hibs.net Messageboard

Page 202 of 484 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,060 of 14514
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    who even cares about this guy? Decent player maybe? Relegated from league 1 last year and no league 1 sides take him? Surely if this guy was a stand out in league 1 then would've had a lot of suitors from top end league 1 or even lower end championship. We move on
    It’s the fact that we are going to lose out on a player to a rival who is paying more, whilst we have just cleared our debt but are talking about potentially shelling out more money for infrastructure, that is the source of frustration for some I think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post
    It depends on your perspective. I don't believe throwing silly money at a 28yo 4th division player is playing a blinder.

If we had got him on a free last month that would have been a decent result - still a risk but probably one worth taking.

The press will try to stir it up but it's no dampener to me & I've no interest in their petty headlines. Ultimately the sheep have paid way over the odds & well done to Hibs for stepping away from it.
    They can afford to pay over the odds because they have put a successful team on the park in recent years and reaped the benefits of that via Europe and challenging at the right end of the table.

Now this guy could be rubbish but given we chased him for long enough then I suspect he has something about him so in this case our unwillingness to compete has cost us.

I'm sure we'll get someone else though so we move on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    They can afford to pay over the odds because they have put a successful team on the park in recent years and reaped the benefits of that via Europe and challenging at the right end of the table.

Now this guy could be rubbish but given we chased him for long enough then I suspect he has something about him so in this case our unwillingness to compete has cost us.

They’re in Europe because they invested in the playing squad. Not infrastructure.

And then more infrastructure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Irrespective of turnover I thought they had a new stadium and training centre to finance ??? If we can't match or better Aberdeen for players we want in this situation then surely our short term goal of being 'best of the rest' seem a tad unrealistic no?
    Well we were 2 games away from finishing above them, in 2017/18 so it doesn’t seem that unrealistic to me. We’ll sign more players.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I did too. Unless grey is your thing it really is a dump.
    Did you stay in Northfield? It is not a dump, and it's also one of the sunniest places in Scotland, after Dunbar and Dundee.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They can afford it because the have a guy on the board putting in money. Doesn’t have much to do with being in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    They’re in Europe because they invested in the playing squad. Not infrastructure.

And then more infrastructure.....
    Oh I know...

Clearly EM wasn't as big a draw as extra ££.

We obviously agreed terms with him 2 months ago and then paid the fee after his agent cocked up. Aberdeen offered less than us(I assume why would he originally turn them down) and then went in with more, it can happen. What hecky said in his interview is key, it sounded to me like we could have paid more but we only want players who want to be at hibs and not purely for financial gain as we have a tight squad and anyone only there for money would be an outsider.

Each player has a price that we believe they’re worth in fee and wages and rightly so we will now go down another route “we have plenty others like this” is what hecky said in his interview.

McInnes said the other night they’d had plenty bids accepted for players but couldn’t agree terms etc, will dons fans be raging and assume ojo was a second option like we now will with whatever CM we sign? Probably not. People losing their minds for no reason.

Disappointing not get a player the manager wanted? Yes.
    Season defining or lacking ambition? 100% not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    The infrastructure issue bugs me now in as much as I thought we were now concentrating on the first team and improving it We already have one of the best facilities in the league
    What we need now is a team on the pitch capable of getting into top four and investment in that’
    If we spend more on indoor training facility that deflects from the above and doesn’t produce better players Its scouts who identify young talent and then coaches that can develop them that counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The coaches are telling the Board that they need an indoor facility to help develop these players.

Clubs miss out on targets all the time, sadly it has happened to us now. Man United famously missed out on Robben and Mikel to Chelsea, United won everything in the 5 years after that. We have to find another player, not use this as an excuse and go again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    I dont think losing out on a S****horpe player is going to have a massive effect on season ticket sales. Being abit dramatic
    Hope your right

Quote Originally Posted by Obscene Omeonga View Post
    2 year deal announced tomorrow. Money talks.
    I wouldn’t be too chuffed if we had paid a six figure transfer fee plus chunky wages and no doubt a signing on fee for a guy who had only committed to a two year deal TBH

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Oh I know...

Clearly EM wasn't as big a draw as extra ££.
    He’s no allegiance to Scotland, cash counts, can’t blame him

Let’s move on, see if we can get someone better

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    The guy has shown himself to be nothing but a mercenary if he ends up signing for Aberdeen.

Happy to sign for us and terms agreed as a free agent and we have even stuck with him and coughed up more money due to him and his agent making a balls up of the relegation clause in his contract only to turn around and sign for Aberdeen who probably didn’t know or care he existed until two weeks ago thanks to us.
    Agreed. It seems he didn't want to be here in the first place. I've heard stories of previous signings turning down offers to come to us. I think I read Adam Jackson had offers from the English Championship to come to us. A league where teams have massive budgets compared to us. But, he wanted to come to Hibs. I really don't think Ojo did.

At the end of the day, we may have missed out on a good player who would be an asset to us. On the other hand, we could have got him and he turned out crap. Then Hecky and the board get it tight for wasting massive wages on a dud. Time will tell if the decision not to get into an auction with Aberdeen was the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    They can afford it because the have a guy on the board putting in money. Doesn’t have much to do with being in Europe
    It's not just Europe though is it? 2nd place finishes, good cup runs all help a player make their mind up as well as the dough.

And don't we have 500k now burning a hole in our bank account?

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Have to say this is disappointing. I thought the new ownership would see us outbidding the likes of Aberdeen for our no1 targets. There can be no debating the fact he was our no1 choice , so very frustrating if he signs for the sheep

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Apparently a two year deal being signed with them. Hundred odd grand would have been a lot of money for us for only two years.

We are Aberdeen’s bitches on and off the pitch it seems

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He’s no allegiance to Scotland, cash counts, can’t blame him

Let’s move on, see if we can get someone better
    We'll he's made an agreement to join, on a pretense regarding his previous contract, hibs revived the deal, then he renaged on the previous deal for more money elsewhere. It doesn't point to a great deal of honesty or integrity.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Have to say this is disappointing. I thought the new ownership would see us outbidding the likes of Aberdeen for our no1 targets. There can be no debating the fact he was our no1 choice , so very frustrating if he signs for the sheep
    The new ownership have already confirmed the transfer budget will remain as it was and have made it pretty clear that their focus is the academy and an outdoor pitch at EM.

We have already spent well this summer and will continue to do so, just at a level we are happy with. We won’t be held to ransom.

People seem to be forgetting Aberdeen are getting a new stadium and training facility within the next year.

All of a sudden east mains won’t seem as big a draw for anyone considering us or Aberdeen. In fairness of late I’m not sure there’s been much competition as most if not all have picked Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    We are Aberdeen’s bitches on and off the pitch it seems
    Embarrassingly it seems so.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    We'll he's made an agreement to join, on a pretense regarding his previous contract, hibs revived the deal, then he renaged on the previous deal for more money elsewhere. It doesn't point to a great deal of honesty or integrity.
    Didn’t know that, well rid if that’s the case

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The new ownership have already confirmed the transfer budget will remain as it was and have made it pretty clear that their focus is the academy and an outdoor pitch at EM.

We have already spent well this summer and will continue to do so, just at a level we are happy with. We won’t be held to ransom.
    Yeah exactly.. We are back talking about investing in the infrastructure at the expense of signing our main targets. I feel like we have been here before

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    People seem to be forgetting Aberdeen are getting a new stadium and training facility within the next year.

All of a sudden east mains won’t seem as big a draw for anyone considering us or Aberdeen. In fairness of late I’m not sure there’s been much competition as most if not all have picked Aberdeen.
    Aye, but we've got a big castle.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Can infrastructure play centre mid

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Not really. Hibs were going to get him for nothing. It has now turned into a bidding war. I am sure the agent informed Hibs what Aberdeen were offering expecting us to up our bid. Hibs obviously do not think he is worth any more. Move on to our next target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I get this but unless we have another target or two lined up Aberdeen have played a blinder. Clearly we had invested a lot of time and energy on this guy but it’s certainly putting a dampener on our season preparations and season ticket sales unless of course we can do better
    Seriously, a player most of us have never heard of not signing for us is putting a damper on our season ticket sales? I don't think so. Being stuck with a crap manager like Levein for yet another season is the sort of thing that will inhibit season ticket sales...

Hope he enjoys playing in a city where there's more passion for shinty than football

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Embarrassingly it seems so.
    No it doesn’t. If he’d signed here instead if there i wouldn’t be sitting thinking they were our bitches.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net