hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: throw ins

throw ins

Is it my imagination or have we been practicing throw ins? for years we have been throwing the ball down the line or targeting our players throats with no chance of winning the ball. Now we take plenty of time and lo and behold there seems to be movement as well , not rocket science but well done to to the new coaching staff.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it my imagination or have we been practicing throw ins? for years we have been throwing the ball down the line or targeting our players throats with no chance of winning the ball. Now we take plenty of time and lo and behold there seems to be movement as well , not rocket science but well done to to the new coaching staff.
    On the evidence of the first half, it's your imagination...

Some ones already said the opposite, but aye, there's been a huge improvement.

Goal v livi and first half v killie we only gave the ball away once.

Wasn't too good today, but still improved.

@hibs.net private member
    We are better but still need improvement. Tiny isn't the best place to judge as the pitch is very small and the ball boys and crowd make it impossible to take quick throws. Hearts even have towels for their throwers which I thought was against the rules.

Our set pieces in general have been much better under Heck imo and we are scoring regularly from corners and even throw ins!

Agree about taking plenty of time over them. Disagree about the movement.

The coconut only came on the pitch because SDG needed help with his shy...

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    The coconut only came on the pitch because SDG needed help with his shy...
    Boom boom

First Team Breakthrough
    We are absolutely terrible at throw ins...... I watched hearts when they get throws, we don’t even mark up and we let them throw to their players.... when we throw in, it’s a lottery who they go too.... but who cares today, brilliant result agains the wee team the day.....

Quote Originally Posted by skyhibs View Post
    We are absolutely terrible at throw ins...... I watched hearts when they get throws, we don’t even mark up and we let them throw to their players.... when we throw in, it’s a lottery who they go too.... but who cares today, brilliant result agains the wee team the day.....
    100% agree re throw ins. Its been a bugbear of mine for ages. If the coaching staff are on the ball this area should have been addressed before now. I hasn't improved, both Gray and Stevenson throw it up the line and we invariably lose it. No movement generally especially towards the thrower.

Our problem is that both Lewis and SDG arent quick enough thinking players make the movement or run and by the time they think to do it the second is lost, its got to be done instantly.Its a bit like Lewis's passing he delays instead of playing it when the players makes the initial move or playing into the space a player is going to he waits til they are there and normally standing waiting or the option gets shut down ...a lot more work to be done either that or just get fullbacks that can throw the ball 25 yards all the time 😁

Only problems at throw ins which really annoys me is players standing like statues instead of moving to receive the ball.

Left by mutual consent!
    3 times sir David threw to a hearts player in the first half.

Always hard against them tho as they are giants.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    We are better but still need improvement. Tiny isn't the best place to judge as the pitch is very small and the ball boys and crowd make it impossible to take quick throws. Hearts even have towels for their throwers which I thought was against the rules.

Our set pieces in general have been much better under Heck imo and we are scoring regularly from corners and even throw ins!
    Only against the rules if they refuse to allow Hibs to use them too.
    So all we need to do is ask for the towel and as soon as we are refused, the towels have got to be removed from the side of the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The ball boys armed with towels by Dr Football to hand to their own players for extra purchase on the long aerial throws was silky. Long throws, long punts - no wonder their fans were drifting away long before the end.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Our problem is that both Lewis and SDG arent quick enough thinking players make the movement or run and by the time they think to do it the second is lost, its got to be done instantly.Its a bit like Lewis's passing he delays instead of playing it when the players makes the initial move or playing into the space a player is going to he waits til they are there and normally standing waiting or the option gets shut down ...a lot more work to be done either that or just get fullbacks that can throw the ball 25 yards all the time 😁
    What happened to the Milligan long throws we saw on youtube befour he singed for us.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I can feel myself aging when David Gray gets a throw in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    3 times sir David threw to a hearts player in the first half.

Always hard against them tho as they are giants.
    I counted six then stopped. I agree there is definitely more movement now but the thrower has to be quicker to take advantage.

It's something they need to work on, as has been the case for decades.

Unless it's a quick throw, the defence will be organised and potential recipients marked, so the ball has the be thrown to a spot which the recipient is moving to rather than already at. A static recipient is easy to defend.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.