hibs.net Messageboard

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A laughable and lazy response. Usually you’re not short on words and I enjoy your posts.

How does a handful of tricolours and a few Erin Gu Bragh at ER compare to the majority endorsement of religious hatred found in the singing and barely disguised official endorsement of religious division at Ibrox( the Orange away strip- contemptible pandering to the loyalist pound).

The hardcore Hearts fans interest in sectarianism, as per the flute band using their name and colours, has no parallel at Hibs. What historical attachment do Hearts fans have to the Red Hand flag? Once again overt displays of sectarianism?

The problem of perpetuating sectarianism partly with people who fail to see where the problem lies and you appear to be one of them.

When did you last here a religious hate based song at Easter Road? In my book it must be 30 years ago.

I genuinely don’t believe Hibs have a prominent group of fans with overt sectarian tendencies. Unfortunately, this is not the case at Ibrox, Celtic Park or Tynecastle.

The situations are different and pretending it is otherwise lends strength to status quo.

You quoted my post and then came up with an argument against it which directly went to the heart of the matter of what I had said when it comes to the perpetuation of sectarianism in this country's football. What did I say? That I was not arguing against the right of Hibs fans to wave Erin go Bragh flags or tricolours and neither was I arguing against the right of Hearts fans to wave union flags … I'm not sure where Ulster flags come into it IMO they cant show any right to wave them, which is why I didn't mention them.

You seem to have entirely missed the pretty obvious point that I was making so I'll reiterate it. The point at issue isn't whether or not fans have a right to wave certain flags, or even a discussion about who does or doesn't have the biggest problem with sectarianism. The point was that if we want to eradicate sectarianism from the terraces then at least as a first step we need to set aside flags and symbols which perpetuate it, no matter how much 'right' we have to wave them and no matter how innocent our intentions when we use them.

Your response to my post was to argue a point that I had already conceded, so if my response to you was lazy then your failure to interpret the case I was making in my post showed that your reading of it was definitely lazy. I cant see where my wish to see the visible symbols which fuel sectarianism, no matter how unintentionally, can in any way be interpreted as giving strength to the status quo as you put it. That only holds water if the argument is about who has a right to do what and a whitabootery discussion regarding who is more sectarian …. that's not the argument I'm making, the argument is about what we can do to eradicate it.

All you did was to indulge in the never ending argument about who can or cant do what and who has or hasn't got the right to fly what flag. That's exactly the attitude which has fuelled sectarianism for decades …. I am not saying you are consciously advocating sectarianism, just that the argument you present has been driving it and will continue to do so unless we change.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 13-04-2019 at 03:35 PM.