hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Car Hire in Spain

I am looking at car hire this September for a fortnight in Seville and am absolutely bemused by the huge number of car hire

companies and the price differences between them for the same type of vehicle.

Then there are the different types of insurance add on's, voluntary excesses ( or not voluntary ) and the fuel policies of full to full

or pot luck with what is left.

Then there are on and off airport sites and so on.

The local Spanish firms appear to be the cheapest but there are so many stories of rip off stories about. Better to stick to the

big names and pay more?

I think I will look in August when prices come down, usually.
    Last edited by pollution; 17-04-2019 at 06:55 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    We flew into Barcelona in February. Like you I wanted to go with a recognised company.

We used Sixt and have no complaints.

Drove up to Andorra for a bit of skiing, no problem taking the car over the border.

Used my Amex and got the free top up insurance thrown in.

J

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I've used Centauro a few times now. From small cars to minibus/people carriers. Always competitive, never pressured in to taking extra's and the cars have always been under a year old.
    If you're concerned about insurance/excess, you can buy a top-up policy here for a few that will cover you for any shortfall should the unthinkable happen.
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 18-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am looking at car hire this September for a fortnight in Seville and am absolutely bemused by the huge number of car hire

Then there are the different types of insurance add on's, voluntary excesses ( or not voluntary ) and the fuel policies of full to full

The local Spanish firms appear to be the cheapest but there are so many stories of rip off stories about. Better to stick to the

big names and pay more?

Car hire prices generally don't get cheaper nearer the time and usually the cheapest way to book, even with the big providers(Avis, Hertz etc), is via a broker. (Auto Europe, Holiday Autos. etc).

Definitely go full to full. The alternative is you've paid for the fuel in advance, so to get value for money you have to take the car back as near empty as possible, which is a pain.

Definitely get full excess insurance, but usually the cheapest way is just to take the basic CDW/TP with Avis/Hertz/whoever. This will leave you with a damage excess of typically 1000 or so. Then buy separate excess insurance. The brokers usually sell this as a daily add-on or you can buy it separately. I've got an annual policy with insurance4carhire.com, this is cheaper after 10 days or so. Make sure you then decline everything you're offered at the airport car hire desk (tell them you've got your own insurance).

Useful tip when you get there (as long as you're not solo) - while others collect your bags, you go ahead to the car hire desks. There's often several others on your flight about to queue at the same desk and they can be annoyingly slow as they try to sell all the extras to everyone.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

big names and pay more?

Tripadvisor Spanish forums are full of horror stories about local firms. Not all of them, but peace of mind is worth a lot more than a few euros off the top

Done it a couple of times in Spain, Once with Hertz all very straight forward and got a brand new car from the airport. Other time a local firm and while didnt get ripped off not as straight forward.