hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Each of the 3 seasons had their highs

Each of the 3 seasons had their lows

There's mitigating factors legitimately IMO for us not gaining promotion in both Stubbs' seasons in charge with building a squad and sheer volume of games in season 2.

At the end of the day, Lennon got the job done. Was it pretty? Absolutely not but when the pressure was on he handled it and dragged us over the line. We were top for almost 30 game weeks out of 36.

We never struggled to beat Rangers or Hearts in their time with us in the league so the easier league argument doesn't wash with me bearing in mind we also had Cowdenbeath we scraped past.

Each season had a unique circumstance attached. Each season saw big wins and poor draws/losses against part time sides

I enjoyed NL as Hibs manager. He's moved on and I thanked him at the time for his contribution. I wish him well for the rest of the season in the hope he can do us some favours. After that he will move back in to a media role/take a manager role outside Scotland in which case he doesn't directly affect Hibs anymore
    It doesn’t wash with you that the league with Hearts and Rangers in it wasn’t harder than without them in it? That’s madness. Hearts won the league in record points total regardless of how we played against them.

We had to build from scratch so consistency was always going to be the issue.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Lennons championship winning season

P - 36
    W - 19
    D - 14
    L - 3
    Pts - 71

Stubbs first season

P - 36
    W -21
    D - 7
    L - 8
    Pts - 70

Stubbs second season

P - 36
    W - 21
    D - 7
    L - 8
    Pts - 70

Both Stubbs seasons would have taken us up when Lennon did and both Stubbs seasons were considerably harder than Lennons season. 14 draws is mental.
    Last edited by Since452; 25-04-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It doesn’t wash with you that the league with Hearts and Rangers in it wasn’t harder than without them in it? That’s madness. Hearts won the league in record points total regardless of how we played against them.

We had to build from scratch so consistency was always going to be the issue.
    So let's wipe out the first season then as even if we were better prepared we'd have probably finished behind them

2nd season, volume of games was our killer not the strength of the league - Falkirk would have finished above us anyway

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    So let's wipe out the first season then as even if we were better prepared we'd have probably finished behind them

2nd season, volume of games was our killer not the strength of the league - Falkirk would have finished above us anyway
    I never said wipe it out, I’m saying it was a lot lot harder to win with they teams there than it was with them not there.

Second season rangers where still in the league had a new manager and spent a lot more, again a lot harder than the third season down there.

Leagues with Hearts and Rangers with one going up is a lot harder to win than without them. Especially as the first season we came second to the team who won the league with record points.

Lennon done a good job and grateful he managed to take us up. We struggled in whole that season to go up though it wasn’t all magical football pissing it all the way as some portray. We went second over Xmas time to Dundee Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I never said wipe it out, I’m saying it was a lot lot harder to win with they teams there than it was with them not there.

Second season rangers where still in the league had a new manager and spent a lot more, again a lot harder than the third season down there.

Leagues with Hearts and Rangers with one going up is a lot harder to win than without them. Especially as the first season we came second to the team who won the league with record points.

Lennon done a good job and grateful he managed to take us up. We struggled in whole that season to go up though it wasn’t all magical football pissing it all the way as some portray. We went second over Xmas time to Dundee Utd.
    That first season, Rangers were there in name only. Were they any better than what Dundee United were for example in the third season? Open to debate I'd say.

I acknowledged that the season under lennon was not pretty but it's exactly the style of play that many lamented Stubbs' side for. Any number of stats can be pulled out to back either side though

I don't have a side I favour btw, as I said each of the 3 seasons had unique circumstances and I enjoyed them all more than I did most since Mowbray.

My overall point is that he achieved "job done" status from the season in the championship but the league imo was more rounded and not quite the doddle it's being made out. Certainly no messiah though

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    No he wasn't....that's a myth...in fact in a recent interview LD confirmed she actually travelled down to England to try to get him to change his mind.
    She might have done but his wife had a lot to do with it 😉

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Besties Debut View Post
    I take it you are aiming your post at HFCEighteen75. Im off the opinion that winning a league is better than not winning it
    I was. And me too. I fell asleep though .

Lennon got Hibs promoted from The Championship, for which I was very grateful. If Stubbs had stayed, he would also have got us promoted...almost guaranteed with no Hearts and Rangers in the league plus a Falkirk team on the slide.

Lennon helped Hibs to a record points total, but appeared to lose it after the Hearts match at the end of the season and, IMO, he wasn't quite the same after that.

I enjoyed the Championship win, and especially enjoyed last season, but I wasn't exactly heartbroken by the time he left... as we were going downhill rapidly and it seemed to have become 'The Lennon Show'.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    How was the Championship easier for Lennon to win?

I read on here that it was the worst Hearts and Rangers teams ever when they were in that league.

Every week I was being told that Hearts would crumble and that we would catch them cause they were total gash.

So really the league was tougher cause these two totally rank teams were replaced by better!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Lennon got Hibs promoted from The Championship, for which I was very grateful. If Stubbs had stayed, he would also have got us promoted...almost guaranteed with no Hearts and Rangers in the league plus a Falkirk team on the slide.

Lennon helped Hibs to a record points total, but appeared to lose it after the Hearts match at the end of the season and, IMO, he wasn't quite the same after that.

I enjoyed the Championship win, and especially enjoyed last season, but I wasn't exactly heartbroken by the time he left... as we were going downhill rapidly and it seemed to have become 'The Lennon Show'.
    Could have written that myself. Exactly how i feel.