hibs.net Messageboard

Page 257 of 484 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,710 of 14514
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's us done Hecky will be gone by Christmas and we'll be rebuilding in January to stave off relegation. We don't have a midfield unit to cope in this league, albeit we have some very good midfielders.

Fortunately I think he's at it.........
    You've lost the nut mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BrebnersBookie View Post
    You've lost the nut mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Possibly.

What midfielders do you play, and where? If you play 2 strikers, which 2 play as a pair? If you play 1 striker, which combination of 3 do you go with? Vela's credentials are good, we all know how good Allan is but what about the rest? Are they top 6 midfielders? What if we get an injury or two there, as often happens with players who play in that position?

It's the most important part of the team, and I'd be surprised if most of the teams in our league aren't in better shape than us in that department.

Our midfield problems were the biggest reason behind us being 8th at Christmas last season and we needed the signings of Omeonga and McNulty to turn our season around.

Hopefully we signs of things starting to come together tomorrow but if anyone thinks we are ready to go into the league season with what we've got, I think they're the one who has lost the nut.

If that's us done Hecky will be gone by Christmas and we'll be rebuilding in January to stave off relegation. We don't have a midfield unit to cope in this league, albeit we have some very good midfielders.

Fortunately I think he's at it.........
    We've lost Bartley, Milligan and (so far) Omeonga from the squad used mostly in midfield in the second half of last season. We've added Allan, Vela and Newell. We also have boyle back who didn't play during that period. Is that weaker?

From that same period when we went 13 games unbeaten we have the same defence plus James and Jackson with Porteous also returning. That's stronger surely?

Up front it's more difficult to tell at the moment as we've replaced McNulty with Doidge so far.

I agree with you that we need at least one more quality midfield player in and another striker but I think you're being a little dramatic with predictions of doom.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    No McNulty or Omeonga unless we sell...

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/0...elder-for-now/

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No McNulty or Omeonga unless we sell...

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/0...elder-for-now/
    Interesting, that final line suggests to me that we're looking elsewhere, rather than we're not looking at all.

Otherwise, surely there'd be no issue with pursuing deals that have a 10% chance of happening? I wonder who's on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    We've lost Bartley, Milligan and (so far) Omeonga from the squad used mostly in midfield in the second half of last season. We've added Allan, Vela and Newell. We also have boyle back who didn't play during that period. Is that weaker?

From that same period when we went 13 games unbeaten we have the same defence plus James and Jackson with Porteous also returning. That's stronger surely?

Up front it's more difficult to tell at the moment as we've replaced McNulty with Doidge so far.

I agree with you that we need at least one more quality midfield player in and another striker but I think you're being a little dramatic with predictions of doom.
    I'm very happy with the defence and goalkeeper.

Strikers are ok.

I just think the midfield looks light (without knowing much about Vela). I don't see much graft, muscle, industry or battle in there. Some tidy footballers yes, but in a physical league I think almost any combination of our current players would be dominated by most of the teams in our league. Even some of the weaker teams have a a few grizzly old pros.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Interesting, that final line suggests to me that we're looking elsewhere, rather than we're not looking at all.

Otherwise, surely there'd be no issue with pursuing deals that have a 10% chance of happening? I wonder who's on the radar.
    "Heckingbottom, who has spoken repeatedly of his desire to bring back loan duo Marc McNulty and Stephane Omeonga, added: "We're done, unless something unforeseen happens."

That was from bbc earlier. I take that, and the latest news, as we're done with those 2 rather than done altogether. I am hoping to see another couple in, midfielder and winger/striker (i think we will sign someone who can play both positions).

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    "Heckingbottom, who has spoken repeatedly of his desire to bring back loan duo Marc McNulty and Stephane Omeonga, added: "We're done, unless something unforeseen happens."

That was from bbc earlier. I take that, and the latest news, as we're done with those 2 rather than done altogether. I am hoping to see another couple in, midfielder and winger/striker (i think we will sign someone who can play both positions).
    Agreed. It was a somewhat strange choice of words, that maybe wilted under the spotlight slightly when the first 'Hibs are done' headlines came out.

The striker is the intriguing one for me, although if the rumours about our interest in Cummings (plus our well reported pursuit of McNulty) are true, then it seems that it's a poacher we're after, rather than an inside forward/winger.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Our interest in Moon surely suggests we are looking to add another attacking player. Keep forgetting Slivka exists as well so he’s still to come back in midfield.

Strikers are ok.

I just think the midfield looks light (without knowing much about Vela). I don't see much graft, muscle, industry or battle in there. Some tidy footballers yes, but in a physical league I think almost any combination of our current players would be dominated by most of the teams in our league. Even some of the weaker teams have a a few grizzly old pros.
    I do agree with you about the balance of the midfield - especially the characteristics you mention.

Hopefully we can add some more of that. I'm sure we will.

🙂

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Maybe Wee Ron has seen the signings so far don’t look up to scratch and Hecky isn’t getting any more money?
    Buzz kill

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Our interest in Moon surely suggests we are looking to add another attacking player. Keep forgetting Slivka exists as well so he’s still to come back in midfield.
    Have we been given a time scale for his return or is it still wait and see? I know the injury came from an inflammation after a bump on international duty, that apparently just got worse with time, but that's all really.

I'm quietly hopeful that Slivka surprises everyone this season by producing his best football more regularly. With it being his third season in Scotland and potentially playing for a new contract or move, it's really make or break for Vyk.

From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think we will challenge the top four. Mid table at best. That is unless we add some proven quality in the attacking areas.

https://youtu.be/3Xa9cdN1yxc the interview where he says we’re done if anyone hasn’t seen it.

FWIW I think he’s at it, he will still want another couple of players in and will he hoping to call other teams bluff (Genona and Reading).

Fully expect another defensive minded midfielder, winger and striker.

A couple will depart I would imagine although I’m not convinced our squad is big enough to allow that. Whittikar is the only one I wouldn’t mind leaving. I wouldn’t get rid of Slivka or Shaw are they’re back up, young and will do a job when called upon.

Slicka gets stuck but always seems to pop up in the big occasion. Shaw is young and has shown he can score goals, he just needs a confidence boost.

We have the making of a good squad, a couple more shrewd acquisitions of quality and in the right areas which make us well balanced will make us look very good imo.

Strikers are ok.

In an attacking sense I think our midfield/wide players could be as good as anything in the league. Allan, Mallan, Horgan and Boyle should all be getting plenty goals and assists. But if there is nobody to tackle and get the ball to them they’ll struggle. We’re very reliant on Vela being a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    https://youtu.be/3Xa9cdN1yxc the interview where he says we’re done if anyone hasn’t seen it.

FWIW I think he’s at it, he will still want another couple of players in and will he hoping to call other teams bluff (Genona and Reading).

Fully expect another defensive minded midfielder, winger and striker.

A couple will depart I would imagine although I’m not convinced our squad is big enough to allow that. Whittikar is the only one I wouldn’t mind leaving. I wouldn’t get rid of Slivka or Shaw are they’re back up, young and will do a job when called upon.

Slicka gets stuck but always seems to pop up in the big occasion. Shaw is young and has shown he can score goals, he just needs a confidence boost.

We have the making of a good squad, a couple more shrewd acquisitions of quality and in the right areas which make us well balanced will make us look very good imo.
    That's the positions id like to see filled. I do think Slivka and Whittaker may be with different teams come the end of the transfer window. That's not me saying I'd like them out its just a gut feeling

So hecky saying we’re missing out on omenonga and mcnulty due to cost. So he’s not happy with squad.

Cmon Ron get the wallet oot

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Cmon Ron get the wallet oot
    Pie in the sky.

Quicker the season starts proper the better. A few wins and this place will go back to 20 people having nice chats.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Quicker the season starts proper the better. A few wins and this place will go back to 20 people having nice chats.
    Well when it starts the summer thread will be gone at the end of Aug at least.

A few wins! How deep into the season are you looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    A few wins! How deep into the season are you looking?
    4 games in 3 wins and a draw. From tomorrow.

4 games in 3 wins and a draw. From tomorrow.
    That would do for starters

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    So hecky saying we’re missing out on omenonga and mcnulty due to cost. So he’s not happy with squad.
    I fully understand that both of those due to circumstances could be way out of our budget but I still don’t think McNulty was that much better than Cummings, who appears to be available. I don’t think Cummings comes close to our better centre forwards over the years but he can score big game goals and winds folk up. We need another striker as relying on Boyle playing there as a back up like last season is totally wrong. The other strikers we have really need to win me over, or Kamberii needs to find his mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

Very good post this and fair

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15 games hecky....tick tock

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Possibly.

What midfielders do you play, and where? If you play 2 strikers, which 2 play as a pair? If you play 1 striker, which combination of 3 do you go with? Vela's credentials are good, we all know how good Allan is but what about the rest? Are they top 6 midfielders? What if we get an injury or two there, as often happens with players who play in that position?

It's the most important part of the team, and I'd be surprised if most of the teams in our league aren't in better shape than us in that department.

Our midfield problems were the biggest reason behind us being 8th at Christmas last season and we needed the signings of Omeonga and McNulty to turn our season around.

Hopefully we signs of things starting to come together tomorrow but if anyone thinks we are ready to go into the league season with what we've got, I think they're the one who has lost the nut.
    Agree with you on this and your subsequent posts about the defence and the forwards. The midfield is a worry. I can't see any way that Mallan and Allan play together.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    If that's our transfer business done, we are f***d! We will be mid to lower table. We will play nice football against the lower teams, probably draw, and lose to the Uglies, Hertz and the Sheepies. We still need at least 2 marquee signings. If our new owners have any ambition, now is the time to show it. Otherwise we are going to play catch up for years!

Testimonial Due
    I am going out on a limb here and say that Hibs will sign a few more players this window.