he's terrified to get the ball, and when he does get it he's not working on instinct, he's overthinking and making a mess of things.

I think a good pre-season and a couple of goals in friendlies will help him get back on track.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

He is nowhere near a starting position. I’d personally send him on loan to a top championship team if they’d take him. Not where we need our strikers to be.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Agree with all of the above but still looked a better option than Flo when he came on certainly more mobile more of a threat and at least trying to get on the end of things in the box

No where near similar to Fletcher

Guys like Riordan, GOC,Griffiths,ORourke,Durie and Baker were all scoring goals for fun at a younger age

Past Managers and the fans have been remarkably patient with Olly Shaw and he has been given more leeway than most - a goal against Hearts would be nice

The clock is still ticking

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Shaw is moving into the promising laddie who failed to deliver department. We really need to strengthen up front in the summer

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    The first chance he had when he cut back, Omeonga should have been running in to the box for an easy finish. If Ollie had turned and shot, he was shooting in to bodies. For the second one, Bain was already on top of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Goodness knows what he does in training, but he needs to work on his 2 footedness.....seemed determined to get that chance on his right foot, and the chance was gone
    The earliest opportunity was to hit it with his right foot. Maybe not taking it first time then led to refusing to hit it with his left, but he had the chance to take it with his favourite right.

It’s a shame the second one didn’t go in for him as there’s not a lot else you can do in that position and unfortunately the keeper has got something on it. Bad luck that it happened to the boy who is coming in for a lot of over the top stick from fans, if it had went in it could have really helped him.

How long can we wait for him to progress to a first team regular?

Having said that he was no worse than kamberi who was anonymous yesterday.

Omeonga please sign this lad up. He was outstanding - what energy he has. He just gets hibs and I think this lad is great.

Onto the derby

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    The first chance he had when he cut back, Omeonga should have been running in to the box for an easy finish. If Ollie had turned and shot, he was shooting in to bodies. For the second one, Bain was already on top of the ball.
    I didn't think he could do any more with the second one - he did well to get to the ball first and it was a good save.

The first one was dreadful. If that was Derek Riordan - even in his first handful of appearances in the first team - then the chance is taken, first time, on his right or left foot and it is hit cleanly.

Riordan sets a high bar, but that is the kind of level we should be looking for our youngsters to be at, especially youngsters with Shaw's scoring record at development level.

You don't get on behind Celtic like that often.

Surely our top training center and sports science guys will have him bulking up. It's up to him to really push himself tho. Remember McGinn coming back from pre season and he's legs were huge. Ovb pounded the gym

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Time is running out for him to make it at his level. He has the quality but not sure if he has the confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I didn't think he could do any more with the second one - he did well to get to the ball first and it was a good save.

The first one was dreadful. If that was Derek Riordan - even in his first handful of appearances in the first team - then the chance is taken, first time, on his right or left foot and it is hit cleanly.

Riordan sets a high bar, but that is the kind of level we should be looking for our youngsters to be at, especially youngsters with Shaw's scoring record at development level.

Let’s not forget Riordan had barely (if at all) scored a goal for Hibs at the age Oli is now.

Shaw has one of the best records in the league in terms of goals per minute. Whether he’d maintain that with a run of starts is tough to say. I do think our fans are incredibly harsh on him. He’s a great squad player with potential to develop to a better level. Not sure why people want to chase him out. Hearts, Killie, Aberdeen....their third choice strikers aren’t better than Oli Shaw

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    I like Oli but if he can't replace an out of form Kamberi that's a worry.

Fletch, by comparison, had three seasons under his belt and was our main striker at a younger age than Oli is right now. He'd also scored two goals in a Cup Final.

@hibs.net private member
    Wonder if we should loan him out to a lesser Premiership club rather than championship. Sure the likes of Livingston, Motherwell or Hearts would be interested.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Let’s not forget Riordan had barely (if at all) scored a goal for Hibs at the age Oli is now.

Shaw has one of the best records in the league in terms of goals per minute. Whether he’d maintain that with a run of starts is tough to say. I do think our fans are incredibly harsh on him. He’s a great squad player with potential to develop to a better level. Not sure why people want to chase him out. Hearts, Killie, Aberdeen....their third choice strikers aren’t better than Oli Shaw
    Harsh indeed. He needs first team starts. Build confidence then fully develop into the goal scoring asset he will surely be.

Left by mutual consent!
    Get him down to QoS in the summer on Loan. We will bring in another striker for definite probably two.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

He should have hit the first chance first time, correct, but Bain was well positioned and, if Omeonga had made the run Shaw was expecting, he would have had the easiest chance at a great angle. It's not some mad howler of an opportunity, because the Celtic players have 2 defenders and the keeper between him and the goal as soon as he takes his touch.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    He isn't as bad as a lot make out on here but he isn't as good as Leeann Dempster made out either, he is a decent up and coming striker but not one who is good enough at this moment for a team who want to be pushing for Europe each season. If he stays at hibs his progression will stall I think, as he isn't going to get as much game time as he needs to get any better

Oli is not good enough. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Wonder if we should loan him out to a lesser Premiership club rather than championship. Sure the likes of Livingston, Motherwell or Hearts would be interested.
    Think the regular game time at Hearts would do him good tbh

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    He should have hit the first chance first time, correct, but Bain was well positioned and, if Omeonga had made the run Shaw was expecting, he would have had the easiest chance at a great angle. It's not some mad howler of an opportunity, because the Celtic players have 2 defenders and the keeper between him and the goal as soon as he takes his touch.
    If he hits a clean, early strike off a well-positioned goalkeeper for the first then you can't be too critical. He's done the right thing, executed it well and been unlucky - a bit like the second.

As it happens he made a pig's ear of it, and the dally on the ball/ pass it straight to an opposition player combo is something he has been guilty of more than once in recent weeks.