hibs.net Messageboard

Page 412 of 484 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462 ... LastLast
Results 12,331 to 12,360 of 14514
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like you’ve forgotten about the Petrofac Training Cup already.
    2016 Scottish cup too. Seeing Andy Halliday tell them all to calm down, he has this, broke my heart. Left the stadium and not been able to watch the highlights.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernianinc View Post
    Nope, if you want to bash nepotism that’s fine.

Just seemed you were binning everything Miller achieved for the club because of this particular irk and who he played for.
    Ok, I see (and take) your point.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Rangers, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the point I was making. I retract.

However, this was indeed nepotism at it’s most obvious. If you remember the young chap, Paul Riley, and indeed ever saw him play, you will be aware that he was a far better footballer, with a better attitude, than either of Alex Millers sons but they regularly gained squad places over him.

This was more than coincidence, in my opinion.

Thanks for responding in a pleasant manner, and I hope we now see each other’s viewpoint?

@hibs.net private member Hibernianinc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Rangers, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the point I was making. I retract.

However, this was indeed nepotism at it’s most obvious. If you remember the young chap, Paul Riley, and indeed ever saw him play, you will be aware that he was a far better footballer, with a better attitude, than either of Alex Millers sons but they regularly gained squad places over him.

Thanks for responding in a pleasant manner, and I hope we now see each other’s viewpoint?
    Absolutely, see and agree with where you’re coming from 👍

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’d imagine to get Ryan Kent they’d have to be paying £30k+ for wages to him. Wouldn’t be surprised if Defoe and Morelos would be on similar and I’d suspect a lot of them will be on £20k+.

When you consider the fact their squad is also massive id suspect they’ll be well above the 50% turnover to wages ratio that we always hear about (or something around that percentage anyway?)

Don't know much about the huns financial situation but I think your right about their wages to turnover % being very high, I read an article about it late last season and I'm sure they where up about the 70% mark before this transfer window. (highest in the league by quite a bit if remember correctly.)

Of course I could be talking utter crap and haven't remebered the article correctly. (it's been known to happen.)

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernianinc View Post
    Absolutely, see and agree with where you’re coming from 👍

Can someone explain to me and direct me to information that Scotland doesn’t have financial fair play?

If Scotland doesn’t have it surely they need to introduce it ?

Assumed it was all teams in Euro leagues / team competing in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’d imagine to get Ryan Kent they’d have to be paying £30k+ for wages to him. Wouldn’t be surprised if Defoe and Morelos would be on similar and I’d suspect a lot of them will be on £20k+.

When you consider the fact their squad is also massive id suspect they’ll be well above the 50% turnover to wages ratio that we always hear about (or something around that percentage anyway?)
    Try double that figure for Defoe plus others such as Pena who they are still paying. Betting the Big Hoose on Europe whilst SFA look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Can someone explain to me and direct me to information that Scotland doesn’t have financial fair play?

If Scotland doesn’t have it surely they need to introduce it ?

Assumed it was all teams in Euro leagues / team competing in Europe?
    UEFA has financial play. You need to follow the rules to compete in Europe.

I was speaking to my mate on Saturday (he's a strange half Morton, half Rangers fan) and he's pretty sure King has been scouring the land trying to find wealthy huns who will pledge a million here, a million there to stop 10 in a row.

A lot of money came their way from their Europe run last year but it is easy to forget that there are an awful lot of them out there and they generate a lot of cash and a lot of interest.

Their problem for about 30 years (and seems to be ongoing) is that they have a rip-roaring sense of entitlement that will always see them want to spend more than they have to get the success that they think they deserve when in fact they should really have to live by the same financial realities all other clubs live by.

Anyone who wants Rangers to progress in Europe wants their head examining imo. The continued existence of a bloated Sevco is not a good thing for Scottish football in any way, I don't care about their contribution to any coefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I was speaking to my mate on Saturday (he's a strange half Morton, half Rangers fan) and he's pretty sure King has been scouring the land trying to find wealthy huns who will pledge a million here, a million there to stop 10 in a row.

A lot of money came their way from their Europe run last year but it is easy to forget that there are an awful lot of them out there and they generate a lot of cash and a lot of interest.

Their problem for about 30 years (and seems to be ongoing) is that they have a rip-roaring sense of entitlement that will always see them want to spend more than they have to get the success that they think they deserve when in fact they should really have to live by the same financial realities all other clubs live by.

Anyone who wants Rangers to progress in Europe wants their head examining imo. The continued existence of a bloated Sevco is not a good thing for Scottish football in any way, I don't care about their contribution to any coefficient.
    I'll second the honourable gentleman on that.......

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I agree.

The most enjoyable football period I have known since 1978 has been the period since Rangers died.

Football was crap when old Rangers were around

The last thing we need is a bloated bigoted brand in Govan legitimising antisocial behaviours off the field and doing something "as close to match fixing as you will find" on the field of play

"As close to match fixing as you can get" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19564493
    Last edited by Springbank; 21-08-2019 at 07:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

it certainly was Lucy, had their dad not been AM neither would have kicked a ball for HFC and I don’t think they would have got professional contracts at any club as they were just not good enough. Nepotism - yes, big time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    it certainly was Lucy, had their dad not been AM neither would have kicked a ball for HFC and I don’t think they would have got professional contracts at any club as they were just not good enough. Nepotism - yes, big time.
    Thanks.

I swithered about posting this last night, but thought, why not?

Both Greg and Graeme Miller were a million miles away from being footballers, their dad made sure they got contracts with us and proceeded to make damn sure they got as much ‘appearance money’ as possible.

Dad and sons were regularly seen drinking in Champagne Charlie’s after some of ‘the boys’ cameo appearances for Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Please allow me to third that, Harold.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

It seems reading the last 10 pages that people have forgotten this is a transfer thread.

What relevance has Alex millers sons 😩😩

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Me three - to anyone’s two any day. 👍

Fourth, Doh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    It seems reading the last 10 pages that people have forgotten this is a transfer thread.

There’s ****all happening mate. Sadly.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

There’s no rumours to discuss.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Discuss all the transfer rumours then, go on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Discuss all the transfer rumours then, go on.

Andy Carroll comin' on loan

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    There’s ****all happening mate. Sadly.
    Serious lack of ambition going on at Easter road in my opinion.

Glaringly obvious that the squad is not good enough to compete.

Either there is no money and the reason for that must be explained to season ticket holders.

Or the board are not giving the manager anymore cash given his signings so far not improving the team.

No more signings I’d expect a big fans backlash directed towards the board

@hibs.net private member

Beats puns.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar

Always struggled to tell them apart. Both decidedly average.

One ended up coaching at Hibs.
    One ended up being a relationship manager at RBS.
    One ended up coaching at the The Rangers, or maybe just the Rangers.

Yes I know.
    I said I struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Always struggled to tell them apart. Both decidedly average.

One ended up coaching at Hibs.
    One ended up being a relationship manager at RBS.
    One ended up coaching at the The Rangers, or maybe just the Rangers.

Yes I know.
    I said I struggled.
    Greg Miller was the better player of the 2 brothers and after retiring has spent his working life as a football coach and in banking.
    He has been firmly on the coaching path this decade and is currently Head of the Coaching Academy at Barnsley.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMH0762 View Post
    Andy Carroll comin' on loan
    C’mon at least make semi realistic... He’s no even got a club to be loaned from.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    C’mon at least make semi realistic... He’s no even got a club to be loaned from.
    He signed for Newcastle did he not?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    I embrace excess.... set sights high .

At Newcastle now far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    He signed for Newcastle did he not?
    You're right, he did! Must've missed that with all the excitement on English deadline day

Shocked he managed to pass a medical.

Serious lack of ambition going on at Easter road in my opinion.

Glaringly obvious that the squad is not good enough to compete.

Either there is no money and the reason for that must be explained to season ticket holders.

Or the board are not giving the manager anymore cash given his signings so far not improving the team.

No more signings I’d expect a big fans backlash directed towards the board
    The 2014 shock to the system led to Hibs (led by the newly-incumbent Leanne) treating the transfer market as a means to sporting success, for what felt (to me) like the first time.

Suddenly we were signing footballers who were hungry, talented and on-the-up that would win us stuff

It brought into glaring contrast the churn of squad-filler footballers in the preceding decade (as the incoming signings) that had been invariably cut-price versions of their predecessors (think Brian Kerr for Scott Brown) at a fraction of the money brought in. Dismal stuff in an industry like professional sports.

Things changed so much for the good with LD coming in, and the likes of McGinn, Allan, McGeough, Henderson, Stokes, Ambrose, Boyle, Keatings all coming in. But with the exception of Scott Allan (and perhaps Middleton, and maybe Vela, with the right team around them) this summer has felt like the Bad Old Days of the dismal transfer market. It's like we've given up on ambition.

There will rightly be questions asked of the board at the AGM about strategy - what's the aim, for a club with record receipts incoming, and in a rare two seasons period where the Old Firm may well have their eye off the ball in the domestic cups (as the 9IAR / 10iar bandwagons focus on the league to the point of obsession through the West)
    Last edited by Springbank; 22-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.