hibs.net Messageboard

Portuguese transfer mission?

Sorry if posted elsewhere but found this and thought I would share. Interesting scouting mission that one....

http://sportwitness.co.uk/hibernian-...ssion-weekend/

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Heard we went to watch a Portuguese giddy, hearts signing him on a pre contract tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry if posted elsewhere but found this and thought I would share. Interesting scouting mission that one....

http://sportwitness.co.uk/hibernian-...ssion-weekend/
    I read also that we had a scout attending a game in Greece at the weekend.
    As did Aberdeen

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I read also that we had a scout attending a game in Greece at the weekend.
    As did Aberdeen
    Harvesting olives before Brexit sends prices soaring.... :)
    Free translation services: Coraçoes e merda
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I am in Lisbon two or three times a year and usually fit in Benfica, Sporting and Belenenses if they are at home.

I think we would struggle to get a Benfica player unless it was someone on the fringes. They are a dominant side in the Primeira Liga, are pretty much guaranteed Champions' League football and draw a massive support who expect them to win every game - for me, they are very similar to Rankgers, There is the same sense of entitlement amongst the fans. Anyways, they are pitching at a level a lot higher than we are.

What makes them more likeable is they have their own equivalent to SOL. The story is some crooner recorded and released a song in the 1950s. The proceeds went to funding their much-needed stadium redevelopment. The song gets belted out before every home game.

Setubal seems far more likely. The teams below Benfica, Sporting and Porto tend to transition quite rapidly and it's not unusual for a team to be fourth one season and facing relegation the next, or vice versa, and Setubal seem to fluctuate. Having said all that, the likes of Benfica carry a big squad and it's quite possible that we could pick up a fringe player.

Portuguese football tends to be very tidy, technically, and the foreign players picked up by clubs tend to be neat, so as to fit in with the style of play.

If we were to get someone from Benfica I would be confident they were a decent level. If it was someone from Setubal then I reckon they would be technically proficient and hopeful that they were one of the stronger players in the team.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I am in Lisbon two or three times a year and usually fit in Benfica, Sporting and Belenenses if they are at home.

I think we would struggle to get a Benfica player unless it was someone on the fringes. They are a dominant side in the Primeira Liga, are pretty much guaranteed Champions' League football and draw a massive support who expect them to win every game - for me, they are very similar to Rankgers, There is the same sense of entitlement amongst the fans. Anyways, they are pitching at a level a lot higher than we are.

What makes them more likeable is they have their own equivalent to SOL. The story is some crooner recorded and released a song in the 1950s. The proceeds went to funding their much-needed stadium redevelopment. The song gets belted out before every home game.

Setubal seems far more likely. The teams below Benfica, Sporting and Porto tend to transition quite rapidly and it's not unusual for a team to be fourth one season and facing relegation the next, or vice versa, and Setubal seem to fluctuate. Having said all that, the likes of Benfica carry a big squad and it's quite possible that we could pick up a fringe player.

Portuguese football tends to be very tidy, technically, and the foreign players picked up by clubs tend to be neat, so as to fit in with the style of play.

If we were to get someone from Benfica I would be confident they were a decent level. If it was someone from Setubal then I reckon they would be technically proficient and hopeful that they were one of the stronger players in the team.
    Good insight, cheers. Is Setubal is one of Gaulds former loan clubs I think? Wonder if when the scouts were looking at Gauld they have seen someone in one of the games he has played and are back for another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Heard we went to watch a Portuguese giddy, hearts signing him on a pre contract tomorrow
    Dylan Bikeyo....

Good insight, cheers. Is Setubal is one of Gaulds former loan clubs I think? Wonder if when the scouts were looking at Gauld they have seen someone in one of the games he has played and are back for another look.
    He did play for them but it was a good couple of years ago now.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Dylan Bikeyo....
    What ever happened to that flump?

Played a handful of games for them on loan. It's entirely possible the recruitment staff spoke with him and got a steer about a teammate.

I think I would prefer the notion of a Benfica fringe player but I struggle to see someone at Benfica seeing a move to Hibs as progress, whether Portuguese or foreign. Harsh but sadly true.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There is an English guy that plays for Benfica B.

A quick google search suggests he is a highly rated youngster however you’d think at 21 if he was going to be big time he’d be playing either for Benfica first team or have moved back to an English club.

Should probably have taken a note of his name, can’t be bothered going back and checking again though.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

A quick google search suggests he is a highly rated youngster however you’d think at 21 if he was going to be big time he’d be playing either for Benfica first team or have moved back to an English club.

Should probably have taken a note of his name, can’t be bothered going back and checking again though.
    Benfica are a strong team and packed full of Portuguese, Serbian and Argentinian caps. The standard is also high, technically. The style of play is neat and tidy.

I think a 21-year old in their B team would be worth a gamble. I suspect they would be playing to a higher level than your average Scottish 21 year-old.

There is a guy called Chris Willock came through Arsenal youths and has played at U20 level for England.
    Not sure if this ties into the game we were scouting though.

Benfica are a strong team and packed full of Portuguese, Serbian and Argentinian caps. The standard is also high, technically. The style of play is neat and tidy.

I think a 21-year old in their B team would be worth a gamble. I suspect they would be playing to a higher level than your average Scottish 21 year-old.
    We sign players all the time we can’t afford though.

We’ve had players on loan from Man City and we signed a player from Juve.

Obviously we can’t compete with Benfica for players they want to keep but if they’ve got someone not getting a look in and wants to leave there’s normally a deal to be had in terms of a loan or the player being released.

I’ve no idea if we’ll sign anyone from them, we probably won’t but not sure I agree with your logic as to why we wouldn’t get anyone from them.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    There is a guy called Chris Willock came through Arsenal youths and has played at U20 level for England.
    Not sure if this ties into the game we were scouting though.
    That’s him.

His brother played for Man United, went abroad before being loaned to St Johnstone and St Mirren.

I love this time of year when I find myself scouring through random players Wikipedia pages investigating some boy that’ll almost definitely never play for us.

That’s him.

His brother played for Man United, went abroad before being loaned to St Johnstone and St Mirren.

I love this time of year when I find myself scouring through random players Wikipedia pages investigating some boy that’ll almost definitely never play for us.
    If we both post interest on him on Twitter the sun should have it as a story tomorrow 😂

We sign players all the time we can’t afford though.

We’ve had players on loan from Man City and we signed a player from Juve.

Obviously we can’t compete with Benfica for players they want to keep but if they’ve got someone not getting a look in and wants to leave there’s normally a deal to be had in terms of a loan or the player being released.

I’ve no idea if we’ll sign anyone from them, we probably won’t but not sure I agree with your logic as to why we wouldn’t get anyone from them.
    I'm not sure I disagree with you but I think my point was that if you are at Benfica, whether first-team, fringes or B team, and you are thinking to move you won't be thinking Hibs.

I get the point about Ageypong and Slivka but I think there is a difference and I think Primeira Liga players will move within Portugal, or at a push go to Spain, it is just the way it is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe it's this guy Hildeberto Pereira? He's had spells at Forrest and Northampton and is currently with Setubal. Right Back/Winger, 23 years old. Looks good on the old youtube highlights.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Dylan Bikeyo....
    Hearts signed him, ruined him and he went back to Stirling Albion and struggled. I’m glad we pretended to be interested in the knowledge they’d go out and sign him because we said we wanted him

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    We also had a scout at Belenenses v Vitoria Guimaraes in January.

Got to admit already looking forward to our summer transfer thread 😀

See there is a rumour amongst Hearts fans that they are signing Curtis Main

That wouldn’t surprise me 😂

Im not sure about Portugal but in Spain it's quite common for players who are around 21 or 22 play for the B teams and are highly rated enough to eventually break into the first team. In Scotland we put too much pressure on young players too quickly rather than let them progress naturally.

I get that we can't afford to keep players that probably won't make it though.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Main and Ikpeazu up front would be hilarious. They’ve got about four league goals between them this season 😂

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Hearts signed him, ruined him and he went back to Stirling Albion and struggled. I’m glad we pretended to be interested in the knowledge they’d go out and sign him because we said we wanted him
    They signed him on amateur contract so they didn’t need to pay any fee, which was due. Think it was in the region of 30k but was to a 3rd Party club who held his registration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps Ryan Gauld is trying to earn a little finders fee for a player he's recommended?
    Last edited by Lendo; 16-04-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Ever taken a game at Estoril? Went to a couple a few years back, they were punching well above their weight given their surroundings. What a hike up there too. I was at a Europa game v Seville and it took the Seville bus about an hour to get to the gates. Great night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Ever taken a game at Estoril? Went to a couple a few years back, they were punching well above their weight given their surroundings. What a hike up there too. I was at a Europa game v Seville and it took the Seville bus about an hour to get to the gates. Great night though.
    Not been to Estoril for football though we almost always go out at least once a trip to Caiscais for lunch and then walk back to Estoril, where there is a beachfront bar we like. Handy for the train back into the city centre too. I’ll look to try and get a match in, next time I’m over

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Not been to Estoril for football though we almost always go out at least once a trip to Caiscais for lunch and then walk back to Estoril, where there is a beachfront bar we like. Handy for the train back into the city centre too. I’ll look to try and get a match in, next time I’m over
    I’d recommend it.

It's school holiday time. One of our scouts was out on the Algarve at his holiday villa with the kids and decided to take in a game but being too tight he requested a Scout's ticket...