hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ofir Marciano

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goram and Leighton were both at Man U, (albeit short spells) both signed by Fergie, - Realistically, is Rocky anywhere near that level?
    Still prefer Bogdan 😜
    Fergie also gave Mikey Stewart a 4 year contract at Man United and made him a millionaire

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    It's really not nuts. Rocky' has pulled off the most stunning saves out the lot of them imo. The comparison is clearly there to be made between 3 outstanding Hibs goalies who all had their faults and major major strengths.
    Imho it is incredible we are even discussing this. Rocky has done next to nothing to suggest he is in the same class as two players who played for several years at he highest level domestically and in Europe.
    So we will just have to disagree . I won't add any more as it is simply not worthy of debate imho of course.

Left by mutual consent!
    If Lennon gets the full time gig at Celtic next season i can see him putting in a bid

let's hope Lennon doesn't get the gig.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Imho it is incredible we are even discussing this. Rocky has done next to nothing to suggest he is in the same class as two players who played for several years at he highest level domestically and in Europe.
    So we will just have to disagree . I won't add any more as it is simply not worthy of debate imho of course.

This!

End of......

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Angry

He's consistently made OUTSTANDING saves for Hibs for three seasons now thats why its being discussed. No point discussing any more though you are correct there so im out.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    let's hope Lennon doesn't get the gig.
    He won’t.

Having considered where Marciano sits in terms of great Hibees goalies it’s probably worth considering performances at Hibs, not what a goalie did before or after they left ER?

Marciano is playing as well as any keeper I’ve seen at Hibs. He’s been a talismanic figure in recent months, at times seemingly unbeatable. Goram and Rough had longer spells where they performed at a similar standard, Leighton was a good keeper for Hibs, but his best form came long before he came to ER. He still had excellent games, but he wasn’t at the level he had been at Aberdeen.

Marciano has set the bar very high since Heckingbottom arrived. He’ll need to maintain those standards for a good few seasons before he would really merit overall comparison with Rough, Leighton and Goram. If he does then his value will increase significantly.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 23-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    He won’t.

Having considered where Marciano sits in terms of great Hibees goalies it’s probably worth considering performances at Hibs, not what a goalie did before or after they left ER?

Marciano is playing as well as any keeper I’ve seen at Hibs. He’s been a talismanic figure in recent months, at times seemingly unbeatable. Goram and Rough had longer spells where they performed at a similar standard, Leighton was a good keeper for Hibs, but his best form came long before he came to ER. He still had excellent games, but he wasn’t at the level he had been at Aberdeen.

Marciano has set the bar very high since Heckingbottom arrived. He’ll need to maintain those standards for a good few seasons before he would really merit overall comparison with Rough and Goram. If he does then his value will increase significantly.
    Leighton was good for HIBS and HIBS were good for Leighton

His career was going down the toilet but he won 23 Scotland caps at HIBS

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

It's worth bearing in mind we signed Leighton after he'd been in the wilderness at Man Utd, kicked about on loan and was turning out for Dundee reserves. His career looked over when Miller took a punt on him and had Hibs.net been around them I hate to think of what the reaction to such a signing would have been.

As it was he was an inspired bit of business, got himself back into the Scotland set up after 2 and a bit years out of the picture and was worth a fair few points every season for us. It's no surprise we were relegated the season after we lost him and Jackson.

It was a gamble to sign him but it worked out brilliantly for both parties. His penalty save in the last minute v Rangers and his inspired showing for Scotland v Sweden at Ibrox are particular highlights for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

No one doubts Leighton was a great keeper at Hibs, but for me Goram and Rough were better during their spells at ER. Rough kept us in the Premier League for a good few seasons and Goram developed into a superb keeper at Hibs ( ironically not winning too many caps due to the form of Leighton).

I pointed out Marciano would need to sustain his current form over a number of seasons before he can be compared to the greats mentioned, including auld bandy legs ( I had unconsciously omitted Leighton from my last sentence- apologies).

Marciano is 29, this is the big fellae approaching what should be his best years. I’m hopeful he will carry improving and then he will stand comparison with the very best, for what he did at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    No one doubts Leighton was a great keeper at Hibs, but for me Goram and Rough were better during their spells at ER. Rough kept us in the Premier League for a good few seasons and Goram developed into a superb keeper at Hibs ( ironically not winning too many caps due to the form of Leighton).

I pointed out Marciano would need to sustain his current form over a number of seasons before he can be compared to the greats mentioned, including auld bandy legs ( I had unconsciously omitted Leighton from my last sentence- apologies).

Marciano is 29, this is the big fellae approaching what should be his best years. I’m hopeful he will carry improving and then he will stand comparison with the very best, for what he did at Hibs.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    If Lennon gets the full time gig at Celtic next season i can see him putting in a bid
    As I have posted previously I think if Lennon was to get the Celtic job (which I think is a very big if ) the better option for him would be to try and sign Bogdan who wouldn't cost a penny in a transfer fee.It was Lennon who signed both keepers for Hibs.

Marciano is now an excellent all round keeper now his distribution has improved. There will be teams looking at him already.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    In this case it is nuts.
    Goram and Leighton played against Larsson Gazza etc the standard was different class to today. Absolutely no comparison to be made.
    A great save is a great save regardless of who hit the shot.

There are lots of other aspects that will affect the judgment on which keeper is best though. Leighton was absolutely brilliant then they brought in the rule where the keeper couldn't pick up a pass back and that exposed a weakness in his game that Goram and Rocky didn't / don't have. Keepers get more protection now I reckon so Rocky isn't exposed to the same treatment the others were. The balls are lighter now meaning they travel faster and swerve more making Rocky's job harder.

I don't see how a comparison can be made with all the variables but we are fortunate that all 3 are or were excellent keepers and we are fortunate that we have been able to see them in a Hibs jersey. some of us are also old enough to throw other names into the mix with Ronnie Simpson one of the first keepers I saw being one that would be worthy in any list of great Hibs goalkeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post

There are lots of other aspects that will affect the judgment on which keeper is best though. Leighton was absolutely brilliant then they brought in the rule where the keeper couldn't pick up a pass back and that exposed a weakness in his game that Goram and Rocky didn't / don't have. Keepers get more protection now I reckon so Rocky isn't exposed to the same treatment the others were. The balls are lighter now meaning they travel faster and swerve more making Rocky's job harder.

I don't see how a comparison can be made with all the variables but we are fortunate that all 3 are or were excellent keepers and we are fortunate that we have been able to see them in a Hibs jersey. some of us are also old enough to throw other names into the mix with Ronnie Simpson one of the first keepers I saw being one that would be worthy in any list of great Hibs goalkeepers.

I had Ronnie Simpson on my list

I think it is fair to point out that Rockys kicking and distribution have only really improved since Hecky arrived prior to that it was woeful

I put it down to Heckys eye for detail and the confidence of playing with a settled defence

His kicking and distribution versus Celtic was exceptional

Long may his continued improvement continue

Marciano is a top keeper and in great form. But he is not in the same league as Goram for me. It has to be remembered that back when Goram was at Rangers, they were one of the top paying clubs in Europe. Nowadays he would have likely been at a top EPL team. Marciano is not quite at that level. Also re his height, he is pretty much the same as Casillas who has done not too bad in the modern game!

Outstanding keeper! I don't know what his current contract deal is but if hibs have any sense at all they will go all out to get him signed up long term.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post

Indeed.

Ronnie Simpson was the best Hibs Keeper I saw during my lifetime.

Him saving them, and Gerry Baker scoring them at the other end saved us from relegation in the very early sixties.

He als happens to be, as far as I am aware, the only goalkeeper to have played for Hibs who has a European Cup Winners medal.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Surely the comparison is with their times at Hibs rather than what they done elsewhere though?

I mean if SJM goes on to play for Liverpool or such like that doesn’t instantly make him the best Hibs player ever because he’s made it to the highest level, the best ever Hibs player would be based on how good they were for Hibs?

I’m too young to have seen Goram and although I vaguely remember Leighton (and even had one of they mental goalie jerseys ) I cant really remember much at all of him playing.

What I will say though is that Rocky is comfortably the best keeper I can remember IMO and if Leighton was as bad with his feet as is made out then that’s a huge flaw in his game from his time at Hibs surely? And if he had such a huge flaw in his game then that surely brings Rocky into the debate?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Surely the comparison is with their times at Hibs rather than what they done elsewhere though?

I mean if SJM goes on to play for Liverpool or such like that doesn’t instantly make him the best Hibs player ever because he’s made it to the highest level, the best ever Hibs player would be based on how good they were for Hibs?

I’m too young to have seen Goram and although I vaguely remember Leighton (and even had one of they mental goalie jerseys ) I cant really remember much at all of him playing.

What I will say though is that Rocky is comfortably the best keeper I can remember IMO and if Leighton was as bad with his feet as is made out then that’s a huge flaw in his game from his time at Hibs surely? And if he had such a huge flaw in his game then that surely brings Rocky into the debate?
    Good point

Based on their time at HIBS :

1) Goram

2) Leighton

3) ?

Rocky is on a brilliant run of form and long may it continue

Jim Leighton ( Auld Bandy Legs) did have difficulty adjusting when the pass back rule changed and the goalkeeping role become more of a sweeper role but nevertheless went on to play 178 games for HIBS and 23 games for Scotland while a HIBS player

Andy Goram was outstanding with HIBS it was like he had Velcro gloves on the ball just stuck to his hands and always had his angles spot on.

Rocky all credit to him has been outstanding since PH came in his handling his command of his box kicking and distribution have improved beyond all recognition

If he can keep this run going and continue to perform consistently for the remaining two years of his contract yes he will be up there with the all time greats

All of the above is of course just imho

GGTTH

Edit:

My sons had the sexy green and the black and white goalie tops with the Belhaven badge centre chest
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 25-04-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

That was the point I tried to make earlier on this thread. I was judging the goalies on what they did at Hibs, not before or after.

I hadn’t realised Leighton had played as much for Hibs as he did, nor did I realise how many caps he’s won at ER. Looking back, this was a time when my laddie was playing football for teams and I played on Saturdays myself. I probably didn’t go to that many games over a season.

Leighton had flaws, aside from the ball at his feet he wasn’t brilliant with crosses. I would say that neither of these issues serious flaws, but judging him against the very best, they were weaknesses in his game.

Otherwise he was a brilliant keeper overall. His judgement and decision making were top class and he was a fantastic shot stopper. Third behind Goram and Rough over the past 50 years of me going to games at ER.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Seems he has been offered more to return to Israel but reading into the article, think his sight is set on England.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...club-1-4914991

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Seems he has been offered more to return to Israel but reading into the article, think his sight is set on England.

Good read

Many thanks for posting

Looks as though he is happy at Hibs and living in Edinburgh for the short term anyway

Well played Rocky!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    Not a chance of that happening. Let’s just say they don’t get on very well.

Left by mutual consent!

He sat on the subs bench with us half a season so if he wants out while his stock is now high I would bear no grudge. I think he will stay though, he’s settled and I think he will end his career here.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    He sat on the subs bench with us half a season so if he wants out while his stock is now high I would bear no grudge. I think he will stay though, he’s settled and I think he will end his career here.
    Sounds as though Lenny never got on with quite a few folk at Easter Road

I spoke to a few Celtic fans on Sunday who claim to be “itk” and they say that he has upset a few of their players already

They hope he does not get the gig on a full time basis

They want him gone

Looking back though Bogdan did little wrong and injuries played their part in the ER goalkeeping merry go round

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Because Israel have such a poor FIFA ranking, Rocky really needs to be 1st choice keeper for his country and playing almost all their International matches in order to get the waiver needed to play in England.

Right now, he doesnt have enough...........which works for me, I am glad to keep him !

He was injured. Returned to the team very quickly after his injury due to Bogdan being out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He was injured. Returned to the team very quickly after his injury due to Bogdan being out.
    He was injured then came off in a match, was hounded and didn’t get a look in after that. He was fit for a good couple of months even though bogdan was playing injured.

He was injured then came off in a match, was hounded and didn’t get a look in after that. He was fit for a good couple of months even though bogdan was playing injured.