hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

European Football for Hibs?

After today's results Kilmarnock are the team we need to catch for European football

I can't see it happening.

IMO Hibs, Kilmarnock & Aberdeen will all beat poor Hearts.
    IMO none of the teams will take points from Celtic & Rangers.

We would therefore need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

That would see Aberdeen finish on 64 points and Kilmarnock & Hibs on 61 points.
    The last European place would then go to us or Kilmarnock on goal difference given Hearts have no chance of beating Celtic in the cup final.

What are your thoughts/predictions?
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 20-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After today's results Kilmarnock are the team we need to catch for European football

We need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

The last European place would then go to us or Kilmarnock on goal difference given Hearts have no chance of beating Celtic in the cup final.

Hearts won’t lose all their post split games and I think we’ll beat them next week.

Imo hearts will beat Killie or Aberdeen. If we can be within striking distance of Aberdeen going into the last game of the season it would be a great result.

5th. We need a minimum of 12 points to finish 4th i think. I can't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

We would therefore need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

Ask me after tomorrow. If we can take a point off celtic and beat aberdeen we are only 2 back of the Dons with a better gd

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Ask me after tomorrow. If we can take a point off celtic and beat aberdeen we are only 2 back of the Dons with a better gd
    Aberdeen's the last game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    5th. We need a minimum of 12 points to finish 4th i think. I can't see that happening.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but where is this 12 points coming from?

If we look at Killie as the obvious target, assuming we lose tomorrow and say we beat them at rugby park, we only have three points to catch up on them.

Imo it’s likely they will lose to rangers and Celtc. If we beat them then they would need to beat hearts, that’s not a banker at all, as poor as hearts are.

If we beat Killie and Hearts there’s every chance we could catch them, if we beat Aberdeen as well then I think we almost definitely will, if we get the 12 points you’re talking about I suspect there’s a good chance we’ll finish third.

Third is not beyond us...but only just.

Killie and Aberdeen will both drop points and we will beat Aberdeen last game. Celtic and Rangers will beat them too.

3rd on gd.Dont want 4th because you just know if we are Potter will finally get a trophy

Killie played with 10 men for the majority of the match today and were down to 8 players by the end, so I wouldn't say the result tells us a lot about them. I wanted Killie to win because I thought our best chance of Europe was to catch Aberdeen because I think Killie are a better team than them.

IMO the best outcome would be for us to get to the last game of the season against Aberdeen with Europe still possible if we beat them … in all honesty if we lose to Celtic tomorrow I think our chance of Europe is already gone because to make up 6 points on Killie in 4 games would be a hell of a task and even then we are 2 goals worse off on goal difference, so chances are it would have to be 7 points.

Having said all that, the fixtures are tough for everybody so I'm not giving up just yet, as I said if we can get to the last game needing a win what a cracking last day of the season it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Killie played with 10 men for the majority of the match today and were down to 8 players by the end, so I wouldn't say the result tells us a lot about them. I wanted Killie to win because I thought our best chance of Europe was to catch Aberdeen because I think Killie are a better team than them.

IMO the best outcome would be for us to get to the last game of the season against Aberdeen with Europe still possible if we beat them … in all honesty if we lose to Celtic tomorrow I think our chance of Europe is already gone because to make up 6 points on Killie in 4 games would be a hell of a task and even then we are 2 goals worse off on goal difference, so chances are it would have to be 7 points.

Having said all that, the fixtures are tough for everybody so I'm not giving up just yet, as I said if we can get to the last game needing a win what a cracking last day of the season it will be.
    If we’re two goals worse off and catch up six points then our goal difference will almost definitely be better than theres.

I don’t get how we’re out of it if we lose tomorrow. We probably will in all likelihood, if we do then we’re 6 points behind Killie.

Next week we are at home to the worst team in the top 6, I don’t like being cocky before these games but let’s just say the league standings says we should win, Killie are away to Celtic and will probably lose. That’s us at three points behind. Beat Killie and we’re above them on goal difference with three games to play.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I agree with bingo. 9 points should be enough, by beating hearts, Killie, and Aberdeen.

Not an impossible ask. I'd rather Killie had won today and we were chasing Aberdeen though as we play them at home on the final day while Killie have a point to prove against rangers after their spat over tickets.
    Mon the Hibs.

I honestly don't know if we will or won't make it. That's what makes it exciting... and I'm going to enjoy every one of the last five games.

As far as I'm concerned a win tomorrow would be a bonus. Just like last season when we faced them first after the split. We really need to be beating hearts. A draw away to rangers wouldn't be a poor result if we manage to get something out of the Celtic game. Killie away we need to be winning. Aberdeen too. I said I thought we would get 8 points and I still think that. Whether that's enough to finish 4th I don't know that depends on Killie and how they do. They are away to Celtic next week so come next Sunday tea time we could be 4th if all goes to plan.

First Team Regular
    Shame we don’t have Killie next given their three red cards tosay

I know
    Just talking in the grand scheme
    But imagine us v Aberdeen with a euro spot at stake

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    We’re 9pts behind Aberdeen. Point off Celtic and we’re 8pts behind them .
    We need to win three of our last four to get 4th . Aberdeen are too far in front for us to catch them imo. Would love to be proved wrong though 😁
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    If we manage to win tomorrow and then beat Hearts to go into 4th above Kilmarnock...then the following week Hearts are home to Killie, Killie would be an absolute stick on to win if we are above them, Hearts are that obsessed.

Too little too late unfortunately. Needed to beat killie when we drew 0-0.

Its a shame, but not a reflection on hecky. Just need to win a few games in the next 5 to ensure we keep some form of feel good factor.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I honestly don't know if we will or won't make it. That's what makes it exciting... and I'm going to enjoy every one of the last five games.

Way too many ifs buts and mibbaes. Every game (except the infirm one) will impact final positions. Buckle up!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Too little too late unfortunately. Needed to beat killie when we drew 0-0.

Its a shame, but not a reflection on hecky. Just need to win a few games in the next 5 to ensure we keep some form of feel good factor.
    If we Beat Killie we’re only three points behind them with four other games to play and two of Killies are against the old firm. I don’t get how it’s too late to catch them?

That’s working on the assumption we lose tomorrow which isn’t a given.

I think we will end up finishing 5th.
    It's not beyond us clearly but just think it will go that way.
    That however means finishing above Hearts again which considering where we came from when Heckongbottom took over and the fact they won the league in September makes me a happy hibby anyway. 4th I'll be happier, 3rd will see in a 3 day weekend

Testimonial Due
    I think 4th is doable, with victories over Aberdeen and Killie and Same results as Killie in other games. The extra wins will take care of goal differential. Stealing a point or two v Celtic or the orcs, or a Killie stumble v hearts would seal the deal. 3rd largely unattainable without a strange turn of events.

We’ll probably finish 5th and I’d be happy with that considering where we were two months ago. A win tomorrow and that all changes though.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    If we manage to win tomorrow and then beat Hearts to go into 4th above Kilmarnock...then the following week Hearts are home to Killie, Killie would be an absolute stick on to win if we are above them, Hearts are that obsessed.
    If nothing else it'll be good just to rehash the old "you should never want hearts to win" debate.
    Mon the Hibs.

I think outside of the old firm we have the strongest squad for the run in, with Gauld, Johnson, Spector, Whittaker and Agepong about to come in to contention for the first team. I think it will give us the edge over the rest. The only real concern I have for the chase for Europe is keeping Sparky fit. We don't have a ready replacement for him, If we have him for all of the last 5 games I think we will qualify for Europe. I'm optimistic we can anyway.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    I think outside of the old firm we have the strongest squad for the run in, with Gauld, Johnson, Spector, Whittaker and Agepong about to come in to contention for the first team. I think it will give us the edge over the rest. The only real concern I have for the chase for Europe is keeping Sparky fit. We don't have a ready replacement for him, If we have him for all of the last 5 games I think we will qualify for Europe. I'm optimistic we can anyway.
    You paint a much more optimistic picture than those above but I can see your points.

I will be extremely surprised if we get 3rd. It would be unreal really.
    4th would also be superb. I think Celtic will win the cup so that spot will get it.
    4th is much more doable than 3rd.

I’m excited for the games which I am delighted about all things considered.

Fingers crossed for the morn.

i think we will end up 4th. If we do the guy should get manager of the year based on the turn around.

4th place is in our hands now. No reason why we can’t do it.

A result today would put us in a really strong position to go and catch Killie. I don’t think we’ll catch the sheep in third, but fourth is definitely doable.

Killie at Parkhead next week with a depleted squad when Celtic can win the league should see more dropped points from them.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Think we will lose today, Celtic are just too strong and won with ease in the cup match.

Good chance of beating Hearts next week though

Lose away to Rangers, they should have given us a right humping in two of the three matches this season.

A draw at Kilmarnock, very tough to get a result there against a good Killy side.

We are due a win at home v Aberdeen, defensive howlers cost us last time v them at home.

I think we'll pick up 7 points post split.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 21-04-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Think we will lose today, Celtic are just too strong and won with ease in the cup match.

Good chance of beating Hearts next week though

Lose away to Rangers, they should have given us a right humping in two of the three matches this season.

A draw at Kilmarnock, very tough to get a result there against a good Killy side.

We are due a win at home v Aberdeen, defensive howlers cost us last time v them at home.

I think we'll pick up 7 points post split.
    Probably fairly realistic but most likely wouldn't be enough for 4th

If we do it it would be a ridiculous turnaround but I think we're maybe getting ahead of ourselves a wee bit, probably just left ourselves a wee bit too much to do