hibs.net Messageboard

Page 258 of 484 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 14514
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's our transfer business done, we are f***d! We will be mid to lower table. We will play nice football against the lower teams, probably draw, and lose to the Uglies, Hertz and the Sheepies. We still need at least 2 marquee signings. If our new owners have any ambition, now is the time to show it. Otherwise we are going to play catch up for years!
    I’ll happily bet you £100 to the Hibs Community that we wont be in the lower half of the table.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    If that's our transfer business done, we are f***d! We will be mid to lower table. We will play nice football against the lower teams, probably draw, and lose to the Uglies, Hertz and the Sheepies. We still need at least 2 marquee signings. If our new owners have any ambition, now is the time to show it. Otherwise we are going to play catch up for years!
    Have a day off ffs

After reading page after page of this thread, musing over the merits of the players we have brought in and looking at our last few results I can confidently say I haven't got the first clue how our season is going to pan out.

Everything could click and we might be brilliant, or we have signed a load of duds and we are fooooked …. I haven't seen any of the new guys play and I wont until the Arbroath game, but if anybody who has seen us play recently can come on here and tell me they have seen signs that any of our new signings are going to turn out to be legends in the making I would love to here it, because so far nobody seems very excited by them.

Given Heckingbottom interview I would see possible “change of circumstances” in likely order:-

1. Reading fail to sell McNulty before window closes early August - he is loaned back to us or settle for cut price / McNulty pay off type deal.

2. Kamberi is sold for size-able fee giving us flex for McNulty and say possibly Cummings recruitment

3. Marciano/Slivka is sold and as above gives us flex with no need to find new no 1 goalie (other than more cover) but may need another CM.

4. Omeonga price reduces and we negotiate deal (unlikely given other interested parties)

5. Ron gives us more money for playing squad - unlikely given he will spend a few weeks and months getting to understand the club and has already indicated that we won’t see huge increase in player budget.

Of course if Heckingbottom has poor start to league season then some level of extra recruitment may be required.

And if we get a big injury to a 1st team player we will naturally go out and replace as we have done before.

My prediction? - I see McNulty coming back on loan - scenario 1 and another player on loan (winger) from premier league club before window closes.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think we will challenge the top four. Mid table at best. That is unless we add some proven quality in the attacking areas.

What have you seen?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    What have you seen?
    Bar Allan a bunch of unknowns that up to now haven't set the heather alight. If under cooked at this early stage you normally see if any have a bit about them to get excited.Not much at the minute for me either but sure Hecky knows best.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post
    Bar Allan a bunch of unknowns that up to now haven't set the heather alight. If under cooked at this early stage you normally see if any have a bit about them to get excited.Not much at the minute for me either but sure Hecky knows best.
    Allan wasn't exactly brilliant at Stirling either.

From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think we will challenge the top four. Mid table at best. That is unless we add some proven quality in the attacking areas.
    The slow down in Season ticket sales suggests your not alone in thinking that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    The slow down in Season ticket sales suggests your not alone in thinking that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or maybe 500+ people that made use of the cheap as chips options in FF have now been found out?

I don’t understand the theory that we’re weaker than last season in the slightest. We have brought in 7 players who IMO are all of a good enough standard to play important roles in any matchday squad this season. We lost 11 players in the summer but only 3 of them played any sort of major part in the season and especially under hecky those being Milligan omeonga and mcnulty.

Omeonga has been replaced with Scott Allan both players IMO hecky will see as the main attacking CM on the left of the three and for me Scott Allan wins that duel every day of the week.

Milligan has now been replaced with Vela, vela comes in with a very good reputation and seems a bit of a coup. I liked Milligan and would have happily seen him stay but vela appears to have much more energy which hecky virtually states was the reason he let Milligan go. For me that’s 2-0 to the new signings.

Finally Mark McNulty has been replaced with Doidge, this one for me is 50/50 McNulty came in and done a good job for us, but let’s not forget that for half his loan spell he didn’t score and really wasn’t influencing games at all, he had an excellent start to his loan spell and for what it’s worth I would have taken him back(would still like to). So far I’ve liked what I’ve seen from doidge and think he will score plenty goals from the good delivery Allan mallan can provide from set plays and also Boyle and Horgan from wide areas, he will also offer a very good Ariel threat when we need to get up the park quickly so for me like I said 50/50. I’ll say 3-1 to the new signings in terms of starting 11 players.

Our other recruits in Maxwell, James, Jackson and newell have seen us directly replace bogdan, strengthen our defence along with porteous coming back and newell adding another option wide or also as a centre mid in the Scott Allan role on the left of CM.

Players who have left that haven’t been mentioned, Lewis Allan(1 start and 3/4 sub apps0 goals) Marvin Bartley(big hero but hardly featured) Ross Laidlaw(didn’t feature last season) Thomas Ageypong (11 appearances 1 goal) Miquel Nelom (3 appearances) Johnathon Spector( 1 sub appearance) Gael Bigarama ( 1 sub appearance).

An additional point would also be we have the emergence of Oli Shaw with a full seasons experience and now a proper first team player( like it or not he scored important goals and had a good return last year) Fraser Murray who has been my pick of Pre season and sean Mackie all now first team players with Josh Campbell and Ben Stirling now filling the role of “youngsters”.

I’d imagine come st mirren our starting 11 and bench will look like this,

Marciano
    Gray Hanlon McGregor Mackie
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

Bench: maxwell Jackson James newell shaw kamberi murray.

That’s with Stevenson slivka and porteous out injured.

For me that’s a very strong squad of 21 players with the likes of Whittaker Stirling and Campbell supplementing it and a squad more than capable of finishing top 4

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 72-73 View Post

Fine. But I’m getting bored of folk who haven’t actually seen us play yet this season giving it the full ‘we’re never good enough’.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Fine. But I’m getting bored of folk who haven’t actually seen us play yet this season giving it the full ‘we’re never good enough’.
    People are just basing their opinion on what we’ve seen. It’s only natural, first impressions and all that. Of course the new signings have plenty time to come good, but I don’t think there’s any denying that the first impressions of some haven’t been great.

Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    I don’t understand the theory that we’re weaker than last season in the slightest. We have brought in 7 players who IMO are all of a good enough standard to play important roles in any matchday squad this season. We lost 11 players in the summer but only 3 of them played any sort of major part in the season and especially under hecky those being Milligan omeonga and mcnulty.

Omeonga has been replaced with Scott Allan both players IMO hecky will see as the main attacking CM on the left of the three and for me Scott Allan wins that duel every day of the week.

Milligan has now been replaced with Vela, vela comes in with a very good reputation and seems a bit of a coup. I liked Milligan and would have happily seen him stay but vela appears to have much more energy which hecky virtually states was the reason he let Milligan go. For me that’s 2-0 to the new signings.

Finally Mark McNulty has been replaced with Doidge, this one for me is 50/50 McNulty came in and done a good job for us, but let’s not forget that for half his loan spell he didn’t score and really wasn’t influencing games at all, he had an excellent start to his loan spell and for what it’s worth I would have taken him back(would still like to). So far I’ve liked what I’ve seen from doidge and think he will score plenty goals from the good delivery Allan mallan can provide from set plays and also Boyle and Horgan from wide areas, he will also offer a very good Ariel threat when we need to get up the park quickly so for me like I said 50/50. I’ll say 3-1 to the new signings in terms of starting 11 players.

Our other recruits in Maxwell, James, Jackson and newell have seen us directly replace bogdan, strengthen our defence along with porteous coming back and newell adding another option wide or also as a centre mid in the Scott Allan role on the left of CM.

Players who have left that haven’t been mentioned, Lewis Allan(1 start and 3/4 sub apps0 goals) Marvin Bartley(big hero but hardly featured) Ross Laidlaw(didn’t feature last season) Thomas Ageypong (11 appearances 1 goal) Miquel Nelom (3 appearances) Johnathon Spector( 1 sub appearance) Gael Bigarama ( 1 sub appearance).

An additional point would also be we have the emergence of Oli Shaw with a full seasons experience and now a proper first team player( like it or not he scored important goals and had a good return last year) Fraser Murray who has been my pick of Pre season and sean Mackie all now first team players with Josh Campbell and Ben Stirling now filling the role of “youngsters”.

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

For me that’s a very strong squad of 21 players with the likes of Whittaker Stirling and Campbell supplementing it and a squad more than capable of finishing top 4
    We will have no facts on this thread sir. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    People are just basing their opinion on what we’ve seen. It’s only natural, first impressions and all that. Of course the new signings have plenty time to come good, but I don’t think there’s any denying that the first impressions of some haven’t been great.
    I’d suggest the majority haven’t even seen and are just giving an opinion. There will be 6000 there today but everyone on .net will be sure to tell us how bad players played.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    I am going out on a limb here and say that Hibs will sign a few more players this window.
    I think Hibs will sign at least one more player.

I should also add that I don't think we need much, we're not in the position we've been in in the past where we get to this point 4 or 5 players short.

We need one, maybe two players, and if the one or two are what we're looking for then I'll be very confident as I like a lot of what we have.

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

Great post, I don't think we're far away maybe an energetic all round CM to cover Vela, once we get up and running we should have enough about us. We also have young Gilantes from the Dev side who's a speed merchant by all accounts, had his injury problems last year and given a new big contract, add in Gullan and we have plenty bodies.

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

Fair response.

I don’t think we have a bottom 6 squad but I do feel we still need 1 or 2 who will make the difference against Aberdeen or Hearts at least let alone Celtic or Rangers.

I’m hoping getting players in early and a squad togetherness will give us that little bit extra.

I also would be very surprised if we don’t add at least 1 more player in the next 20 days.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I’d suggest the majority haven’t even seen and are just giving an opinion. There will be 6000 there today but everyone on .net will be sure to tell us how bad players played.

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

FGS how can you be so logical and reasoned in the face of so much bed wetting? You will have "The Incontinents" among us positively gushing in biblical proportions into their super-tenas
    Last edited by hibbyfraelibby; 20-07-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think Hibs will sign at least one more player.

I should also add that I don't think we need much, we're not in the position we've been in in the past where we get to this point 4 or 5 players short.

We need one, maybe two players, and if the one or two are what we're looking for then I'll be very confident as I like a lot of what we have.
    We’re in a better position in terms of numbers than we normally are.

Two goalies who will see themselves as our number one.
    Two right backs and two left backs.
    4 centre halves.
    Attacking midfield and wide players who should all chip in with goals and assists regularly.
    Two strikers who will see themselves as our number nine.

Still think we are short in the middle of the park and very reliant on Vela who I’ve never seen play.

If you compare it to last year when we didn’t know what was happening with McGinn, didn’t get Milligan in until September and never had the the likes of MacLaren and Horgan in until relatively late we should be much more prepared for the season. If we’re crap this year it shouldn’t be down to not being prepared.

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

This 100%.

I think we could do with a bit more balance and options in the defensive midfield role and winger with pace and hopefully a striker.

Last season I think Heck got the best out of a limited team (number of players to choose from). He got them working well and collectively which made us hard to beat. This season I would be looking for that again but with a lot more threat going forward and possession of the ball.

Millgian wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he did provide very good cover in midfield and would win a lot of tackles, interceptions, headers and keep us ticking over. He was also an organiser and I imagine key in getting those around him in position.

Mallan imo has improved massively and is becoming a lot better defensively than folk give him credit for, he also seems to be the one organising others now. My only issue is I think he’s wasted doing that role a bit and would prefer someone who enjoyed the ugly side a bit more than him.

Teams like Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts all have players in the centre of the park who are big and make your life uncomfortable by getting in your face and not giving you a second, they have the wingers and strikers there to win a a game and rely heavily on there organisation.

I would say were the opposite, we have players that are difficult when they’re on the Ball and it’s going well, but I think would be quite easy to overrun.

Im confident Heckingbottom willl get a good system into place however and add new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This 100%.

I think we could do with a bit more balance and options in the defensive midfield role and winger with pace and hopefully a striker.

Last season I think Heck got the best out of a limited team (number of players to choose from). He got them working well and collectively which made us hard to beat. This season I would be looking for that again but with a lot more threat going forward and possession of the ball.

Millgian wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he did provide very good cover in midfield and would win a lot of tackles, interceptions, headers and keep us ticking over. He was also an organiser and I imagine key in getting those around him in position.

Mallan imo has improved massively and is becoming a lot better defensively than folk give him credit for, he also seems to be the one organising others now. My only issue is I think he’s wasted doing that role a bit and would prefer someone who enjoyed the ugly side a bit more than him.

Teams like Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts all have players in the centre of the park who are big and make your life uncomfortable by getting in your face and not giving you a second, they have the wingers and strikers there to win a a game and rely heavily on there organisation.

I would say were the opposite, we have players that are difficult when they’re on the Ball and it’s going well, but I think would be quite easy to overrun.

Im confident Heckingbottom willl get a good system into place however and add new faces.
    I'd imagine we will see at least one more signing late in the window maybe with a Slivka heading for the exit door. Just watched Hecky in Hibs TV and I think he is saying unless something happens then we are done...a lot now depends if if we lose anyone I suppose re Slivka, Flo or Rocky for example.

Or he could just be playing hardball with Genoa and Reading over Omeonga and McNulty - I don't believe either of those deals are dead in water just yet.

What we all need is a positive performance today as been far too much negativity on here in last few weeks.

I'm looking forward to getting back to ER today and hopefully a few goals and a big win for the Hibees - a Joe Newall hat trick would be outstanding after some of the comments about him on here this week :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    4 games in 3 wins and a draw. From tomorrow.
    You cant count the draw if you dont think the season has started yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This 100%.

I totally understand what you’re saying and I also wouldn’t mind another few players coming in, in the positions you mention but won’t panic if we go with what we have.

Aberdeen have replaced shinnie with Bryson who has hardly been fit for derby the last 2 season so that’s still to be seen and they obviously have Ojo but I’d imagine he’s similar to Vela playing style as we were interested in both. They also have lewis Ferguson who I like a lot but after they 3 they have nothing but kids in CM, so I don’t particularly see their CM options as better than ours.

Hearts have been lining up with sean Clare in centre mid with one of their many kids, their other options would be bozanic, Edwards and Harring. Harring for me is a good player in the mould you mention but he’s currently injured again.

Kilmarnock have two good midfielders doing the dirty work in power and sicker but I see them struggling massively this season and will be surprised if they finish top 6. They’ve hardly recruited yet and if Findlay goes then they’ll struggle.

Yes we should focus on ourselves and strengthen as much as possible but let’s not over hype other teams in the process of down crying us(not saying you are I mean in general).

I’m confident we will have a very solid base and will look to press high and win the ball high resulting in dominating the ball(if all goes well)

Marciano
    Mallan vela Allan
    Boyle. Doidge Horgan

Good post mate and makes a lot of sense.

Need to put last week behind us and look ahead positively.

Or maybe 500+ people that made use of the cheap as chips options in FF have now been found out?
    today feels like a big day for PH

he's signed a whole load of lower league english journeymen (shades of 2012)

arbroath destroyed stirling 6-1

yet the journeymen drew 1-1 with stirling and were lucky to do so

it's getting to time we saw something from these guys that shows they are at Hibs level

Testimonial Due
    Top 4 ? You mean cant see us finishing possibly 3rd or 4th ... lets not kid on we challenge 1st or 2nd !!

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    today feels like a big day for PH

he's signed a whole load of lower league english journeymen (shades of 2012)

arbroath destroyed stirling 6-1

yet the journeymen drew 1-1 with stirling and were lucky to do so

it's getting to time we saw something from these guys that shows they are at Hibs level
    In what way are they journeymen?

Vela been at Bolton all his career