hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heckingbottom

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    'I'm a little bit in love with them' - Heckingbottom on Hibs surge https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48007229

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wonder if the Celtic Hierarchy were paying any attention today?

It would be a huge decision for them but they could well be sniffing about Heckingbottom. Better of the two by miles.

Might be a big sell to the 'Green Brigade' though. Not a Sellik man.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It would be a huge decision for them but they could well be sniffing about Heckingbottom. Better of the two by miles.

No chance imo

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I’ll never forgive Lennon for saying that he was unable to celebrate a Hibs goal against Celtic, even moreso, when stated that he had to tell Parker to sit on his arse when he wanted to celebrate a Hibs goal against them. With Heckingbottom now well established, I’m delighted to be shot of Lennon.
    Where was this said? Didn't see it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You'll find it on YouTube, Lennon was a speaker at a smoker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I’ve already mentioned this in another thread and when asked to show the source, I did, quotes and all. I’m not going to waste time searching for it again, but I can assure you it was genuine. He spoke about this just after moving to Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post

He is just in the door and not proven at managing a Club chasing all the Honours Ten in a row and trying to improve on European form
    Lets enjoy him instead of trying to say he is doing so well he may not be here next Season
    He needs to bring in his own players and then continue good form next Season and Have is getting to later stages of Cup Competitions and looking to finish in top three if possible
    If he achieves that then yes he will be on the Radar of other Clubs you would think
    He has impressed in in every aspect of how he has gone about the job and never looks flustered The Players have bought into him bigs tyke and are playing with Confidence
    But the next two games are Huge and must wins to keep the pressure on Kilmarnock
    Let’s see how we handle these two games

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Nope. As fans we got got up in the hysteria. He’s not very good.
    Aye we suffered from Stockholm syndrome, we should all go support Celtic now. Your a grade A **** poster.

We are unbeatable

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I’ve already mentioned this in another thread and when asked to show the source, I did, quotes and all. I’m not going to waste time searching for it again, but I can assure you it was genuine. He spoke about this just after moving to Celtic.
    I wouldn’t get to upset about those comments. They like to play to the gallery through there. It’s expected.

His team always performed well against Celtic though. Some of the best performances I’ve seen from Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    I think you can see the progress that we are making under Hecky every week. Hope we can give him the financial backing to strengthen the squad because I think he could do something really special at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Aye we suffered from Stockholm syndrome, we should all go support Celtic now. Your a grade A **** poster.
    You’re. 👍go and ask the players what they think of him. I’ll support Hibs as they deserve my support. The idolising is very odd.

I thought this was a thread about Hecky, not Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by hibshibshibs1 View Post
    From a 60 year old using text speak.

For ****'s sake

Is that better.

Heckingbottom is a better head coach than Neil Lennon

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    What a strange comment from a Hibs fan.
    Are you sure he is a Hibs fan or just a wind up merchant ?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Heckingbottom is a better head coach than Neil Lennon

Seems like real progress from the cup tie v Celtc to this game.

Hecky is getting his ideas across and getting performances out of the squad every game. It’s impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Heckingbottom is managing to get as many points with the unbalanced, out of form and mismanaged squad he walked into as Lennon has since he joined a team miles ahead in the league, playing lovely football to that point and having won the last 7 domestic trophies on the bounce. Heckingbottom is a good bit ahead of Lennon when it comes to setting a team up and getting them playing for each other from the evidence so far and the success Lennon had towards the end of last season came from happening across a formula and managing to avoid messing with it for a while. When he did tinker at Tynecastle he made things worse. Heck has us solid and organised and hopefully he can expand on that when he gets players in over the summer. He has done incredibly well in his short tenure so far and I suspect he won't be here for longer than a couple of seasons as he will move on to bigger things down south.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Seems like real progress from the cup tie v Celtc to this game.

Hecky is getting his ideas across and getting performances out of the squad every game. It’s impressive.
    I think that two differences have closed the gap since the cup game - Hecky's impact on us and Lennon's impact on Celtic 😉

Left by mutual consent!
    Just read this, got me buzzing for next season already.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/0...-the-old-firm/

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    This year he lost the plot - but the championship season we got out the division which Stubbs couldn’t do and last season, yes mostly the second half was a complete joy to watch.
    Stubbs and Lennon did not manage Hibs in the same Championships.

Stubbs' two Championships were freaks of nature that will almost certainly NEVER be repeated again in terms of their difficulty.

To have Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the second tier of Scottish football, followed by Hibs and Rangers the season after is completely unheard of and a mishmash of financial impropriety and disastrous on-the-field fortunes led to its creation.

What you (and a lot of people in Scottish football at the time) failed to understand was that there was a complete bottleneck in Scottish football. While in the Championship, Hibs were clearly a better than half the top flight (the cup results attest to this), but the nature of promotion/relegation made it very difficult for us to replace any of them.

We had to instead wait for Hearts and Rangers to leave the league before we could do so comfortably. Had we maybe sacrificed the cups in 2015/16, we might've pipped Rangers to the title and gone up a season earlier. This would've been at the expense of the far better, more valuable and financially lucrative winning of the Scottish Cup, which has completely re-galvanised as a club.

Pretending that this isn't the case is completely disingenuous of yourself and any other person who points to Lennon's Championship season as any sort of success. It was the bare minimum that was achieved and it wasn't done well or convincingly, given our huge budget that dwarfed the rest of the league - outwith Dundee United at a push.

Stubbs takes all the credit for Hibs' revitalisation, Lennon had 3 brilliant months at Easter Road (February to April 2018), the rest ranged between fairly good to downright awful. Good riddance to him and long live Alan Stubbs.
    Last edited by HibeeHibernian4; 21-04-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

Stubbs' two Championships were freaks of nature that will almost certainly NEVER be repeated again in terms of their difficulty.

To have Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the second tier of Scottish football, followed by Hibs and Rangers the season after is completely unheard of and a mishmash of financial impropriety and disastrous on-the-field fortunes led to its creation.

What you (and a lot of people in Scottish football at the time) failed to understand was that there was a complete bottleneck in Scottish football. While in the Championship, Hibs were clearly a better than half the top flight (the cup results attest to this), but the nature of promotion/relegation made it very difficult for us to replace any of them.

We had to instead wait for Hearts and Rangers to leave the league before we could do so comfortably. Had we maybe sacrificed the cups in 2015/16, we might've pipped Rangers to the title and gone up a season earlier. This would've been at the expense of the far better, more valuable and financially lucrative winning of the Scottish Cup, which has completely re-galvanised as a club.

Pretending that this isn't the case is completely disingenuous of yourself and any other person who points to Lennon's Championship season as any sort of success. It was the bare minimum that was achieved and it wasn't done well or convincingly, given our huge budget that dwarfed the rest of the league - outwith Dundee United at a push.

Stubbs takes all the credit for Hibs' revitalisation, Lennon had 3 brilliant months at Easter Road (February to April 2018), the rest ranged between fairly good to downright awful. Good riddance to him and long live Alan Stubbs.
    I agree that he turned a shambles into a breath of fresh air, he did that well. Winning the Scottish Cup should see a statue of some sort placed outside Easter Road for that achievement, which will only ever be topped by Hibs winning the Premiership. However, there was no excuses for not beating Falkirk in the play offs that season, they even finished above us in the league, you can't put that down to a few cup games. Lennon did what was required, although it is expected, it is an achievement. Last season was better football than anything played under Stubbs Imo. Would that have been the case under Stubbs? Who knows. But it's a wonder why he is where he's at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I agree that he turned a shambles into a breath of fresh air, he did that well. Winning the Scottish Cup should see a statue of some sort placed outside Easter Road for that achievement, which will only ever be topped by Hibs winning the Premiership. However, there was no excuses for not beating Falkirk in the play offs that season, they even finished above us in the league, you can't put that down to a few cup games. Lennon did what was required, although it is expected, it is an achievement. Last season was better football than anything played under Stubbs Imo. Would that have been the case under Stubbs? Who knows. But it's a wonder why he is where he's at now.
    I can name you several 'excuses' (reasons, to be less loaded) why we didn't beat Falkirk.

They were an utter gang under Houston, who had them trained to snidely foul their way to victories.

Alan Muir missed blatant handball in the box in the first leg, which could've potentially put Hibs 3-1 up and coasting in the tie.

You can absolutely put it down to 'a few cup games', although for the record it was far more than 'a few'. We went the distance in both cup finals - something no other Hibs manager has ever achieved, by the way. As we had replays against Hearts and ICT, we were a Raith Rovers replay away from literally having the most cup games that a side can have in one season.

Fighting on three fronts took it out of a talented but threadbare squad. Stubbs recruited top, top players (far beyond the calibre of anything Lennon brought to the club), and as a result we had five or six exceptional players backed up by about fifteen decent ones. This meant general fatigue plus injuries was always going to affect us.

We played 54 competitive games in that season, and there is a clear nucleus of fourteen players, with Malonga in the first half of the season and Stokes in the second half of the season bringing the total up to sixteen.

Stevenson, McGinn, Cummings, Henderson, Gray, Oxley, Hanlon, McGregor, Keatings, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Boyle and McGeouch all made 30+ appearances that season for Hibs. Stevenson and McGinn actually broke the 50 game barrier. That's almost unheard of for a Scottish side who aren't playing in European football.

Stubbs wasn't perfect, and I don't know how he would've shaped out with us had he stayed. The romantic in me is almost pleased he left. A club like Hibs are never likely to be competing for the league, so we should always prioritise cups, which is something that Stubbs did extremely well.

Left by mutual consent!
    I can name you several 'excuses' (reasons, to be less loaded) why we didn't beat Falkirk.

They were an utter gang under Houston, who had them trained to snidely foul their way to victories.

Alan Muir missed blatant handball in the box in the first leg, which could've potentially put Hibs 3-1 up and coasting in the tie.

You can absolutely put it down to 'a few cup games', although for the record it was far more than 'a few'. We went the distance in both cup finals - something no other Hibs manager has ever achieved, by the way. As we had replays against Hearts and ICT, we were a Raith Rovers replay away from literally having the most cup games that a side can have in one season.

Fighting on three fronts took it out of a talented but threadbare squad. Stubbs recruited top, top players (far beyond the calibre of anything Lennon brought to the club), and as a result we had five or six exceptional players backed up by about fifteen decent ones. This meant general fatigue plus injuries was always going to affect us.

We played 54 competitive games in that season, and there is a clear nucleus of fourteen players, with Malonga in the first half of the season and Stokes in the second half of the season bringing the total up to sixteen.

Stevenson, McGinn, Cummings, Henderson, Gray, Oxley, Hanlon, McGregor, Keatings, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Boyle and McGeouch all made 30+ appearances that season for Hibs. Stevenson and McGinn actually broke the 50 game barrier. That's almost unheard of for a Scottish side who aren't playing in European football.

Stubbs wasn't perfect, and I don't know how he would've shaped out with us had he stayed. The romantic in me is almost pleased he left. A club like Hibs are never likely to be competing for the league, so we should always prioritise cups, which is something that Stubbs did extremely well.
    We only played 1 cup game between 17th March and 2nd May in which period we took only 15 points from 27, which ultimately cost us 2nd place and would have put us in a more favourable position to beat Falkirk. Play offs weren't great either. Lost away to Raith and Falkirk, managing a win at home to Raith and a draw against Falkirk.

Outwith the Scottish Cup win it was sackable.
    Last edited by Hibeesmad; 22-04-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Exactly. Stubbs performance as manager in the Championship was more impressive than NL when you consider what he took over from and what NL took over from and who they both had to compete with. Stubbs never won the league but we were never favourites to. NL took over Hibs as overwhelming favourites to win it. They both performed fairly similarly, the difference being AS was unlucky/NL was lucky enough that the similar points totals they gathered lead to NLs team winning the league and not Stubbs’ team.

I can't be ersed going over the Stubbs V Lennon v Heckingbotttom arguments again.

What I will say is all the hand wringing about Lennon being 'irreplaceable' has been shown for what it was. Heckingbotttom has come in, improved the side, stamped his mark on us and won over a fanbase that had many sceptics within it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I can't be ersed going over the Stubbs V Lennon v Heckingbotttom arguments again.

What I will say is all the hand wringing about Lennon being 'irreplaceable' has been shown for what it was. Heckingbotttom has come in, improved the side, stamped his mark on us and won over a fanbase that had many sceptics within it.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Spot on. There’s also a distinct lack of media columns from Sutton, Hartson and Co declaring how wrong they were about us losing Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    This!

The fact is that Heck did inherit Lennon's team, although Heck has got the most out of them. The acid test is whether Heck has the eye for a transfer.

Lennon Director of Football with Heck Head Coach? 😛
    Does this imply that Lennon was good with transfers? Over the course I'd say he was definitely below par. Particularly compared to the Stubbs era.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar