hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Next Scotland Manager

Steve Clarke is favourite his if he wants it not sure if he will take it though

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Clarke’s been offered the job.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    SFA not going for a Yes man?

Scott Gemmil will get it by default.

Left by mutual consent!
    In all honesty, does this really need to be a full-time job? I know Levein was a disaster as Scotland boss (statistically the worst ever IIRC) but I read an interview with him recently where he said he put on two stone due to inactivity and only being able to work with the players for a few days every few months.

Given that club games are put on hold during international breaks, how about a rota system among club bosses for the Scotland games?

Happy to acknowledge my interest in international football is next to non existent but I've long wondered whether a job like this really justifies a full-time salary.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SFA not going for a Yes man?
    Probably know he won’t take it

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Agree, he'll be their yes man.

It won’t matter.

Players / culture / SFA and some awful coaches = will continue to not qualify till they disband the SFA and start afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    In all honesty, does this really need to be a full-time job? I know Levein was a disaster as Scotland boss (statistically the worst ever IIRC) but I read an interview with him recently where he said he put on two stone due to inactivity and only being able to work with the players for a few days every few months.

Given that club games are put on hold during international breaks, how about a rota system among club bosses for the Scotland games?

Happy to acknowledge my interest in international football is next to non existent but I've long wondered whether a job like this really justifies a full-time salary.
    I think the problem there isn't so much that this is a full-time job but the people who would be expected to carry it out as described in your suggestion have demanding, full-time jobs elsewhere.

It used to irk me, for example, when Alex Miller used to go away to carry out commitments with the national side.

Neil Lennon's media commitments didn't concern me, as I knew he had adequate cover in place at Hibs to allow him to do a few hours here and there, but I don't think club managers should be taken away from their jobs for days/ weeks at a time.

It would work part time alongside other jobs though, such as punditry, ambassadorial duties and some coaching.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Was he not saying just recently he wants to get back to English football soon?

Good manager, can’t take to the guy at all though, probably the best man for the job but I won’t be disappointed if we don’t get him.

Blog Entries
    IMO Clarke is by far & away the outstanding candidate. If the SFA give him the structure & the support he needs then I believe he'll take the job. Otherwise it will be Gemmill.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    IMO Clarke is by far & away the outstanding candidate. If the SFA give him the structure & the support he needs then I believe he'll take the job. Otherwise it will be Gemmill.
    I hope there’s some succession planning if Clarke does get it.

I suspect he’ll be away to the first job in England he can get so it would make sense to have Gemmil as his assistant with a view to taking over at a later date.

FWIW I don’t know if I agree that Gemmil will only be appointed to be a yes man. He’s served his time well working through the age groups and appears to have done a good job, international management is a different job to club management and he could be a good choice. He’s also likely to have an interest in the bigger picture in terms of promoting youth players.

I also suspect he’s absolutely desperate for the job and I’m not sure you could say the same about Clarke.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Would be a win-win: Scotland get a good manager, and Kilmarnock go back to being sh*te..

I hope so!!

Who gives a flying f#k.

Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    Who gives a flying f#k.
    I do. If you don't why bother reading the thread.

Can't understand why people post such comments.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I do. If you don't why bother reading the thread.

Can't understand why people post such comments.
    Attention seekers!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Hope you are wrong but suspect you won't be..

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    Who gives a flying f#k.
    Plenty of people.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Was he not saying just recently he wants to get back to English football soon?

Good manager, can’t take to the guy at all though, probably the best man for the job but I won’t be disappointed if we don’t get him.
    If he got the Scotland job he would probably be able to do the job from his English home.He would be in the family house more often than he is at the moment.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I’m genuinely not really fussed who we get as what difference will it make?

Our problems stem much further than who the manager is. We’ve been in this position countless times in the past that I don’t really see what difference this new manager will make. Guardiola or SAF would both struggle themselves if they were appointed, especially with the blazers who are running our game to the ground.

Whoever it is, good luck to him because he’s gonna need it!

Blog Entries
    On the news earlier today, they were talking about the SFA narrowing it down to 3 candidates. To me, you’re not a candidate unless you have applied for or expressed an interest in the job. As far as I know, Clarke and McIness have expressed no interest whatsoever in the job, so how are they candidates? I presume that Gemmil is the only true candidate and may very well be offered the job. It is a disgrace if they try to ‘coerce’ Clarke or McIness into accepting the job, without interviewing them. How do they know they are suitable for the job? Unless of course, they have interviewed them and they are lying through their teeth and feigning no interest in the job.

Chris Coleman been sacked by Chinese club did superb with Wales worth a shout

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    On the news earlier today, they were talking about the SFA narrowing it down to 3 candidates. To me, you’re not a candidate unless you have applied for or expressed an interest in the job. As far as I know, Clarke and McIness have expressed no interest whatsoever in the job, so how are they candidates? I presume that Gemmil is the only true candidate and may very well be offered the job. It is a disgrace if they try to ‘coerce’ Clarke or McIness into accepting the job, without interviewing them. How do they know they are suitable for the job? Unless of course, they have interviewed them and they are lying through their teeth and feigning no interest in the job.
    Coerce? It's head-hunting and it happens all of the time. I haven't applied for a job since 2005, I haven't had that many jobs but I haven't applied for a job since then and have never been unemployed in that time.....

How do we know he is the outstanding candidate ? Who knows who has applied ? Or is the assumptions being made that the SFA are keeping their usual narrow thinking ? Have to admit I wouldn't complain if Clarke got the job, I would igf Gemmil got it though has proved nothing about being a decent manager never mind one that can take this job on ....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    How do you know they haven't expressed an interest?

You're getting worked up for no reason, Jim.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I’m genuinely not really fussed who we get as what difference will it make?

Our problems stem much further than who the manager is. We’ve been in this position countless times in the past that I don’t really see what difference this new manager will make. Guardiola or SAF would both struggle themselves if they were appointed, especially with the blazers who are running our game to the ground.

Whoever it is, good luck to him because he’s gonna need it!
    It will make a big difference.

We have a world class player, several very good players, a good few decent ones and a good manager should get a performance out of a few honest but limited pros making up a solid unit.

We have a bit of time to prepare for a winnable 2 legger against (?) Finland then we're close to qualifying for our first finals in yonks.

The defensive unit against Kazakhstan was shameful, as was the pitiful willingness of players to turn up for international duty - both problems that I think can be pinned on the manager, and things that you wouldn't have to be Pep Guardiola to make a significant improvement upon.
    Last edited by Smartie; 15-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't think Alex Ferguson could turn this Scotland team around. Utter gash.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I don’t think the squad is all that bad (when they are all available for selection). Much better than the squad Northern Ireland have had in recent years and look what they did at the last Euros.

We need a good manager who unites the players and makes them want to play for him and their country again. Clarke is surely the standout candidate.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Don't think Alex Ferguson could turn this Scotland team around. Utter gash.
    Nah, don't buy that. Theres more than enough decent talent in the squad to work with.