hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

The Tynecastle conundrum

Now that it's nearing twelve hours until kickoff, it's time to think about how the game is going to go.

This is a ground that we haven't won at in almost six years, and this is by no means against particularly good Hearts teams. We couldn't beat them when they were in administraton. The 2016 cup winners weren't able to secure a win there. During our run of nine games in a row, all the Tynecastle results were draws. Our amazing all-conquering run last season was ended by a defeat there. Even Neil Lennon couldn't beat an Ian ****ing Cathro team there. On a personal level, I have a horrendous record at Tynecastle. I've seen us win twice in nineteen games and score eight goals. EIGHT. The majority of my Hearts away experiences are watching the ball bounce everywhere, anywhere, but the Hearts goal, where it either sails over harmlessly or somehow defies the laws of physics to not enter the net.

If we fail to win this weekend then that makes it eleven games without a win there, so the big question is; how do we turn this around and can we expect that to happen tomorrow? Hearts are just above us in the league, but they've been underperforming lately and we've massively reduced the gap between the two teams albeit mostly against teams that are now in the bottom six. We have the form, they have the record.

Why have previous managers there failed? Fenlon's tenure was defined by his (extremely poor) record against Hearts, albeit he did manage to secure our last win there amidst a sea of defeats to nil (and one 0-0). Butcher had one insipid defeat to a team of kids during our slide to relegation. Stubbs was very unlucky - we took the game to them and combined this with a steel in midfield many sides didn't have before. We arguably outperformed them in all three of his games and of course there's the famous 2-2. Lennon's approach was to match them in anti-football, which got us three 0-0s and two defeats.

How should Hecky go about this? To be honest, I think the style of play we've grown accustomed to probably has the best shot - close them down quickly, win the ball in midfield and break with pace. There's no point trying to outmuscle them as they'll always win that battle, but we have a team who can compete in the middle of the park to an extent. I've been impressed by how he's talked about the derby in the past week, with all signs suggesting he's looking forward to this game and knows how to approach it.

So what do we think is going to happen? I've noticed a far more measured approach on the board here compared to last time, when many were confident we were going to "pump them" and were "due a win". Unfortunately being "due" a win doesn't make it any more likely as much as we might want it to. But I certainly feel slightly more confident than I usually do going to that godforsaken ground, though I'm sure that'll end when the whistle goes and the nerves kick in. I reckon it'll be a tight game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Hopefully to us.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 05-04-2019 at 07:24 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Do what Stubbs did, essentially.

But we also weren't smart enough at the back even in his games.

Stevenson with the worst defensive clearance of a header I have ever seen, it falls to Djoum and he thunders the ball in.

Nobody picking up Nicholson for the second, Paterson swings a long ball in and he buries it.

As good as the comeback was, we made it very difficult for ourselves with ***** defending. Keep it tight at the back and make it count when we have the ball. None of this anti-football Lennon stuff. It's been embarrassing hearing Hibs fans go "hoof" when Hearts do it, only for us to do it five seconds later.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    We wouldn’t be talking about this had certain officials not cheated us.

hear7s are a horrible football team and do everything to pull their opponents down to their level. They've thrived on doing it in derbies for decades

We need to match them physically before we can get the better of them by playing football, rarely do you see an open entertaining Derby but when you do, more often than not Hibs will come out the winners
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We wouldn’t be talking about this had certain officials not cheated us.
    Agree three come to mind Oli goal, Stevenson not being sent off in first half by Collum two footer on Mcpake, Forster offside probably worst decision ever.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree three come to mind Oli goal, Stevenson not being sent off in first half by Collum two footer on Mcpake, Forster offside probably worst decision ever.
    We’re due a break

I think Heckingbottom has kept things pretty simple most of the time and I don’t think that’ll really change tomorrow.

Omeonga showed against Malumbu the other night that you don’t need to be 6ft to compete. I hope we just remember about the football this time.

@hibs.net private member
    We haven't got the players Stubbs had but we should try to have a similar approach. Milligan can sit and protect but I want Horgan, Omeonga and Mallan buzzing around playing short passes and thinking forward not sideways. We need to win now to have a chance of Europe so a draw isn't really worth much. Take the game to them and play on the deck as much as we can.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    We haven't got the players Stubbs had but we should try to have a similar approach. Milligan can sit and protect but I want Horgan, Omeonga and Mallan buzzing around playing short passes and thinking forward not sideways. We need to win now to have a chance of Europe so a draw isn't really worth much. Take the game to them and play on the deck as much as we can.
    Yepp. This is the same for me. Do not resort to hoofball as Lennon did.

Yeah Lennon tried to beat them at their own game. We should play the way we want and try and get running at their defence

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Now that it's nearing twelve hours until kickoff, it's time to think about how the game is going to go.

This is a ground that we haven't won at in almost six years, and this is by no means against particularly good Hearts teams. We couldn't beat them when they were in administraton. The 2016 cup winners weren't able to secure a win there. During our run of nine games in a row, all the Tynecastle results were draws. Our amazing all-conquering run last season was ended by a defeat there. Even Neil Lennon couldn't beat an Ian ****ing Cathro team there. On a personal level, I have a horrendous record at Tynecastle. I've seen us win twice in nineteen games and score eight goals. EIGHT. The majority of my Hearts away experiences are watching the ball bounce everywhere, anywhere, but the Hearts goal, where it either sails over harmlessly or somehow defies the laws of physics to not enter the net.

If we fail to win this weekend then that makes it eleven games without a win there, so the big question is; how do we turn this around and can we expect that to happen tomorrow? Hearts are just above us in the league, but they've been underperforming lately and we've massively reduced the gap between the two teams albeit mostly against teams that are now in the bottom six. We have the form, they have the record.

Why have previous managers there failed? Fenlon's tenure was defined by his (extremely poor) record against Hearts, albeit he did manage to secure our last win there amidst a sea of defeats to nil (and one 0-0). Butcher had one insipid defeat to a team of kids during our slide to relegation. Stubbs was very unlucky - we took the game to them and combined this with a steel in midfield many sides didn't have before. We arguably outperformed them in all three of his games and of course there's the famous 2-2. Lennon's approach was to match them in anti-football, which got us three 0-0s and two defeats.

How should Hecky go about this? To be honest, I think the style of play we've grown accustomed to probably has the best shot - close them down quickly, win the ball in midfield and break with pace. There's no point trying to outmuscle them as they'll always win that battle, but we have a team who can compete in the middle of the park to an extent. I've been impressed by how he's talked about the derby in the past week, with all signs suggesting he's looking forward to this game and knows how to approach it.

So what do we think is going to happen? I've noticed a far more measured approach on the board here compared to last time, when many were confident we were going to "pump them" and were "due a win". Unfortunately being "due" a win doesn't make it any more likely as much as we might want it to. But I certainly feel slightly more confident than I usually do going to that godforsaken ground, though I'm sure that'll end when the whistle goes and the nerves kick in. I reckon it'll be a tight game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Hopefully to us.
    2-0 down at the PBS and looking at 115 . Well worth the six years of no wins there . We score and don’t even get the goal ( Olly ) It’s hard to play 11 asides on a basketball court/pitch .
    3-0 for us tomorrow,same as the Millennium derby 🤘🇳🇬
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    True, but we rarely perform there, whilst Hearts play like their lives depend on it. Our record at Tynecastle is poor. As always, we will need to match them for intensity; that's the key at Tiny.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    It’s true that they’ve got a crap five a side sized pitch which affords absolutely no space or time on the ball. That doesn’t explain our terrible record there when countless other visiting teams, and not just the old firm either, manage to win at Tynecastle

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    It’s true that they’ve got a crap five a side sized pitch which affords absolutely no space or time on the ball. That doesn’t explain our terrible record there when countless other visiting teams, and not just the old firm either, manage to win at Tynecastle
    Their raise their game when we visit, often looking a completely different team. We have to be expect that and be ready to match them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    True, but we rarely perform there, whilst Hearts play like their lives depend on it. Our record at Tynecastle is poor. As always, we will need to match them for intensity; that's the key at Tiny.
    The vast majority of the games have been very tight with the majority draws. Thought we were going to win the last one there until Flo got sent off. Need to be brave and as someone says we are more than due a break of the ball though you need to earn that. Quietly confident for tomorrow and think mcnulty will be a big player. Get the first goal and they will panic.

@hibs.net private member
    Hecky’s stock is on the up, Levein not so much.

I like the fact that if we beat them he (Levein) will be under immense pressure to leave but we will see it as a work in progress as we are moving forward under Hecky. Levein is an anchor persistently dragging them down.

It’s an uncomfortable truth for them but their results against us define them, it’s why Neilson got his jotters.

No doubt a terrible game but “I would love it if we beat them”.

some seem to forget, that the gorgie mob go out there with a particular mindset which is inbred. don't loose to Hibs. that has worked over the years. Dear Paul...….tell the Hibernian players to go out with a real plan to come home with 3 points please. nothing else is good. signed, anon

Their whole team is built around playing at Tinycastle. They need to be physical, close players down and lump it into the box at every possible opportunity on that wee pitch. They have always had the long throw experts to make sure they can do it from throw ins too. It doesn’t work on bigger pitches and they need to be aggressive for it to work at Tinycastle. When they play us they always get fired up. We need to handle that, stay focused, tight and take our chances.

We have to take the game to them and not get dragged into a war of attrition as that’s what they want to make their Tiny tactics work.

Left by mutual consent!
    A small crap five a side sized pitch they shouldn't now have as they *****ed millions upon millions of pounds on players they couldn't afford during criminal romanov's reign of which the sfa knew and refused to act upon!

They should have been liquidated.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    It'll be long balls from Berra up to the striker. Levein just doesn't change. I'd like to see us swarm their defence. Run at them. Too often lately we change our play there and it doesn't suit.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Hearts will be closing us down at the back not giving us any time to pass it about which usually results in us hoofing it forward for the hearts defence to mop up easily. We need to take chances today and try keep the ball on the deck.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    Hecky’s stock is on the up, Levein not so much.

I like the fact that if we beat them he (Levein) will be under immense pressure to leave but we will see it as a work in progress as we are moving forward under Hecky. Levein is an anchor persistently dragging them down.

It’s an uncomfortable truth for them but their results against us define them, it’s why Neilson got his jotters.

No doubt a terrible game but “I would love it if we beat them”.
    Completely bizarre mentality they have. Neilson had them 2nd in League when he left.

I always want to win against that lot, but if we were losing/drawing Derbies and sitting 2nd in the league I'd take that and certainly wouldn't be calling for the manager to get his jotters.

They are a weird bunch.

Be competitive all over the park but don't forget we are a footballing team, get the ball down and play football. Unfortunately the game will be played at 100mph as usual, we need composure and belief.

First Team Breakthrough Green Cabbage 7's Avatar
    Got to win the individual battle first, hunt in packs and get the second ball. It all has to be high tempo, they don’t allow us to settle!

Run at them. Draw fouls and shoot on sight.

It’s time we scored a raker to win this from 25-30yds.

Feel free to re-post this later! :D

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Be competitive all over the park but don't forget we are a footballing team, get the ball down and play football. Unfortunately the game will be played at 100mph as usual, we need composure and belief.
    It can be hard to play on that small pitch, as there isn't any room. We will have to move the ball quickly today, in order to create space. If we can do that, our better technique should become apparent.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I find it hard to add anything to the pre derby cliches already posted on this one

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Couldn't agree more....pressure is off us a wee bit now top 6 is secured and it's pretty much win or bust as far as Europe is concerned so just go for it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Run at them. Draw fouls and shoot on sight.

It’s time we scored a raker to win this from 25-30yds.

Feel free to re-post this later! :D
    We certainty have the man for the job in Stevie Mallan

It’s a few yards smaller than Easter road.