This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think he’s talking about Sadiki.
    Cheers Bingo, it’s a fast changing thread😄

Apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's quite hard to talk players out of this kind of thing but he needs to ask himself what he's looking for in his career.

If he wants the smartest car possible before his 20th birthday then this is the move for him. If he's wanting to bed into a club, be introduced to first team football when ready and get a move when the time is right then he'd be sensible to stay put. There will be opportunities in our first team over the coming few years.

Earning a good few quid and getting punted out on loan all the time before being freed to attempt to salvage a career in your mid twenties might be the way he wants to go though.
    It’s actually not a bad strategy, sign a 3 year deal for a wad of cash. If it doesn’t work out then there will be plenty SPL teams willing to take a chance on him.
    He may not make the breakthrough at Hibs either
    Don’t blame the laddies for taking the money that’s on offer

Nope you cant blame them and from what I here the money that we pay these young guys is incredibly low and thats the ones that are showing real potential. I get it we cant get anywhere near the bigger English teams, but just wonder how we structure the pay and contracts for the up n coming young guys.

Surely if this guy is being fought over by these English clubs and captaining Scotland at his age group we must also rate him very highly. What has happened here - have we not offered him a contract and been complacent thinking that because he hasnt featured in the top team nobody would come in for him so we could take our time? Or is it simply that we offered and he has turned it down?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Surely if this guy is being fought over by these English clubs and captaining Scotland at his age group we must also rate him very highly. What has happened here - have we not offered him a contract and been complacent thinking that because he hasnt featured in the top team nobody would come in for him so we could take our time? Or is it simply that we offered and he has turned it down?
    None of the above. He’s not been getting a game and he’s not going to get a game anytime soon so he’s looking for opportunities elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    None of the above. He’s not been getting a game and he’s not going to get a game anytime soon so he’s looking for opportunities elsewhere
    It seems a bit strange he is rated at national level and captaining his country at his age group, on the radar of English Premiership teams but not seen as a top prospect by Hibs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Nope you cant blame them and from what I here the money that we pay these young guys is incredibly low and thats the ones that are showing real potential. I get it we cant get anywhere near the bigger English teams, but just wonder how we structure the pay and contracts for the up n coming young guys.
    Given the number of development team prospects leaving for other clubs I would guess you don’t need to trouble yourself too much. Out of interest, what kind of wages are you hearing about?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    It seems a bit strange he is rated at national level and captaining his country at his age group, on the radar of English Premiership teams but not seen as a top prospect by Hibs.
    Agreed

This sounds more like personal issues as to why he's out in the cold. Do we know what type of laddie he is, I know May is quite a tough task master and the reason he gets results.

Is it a bad thing to pay youngsters low wages, to keep them grafting to reach the bigger bucks?

Having someone think they've made it because they're a millionaire without having played a first team game can be counter-productive.

It doesn't do a player any harm to appreciate the good times when they come - and to appreciate how quickly it could all be taken away.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This sounds more like personal issues as to why he's out in the cold. Do we know what type of laddie he is, I know May is quite a tough task master and the reason he gets results.

does he get results? Have we seen any players come through to be first team regulars ? Porteous of course. can't think of any others...perhaps Murray would have if it hadn't been for injuries..

is that the strike rate we would expect after 5 years in role? Hope we have a batch coming through soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is it a bad thing to pay youngsters low wages, to keep them grafting to reach the bigger bucks?

Having someone think they've made it because they're a millionaire without having played a first team game can be counter-productive.

It doesn't do a player any harm to appreciate the good times when they come - and to appreciate how quickly it could all be taken away.
    Not hampered Murray, Porteous and Shaw who have all been given extended deals on bigger wages now they are 1st team squad members.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Don’t think this type of speculation is good JC and my post wasn’t intended to suggest anything of the sort.

The new management team just sees a different path for a few of the younger players than was maybe expected. Nothing more sinister than that

Kane well liked at Hibs and a hard working no nonsense boy. If he goes its a real shame as I think he will be a top player.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    does he get results? Have we seen any players come through to be first team regulars ? Porteous of course. can't think of any others...perhaps Murray would have if it hadn't been for injuries..

is that the strike rate we would expect after 5 years in role? Hope we have a batch coming through soon...
    Shaw? Just how many do you think will come through to make it? Not many teams, even Celtic and Rangers have loads that make it, usually out of a group 3-4 will do well. How many from the McDonagh double winning team went on to have top careers.

Don’t think this type of speculation is good JC and my post wasn’t intended to suggest anything of the sort.

The new management team just sees a different path for a few of the younger players than was maybe expected. Nothing more sinister than that
    👍

I'd heard good things about him so I'm a bit surprised by all this.

@hibs.net private member
    Shaw? Just how many do you think will come through to make it? Not many teams, even Celtic and Rangers have loads that make it, usually out of a group 3-4 will do well. How many from the McDonagh double winning team went on to have top careers.

yeah. I don't see shaw making it - hope I'm wrong..

id say one or two a season breaking through is what we would want..celtic and rangers are harder to break through...they have great record at players making it at other clubs though. I'd say the report card for our academy should read "better than it used to be, but not where we want it to be.."

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Given the number of development team prospects leaving for other clubs I would guess you don’t need to trouble yourself too much. Out of interest, what kind of wages are you hearing about?
    Low Hundreds per week ....!!!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Low Hundreds per week ....!!!
    It’s what I would have guessed. Not bad if you’re 16-17, not great if you’re 19-20. I would imagine these are comparable with most of our peers in Scotland and I doubt bigger wages would make any difference to players making the grade here.

Good luck to the laddie. If he’s not making it here then I’m not too bothered. If he’s another Porteous in the making then I wonder why he’s not been in the squad?

Testimonial Due
    yeah. I don't see shaw making it - hope I'm wrong..

id say one or two a season breaking through is what we would want..celtic and rangers are harder to break through...they have great record at players making it at other clubs though. I'd say the report card for our academy should read "better than it used to be, but not where we want it to be.."
    I agree with you on Shaw, cant see him making it here and also feel we should be seeing more coming through our own ranks.

Celtic have had quite a number through in recent years too, can think of Ralston, Johnston and Henderson this year and Tierney, Ajer?, McGregor & Forrest if you go back the same time period Eddie May has overseen our academy.

Realise that Celtic have better resources and also the luxury of having better players around these youngsters when the do chuck them in but still shows a very good success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    I agree with you on Shaw, cant see him making it here and also feel we should be seeing more coming through our own ranks.

Celtic have had quite a number through in recent years too, can think of Ralston, Johnston and Henderson this year and Tierney, Ajer?, McGregor & Forrest if you go back the same time period Eddie May has overseen our academy.

Realise that Celtic have better resources and also the luxury of having better players around these youngsters when the do chuck them in but still shows a very good success rate.
    Celtic’s academy produces lots of players, just not all for Celtic. But it is a very successful academy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post

Why wont Shaw make it but Ralston is used as an example. Shaw has more goals than Ralston has appearances this season.

Shaw is already making it, really good 3rd striker. 6 league goals this season.

Shaw is doing really well but needs to force his way into the team next season. Has a great goal scoring record at first team level.

A friend of mine works for a large EPL academy. He told me they are considered successful if a couple players get squad numbers per year.

Granted, we're talking top, top level but still, if that's their level of success I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 getting a few first team games a year is considered reasonable success.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    A friend of mine works for a large EPL academy. He told me they are considered successful if a couple players get squad numbers per year.

Granted, we're talking top, top level but still, if that's their level of success I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 getting a few first team games a year is considered reasonable success.
    At our level, it would have to be considered a success - when managers are relying on players to keep them in a job, then they'll try and get good, proven players in as much as possible, so for a youth player to make it into the first team and feature regularly that has to be considered a success.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post

That’s interesting...useful context...

Let’s hope we have a strong crop emerging..