hibs.net Messageboard

Page 36 of 484 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 14514
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree but if we had the chance of a better left back than Lewis than we should absolutely bring them in, no room in football for sentiment it’s all about improving

There’s a better left back than Lewis? Ridiculous.

I wanted to see more of Sean Mackie at left back. If he can become the natural understudy to Lewis then we can push the boat out in other areas.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    There’s a better left back than Lewis? Ridiculous.

I wanted to see more of Sean Mackie at left back. If he can become the natural understudy to Lewis then we can push the boat out in other areas.
    Totally agree. I am a huge Lewie Fan, but I like what I have seen of Mackie and if he keeps progressing with Lewie as a mentor, he will be our next Left Back, hopefully for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    Totally agree. I am a huge Lewie Fan, but I like what I have seen of Mackie and if he keeps progressing with Lewie as a mentor, he will be our next Left Back, hopefully for some time.
    Mackie looks like the big, strong athletic type that Heckingbottom wants. I think he's going to become a very good player

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Mackie looks like the big, strong athletic type that Heckingbottom wants. I think he's going to become a very good player
    He’ll need to play to become a good player and, at the moment, I still think he’s a bit behind Lewis.

I thought he had a chance around Christmas time and after the break in January but Lewis was right back in to the team as soon as he was back from injury. Don’t see that changing this season.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He’ll need to play to become a good player and, at the moment, I still think he’s a bit behind Lewis.

I thought he had a chance around Christmas time and after the break in January but Lewis was right back in to the team as soon as he was back from injury. Don’t see that changing this season.
    I would give him a run out in the League Cup and early rounds of Scottish Cup. I am sure Lewie would benefit from a match off here and there. They use the Cups in England to rotate the squad, we should be doing the same in certain positions.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Not seen anything from Mackie to suggest he is strong enough defensively to be our regular left back ...great left peg for sure...but can’t see him becoming a regular ..

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    I would give him a run out in the League Cup and early rounds of Scottish Cup. I am sure Lewie would benefit from a match off here and there. They use the Cups in England to rotate the squad, we should be doing the same in certain positions.
    No issue with that from Lewis’s point of view but don’t think it’s going to do much for Mackie, the odd game against Montrose or that.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    No issue with that from Lewis’s point of view but don’t think it’s going to do much for Mackie, the odd game against Montrose or that.
    For me Mackie is a better player a wee bit further forward than a natural left back

I reckon he has a good shout as a proper left midfielder in an old school four man midfield. Play Mallan right and bring in two proper ball winning centre midfielders to control the game in the centre.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    I reckon he has a good shout as a proper left midfielder in an old school four man midfield. Play Mallan right and bring in two proper ball winning centre midfielders to control the game in the centre.
    Mallan hasn’t got the pace to play right mid

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Mark Milligan’s agent says he’s got offers to stay in Scotland as well as from other clubs in Europe. Be interesting to see where he ends up.

And where is Boyle going to play in your team?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Mallan hasn’t got the pace to play right mid
    Agree if you want a winger.

Beckham played right mid without pace and for me he's a reasonable comparison to Mallan - good passing range and free kicks but could be better defensively.

Right midfield for me isn't a bad match in terms of utilising Mallan's strengths and minimising the exposure of parts of his game that are not as strong.

Agree if you want a winger.

Beckham played right mid without pace and for me he's a reasonable comparison to Mallan - good passing range and free kicks but could be better defensively.

Right midfield for me isn't a bad match in terms of utilising Mallan's strengths and minimising the exposure of parts of his game that are not as strong.
    Actually agree. One of his best games this season was vs Hamilton at home coming from the left.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    And where is Boyle going to play in your team?
    If you were playing him in that team likely in place of Mallan as an out and out winger.

It flags something that I think will be an interesting decision next season about who you play attacking wise.
    If you play Allan, Boyle and Mallan in the same 11 (presumably with a striker) then I think you're either light in the centre of midfield or you don't have a balanced team.

Might change with the right signing but that's where my head's at right now.

Sounds like our chances of getting McNulty just got better.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ulty-1-4933491

If you were playing him in that team likely in place of Mallan as an out and out winger.

It flags something that I think will be an interesting decision next season about who you play attacking wise.
    If you play Allan, Boyle and Mallan in the same 11 (presumably with a striker) then I think you're either light in the centre of midfield or you don't have a balanced team.

I can see us playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with Horgan - Allan - Boyle playing behind a striker (potentially McNulty). The make up of the 2 midfielders behind them is where it gets interesting. Currently we have Mallan and Slivka and looking to get Omeonga back. I not convinced that any 2 out of those 3 work so expect to see some new faces coming in to challenge for those roles.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Promising. Heckingbottom has made it clear he wants his dealings wrapped up early, so here we have two willing clubs and a willing player in the transaction. Just need to find the right strike price. The £1m mark is scary though - I like McNulty and would be delighted to have him back (especially with Scott Allan and Boyle back in the mix next season) but not sure we can break the bank i.e. a £500k bid.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Read that yesterday and wasn't sure how it improved our chances? Reading not looking likely to be loaning him out and would probably want a fee. Not sure we could afford the fee and wages

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Read that yesterday and wasn't sure how it improved our chances? Reading not looking likely to be loaning him out and would probably want a fee. Not sure we could afford the fee and wages
    Wages wont be a problem with him.... Reading are looking for 500k ish... we wont go over 300k. Rightly so. I imagine we will go in low with a sell on clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    I can see us playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with Horgan - Allan - Boyle playing behind a striker (potentially McNulty). The make up of the 2 midfielders behind them is where it gets interesting. Currently we have Mallan and Slivka and looking to get Omeonga back. I not convinced that any 2 out of those 3 work so expect to see some new faces coming in to challenge for those roles.
    If we do go that formation - and I agree it's probably one he's thinking of - then I agree on the midfield.

For me you can't play Mallan as one of those two midfielders. From what I've seen of Slivka I'm not convinced he's good for that system either.

Sorting the centre midfield is, along with the obvious striker issue, the main job in the transfer window.

Always stunned at people doubting Mallan.

Out with the first couple of games for us, mainly in Europe he has played a deeper role in midfield which allows him to get on the ball snd dictate
    play.

He was poor defensively but since Heckinbottom has came in there has been a massive improvement, he also seems stronger and quicker. Last week the Aberdeen winger McLennan (who is a big lad) tried to knock it past him and he out muscled him and won the ball back, would never have seen that before

The only issue is with playing him so deep you’re missing out his main attribute of scoring goals.

I think his long range of passing is what Heckingbottom likes though, he can effortlessly do it and gives us a one on one scenario with winger against fullback that he was recently talking about wanting to get better at

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mallan has been great since Hecky came in. Happy for him to be a first pick next season provided he does some defensive work too.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Mallan has been great since Hecky came in. Happy for him to be a first pick next season provided he does some defensive work too.
    Agreed, I certainly wasn't his biggest fan but think his workrate and strength has improved no end. Also putting in the odd hefty tackle like that against Celtic.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    We will get him on loan for a year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Anyone heard anything about us having spoken to Lewis MacLeod? (ex rangers and brentford)

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Always stunned at people doubting Mallan.

Out with the first couple of games for us, mainly in Europe he has played a deeper role in midfield which allows him to get on the ball snd dictate
    play.

He was poor defensively but since Heckinbottom has came in there has been a massive improvement, he also seems stronger and quicker. Last week the Aberdeen winger McLennan (who is a big lad) tried to knock it past him and he out muscled him and won the ball back, would never have seen that before

The only issue is with playing him so deep you’re missing out his main attribute of scoring goals.

I think his long range of passing is what Heckingbottom likes though, he can effortlessly do it and gives us a one on one scenario with winger against fullback that he was recently talking about wanting to get better at
    FWIW - I like Mallan a lot as a player. I certainly wouldn't say he's terrible defensively but I think it has to be considered in light of the formation.

If we play four attacking players (e.g. Allan, McNulty, Boyle and Horgan) then I think the other two midfielders (assuming a back four) have to be solid.

It's not that Allan and Horgan are shrinking violets and it's not that we have to have two thugs in the centre but I think having one plus Mallan would leave the defence exposed too much against a lot of the teams in the league.

Left by mutual consent!
    FWIW - I like Mallan a lot as a player. I certainly wouldn't say he's terrible defensively but I think it has to be considered in light of the formation.

If we play four attacking players (e.g. Allan, McNulty, Boyle and Horgan) then I think the other two midfielders (assuming a back four) have to be solid.

It's not that Allan and Horgan are shrinking violets and it's not that we have to have two thugs in the centre but I think having one plus Mallan would leave the defence exposed too much against a lot of the teams in the league.
    Good post.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    There must be money available for McNulty if we want him. Remember we took McLaren on a years loan originally with the option of buying him at the end of the season. Obviously it did not work out with him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1 is a very flexible systems which need pace and athleticism, it offers the chance to attack and defend with fluidity and done properly it works perfectly.