hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: McGinn

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dad, now 89, was fortunate to have seen Gordon's debut for Hibs, Vs Hearts!. Over the years he's seen football legends for many clubs but is still adamant Gordon Smith was the best.

His record of winning league titles with 3 different clubs outside the Old Firm will never be equalled.
    636 appearances 303 goals excluding friendlies of which there were many

If you read his excellent biography Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers HIBS were always turning down big money offers from clubs down south especially Matt Busby and Man Utd

His memory goes marching on

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Think Steve Bruce gave an interview alluding to the fact he got McGinn at a relative snip last summer (sub£3m) but only because the strings attached to the deal in terms of add-ons were the most eye-watering he had ever seen in a transfer deal, in all his years.

Sounded to me like good negotiating from the Hibs.

lets hope st.mirren are not part of it

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    Was looking up GS caps awarded after you posting and was a bit surprised to see he won 2 more caps than Waddel in the period he played for Scotland
    It turns out the national team used the Home Internationals as WC qualifiers in this period and played very few games
    Hearing from guys like your father Waddel should not have received a single cap when GS was available.
    A good story, not sure if true.....

Waddell laid on a good cross for Lawrie Reilly to score, boasted to him that it was as good as GS could do. Lawrie said "no, Gordon would make sure the lace was facing away from me!!"

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    lets hope st.mirren are not part of it
    I'm sure whatever happens with McGinn the St Mirren chairman will post on Twitter how he's owed loads of money from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    636 appearances 303 goals excluding friendlies of which there were many

If you read his excellent biography Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers HIBS were always turning down big money offers from clubs down south especially Matt Busby and Man Utd

His memory goes marching on
    Oh the good auld days when you could keep players!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    We were getting crowds of 60,000 back then, I’m told...

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    HIBS released him because they thought he was finished he paid for the op himself and went on to win the League with Hearts and Dundee

Maybe we should start a thread on players we have released too early

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I've been chatting with an auld gadge in my local who's in his 80s and who was a professional footballer in the 1950s when he played with East Fife. This was the peak of his career and East Fife were an established Div1 side at the time I believe.
    Anyway - I inevitably asked him a load of questions - which grounds he'd played at (all the big ones) which teams he'd played against (again any worth mentioning) - and when I asked him who the best he'd played against was, like your family there was no hesitation - Gordon Smith was without question the best player he'd ever been on the same pitch with and by some distance. Even in his 80s I could still pick up a sense of awe in John's voice at just how good Smith was - and this in an age when Scottish football was well thought of throughout the world.

Smith must have been some player and it's a wonder that he only ever picked up a couple of dozen caps if that.
    My father in law, a Gordie, who settled in Dalkeith having married a Scots girl, said the reason he supported Hibs rather than hearts was because of Gordon Smith, the greatest footballer he had ever seen.
    I actually saw him playing for hearts against Ayr Utd at Somerset, remember he bit the bar with a shot from 20/25 yards.
    Last edited by Lago; 15-05-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    A good story, not sure if true.....

Waddell laid on a good cross for Lawrie Reilly to score, boasted to him that it was as good as GS could do. Lawrie said "no, Gordon would make sure the lace was facing away from me!!"
    It’s all in Wikipedia. No need to be not sure

Open main menu
    Wikipedia Search
    Gordon Smith (footballer, born 1924)
    Read in another language
    Watch this page
    Edit
    Gordon Smith (25 May 1924 – 7 August 2004) was a Scottish football player. He is the only player to have won a Scottish league championship with three clubs: Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, and Dundee. Smith also represented Scotland and the Scottish League XI.

During his playing career, Gordon Smith was capped 19 times by Scotland, scoring four goals. Smith was compared with his English contemporaries Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney,[1][5] but he did not appear to have a "big-match temperament".[1] Smith had to compete for selection with Rangers winger Willie Waddell, who was capped 17 times in the same period.[1][3] In addition to his appearances for the national team, Smith appeared 11 times for the Scottish League XI.[6]

Outside football

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    HIBS released him because they thought he was finished he paid for the op himself and went on to win the League with Hearts and Dundee

Maybe we should start a thread on players we have released too early
    Whoever made that decision needed shooting.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Cant see them beating leeds, but, it would be good for us.
    OOPS!...

I don't think mcginn is good enough for the big clubs yet. But if villa go up I would expect them to be fighting to be in the top 10 at least. If they don't go up a move to someone like Everton/Newcastle who's fans love hard working, honest players would be a good move for him.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    It’s all in Wikipedia. No need to be not sure

Open main menu
    Wikipedia Search
    Gordon Smith (footballer, born 1924)
    Read in another language
    Watch this page
    Edit
    Gordon Smith (25 May 1924 – 7 August 2004) was a Scottish football player. He is the only player to have won a Scottish league championship with three clubs: Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, and Dundee. Smith also represented Scotland and the Scottish League XI.

During his playing career, Gordon Smith was capped 19 times by Scotland, scoring four goals. Smith was compared with his English contemporaries Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney,[1][5] but he did not appear to have a "big-match temperament".[1] Smith had to compete for selection with Rangers winger Willie Waddell, who was capped 17 times in the same period.[1][3] In addition to his appearances for the national team, Smith appeared 11 times for the Scottish League XI.[6]

Outside football
    This was well before my time, but if today is anything to go by then I'm willing to bet that if Smith played for Rangers and Waddell played for us, Waddell wouldn't have won a single cap for Scotland and Smith would have about 50.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Remember there were Hibs fans who thought McGeough was the better player between him and McGinn. Shows how good a season he had. Personally Sauzee is still the best player I have seen play for Hibs. McGinn a close second though.
    Can't speak for everyone but I always thought that while McGinn would go on to much bigger things, McGeouch was the more important player for us. McGeouch kept shape, calmness and allowed others to do their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    OOPS!...
    can see them beating Derby strange enough

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Big game for us on Monday (finance-wise).

https://www.footballinsider247.com/p...-surprised-me/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post

It's on the English Bank Holiday Monday 27 May 👍
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

Isn't it a win-win for us? Either Villa get promoted and we get a bonus for that, or Villa stay down and some EPL team throws more money at Villa than they can reasonably refuse for SJM and we get a sell-on bonus? Chances are, we're going to be ahead whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Isn't it a win-win for us? Either Villa get promoted and we get a bonus for that, or Villa stay down and some EPL team throws more money at Villa than they can reasonably refuse for SJM and we get a sell-on bonus? Chances are, we're going to be ahead whatever happens.
    True. But I suspect the sell-on bonus will be bigger. (Just a guess, no inside knowledge.)

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    True. But I suspect the sell-on bonus will be bigger. (Just a guess, no inside knowledge.)
    Do we get both?

Surely the win-win for us would be Villa to be promoted so we get our bonus and then they sell him and we get a cut of any transfer fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    Do we get both?

Surely the win-win for us would be Villa to be promoted so we get our bonus and then they sell him and we get a cut of any transfer fee?

Is that you, Rod?

[QUOTE=Diclonius;5788160]I'm sure whatever happens with McGinn the St Mirren chairman will post on Twitter how he's owed loads of money from it.[/QUOT

So why if they pocketed around £800,000(allegedly) from the initial transfer are they fighting to stave off a play off to avoid relegation. No confirmation by anybody except a random tweet when challenged at a supporters function. Something tells me they will get a nominal fee if we get more money for mcginn. Remember he was heading to the USA and no money for them at one stage. Only the tache knows the full details.

I don’t think St Mirren will be owed anything if John moves on. I also think if he moves to a bigger club and we have a sell on fee attached, that if John was to then move on again we’d not be entitled or due anything.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think you are 100% correct Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I don’t think St Mirren will be owed anything if John moves on. I also think if he moves to a bigger club and we have a sell on fee attached, that if John was to then move on again we’d not be entitled or due anything.
    There's no standard contract so it will all depend on the wording of the agreement we have with St Mirren. Their share could be limited to what we receive from Aston Villa, or it could include a cut of any further transfers which we're entitled to share in.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

If it is worded as any future transfer fee then it will be any transfers involving McGinn

Didn't we get money for Steven Fletchers transfers to both Burnley and Sunderland?
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tynie01011973 View Post
    Didn't we get money for Steven Fletchers transfers to both Burnley and Sunderland?
    We did, and reading St Mirren forums, they think they are due 19% of what we get?
    But really none of us know

I think you are 100% wrong!

St Mirren will be due a percentage of any money we make from the sale of McGinn. Equally we'll be due a percentage of any money Aston Villa gain from a McGinn sale.

If it's true we have a sizeable fee coming if villa are promoted then I'm sure Hecky will have a couple of targets in mind if they do go up. Even if at st mirren get more money for any future mcginn dealings we will benefit enormously. I'll bet Lennon is quietly fuming lawwell would match villas add-ons as he as ready made replacement for Broony. The biscuit tin mentality. Lol.