hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In what world is it disrespectful to say that the current manager is doing much, much better than the last one?

If someone says that PH is the best manager in their lifetime, would that be disrespectful too?

Folk said that about Neil Lennon so they must have been comparing him to his predecessors. I didn't see you complain about that, but maybe you did and I just misinterpreted your words.

If you want to define hecky by comparing him to our previous manager that's fine but at some point that has to become disrespectful IMO.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 30-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    In what world is it disrespectful to say that the current manager is doing much, much better than the last one?

If someone says that PH is the best manager in their lifetime, would that be disrespectful too?

Folk said that about Neil Lennon so they must have been comparing him to his predecessors. I didn't see you complain about that, but maybe you did and I just misinterpreted your words.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    If you want to define hecky by comparing him to our previous manager that's fine but at some point that has to become disrespectful IMO.
    What do we use to define him then? If we don’t use comparisons then how do you know he’s doing well? We’d all be happy with finishing 4th because that would be a very good season, defined by using other seasons comparatively. If we didn’t use they comparisons then we could conceivably sack PH for not winning the league.

Comparisons help to put the performance and achievements of our players and managers into perspective. You’re going to be awful disappointed if you think that people are going to stop comparing things due to it somehow being disrespectful

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I hope he’s even more successful
    Yip me too.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What do we use to define him then? If we don’t use comparisons then how do you know he’s doing well? We’d all be happy with finishing 4th because that would be a very good season, defined by using other seasons comparatively. If we didn’t use they comparisons then we could conceivably sack PH for not winning the league.

Comparisons help to put the performance and achievements of our players and managers into perspective. You’re going to be awful disappointed if you think that people are going to stop comparing things due to it somehow being disrespectful
    I could give you about 100 ways to define a managers success other than using direct comparison., That to me is just a lazy way of judging someone.

I could give you about 100 ways to define a managers success others than using direct comparison.
    Go for it. I bet all the measures of success have most likely been drawn up by comparisons.

Go for it. I bet all the measures of success have most likely been drawn up by comparisons.
    You seriously can't be suggestion that only way of defining success is by using direct comparison? That means who ever who took over from butcher was a success regardless of how good they where as an individual, you could have put me in charge.

You seriously can't be suggestion that only way of defining success is by using direct comparison? That means who ever who took over from butcher was a success regardless of how good they where as an individual, you could have put me in charge.
    Should we be winning the league? No, because we have a much smaller budget (comparison) than Celtic and Rangers. And because Celtic have better players (comparison)

Should we be finishing above St J? Yes because we have a much bigger budget (comparison) and much better players (comparison)

Is 4th a successful season? Yes because we very rarely finish that high (comparison)

Would 10th place be a bad season? Yes, because we have a budget streets ahead of over half the league (comparison)

Should we be getting to Europa League groups? Probably not, because the teams we play in qualifiers have much bigger budgets and better players (comparison) and sometimes are halfway through their season so are more match sharp than us (comparison)

I’m interested as to what you’d use to define a managers success if it’s not by using any forms of comparison?

Should we be winning the league? No, because we have a much smaller budget (comparison) than Celtic and Rangers. And because Celtic have better players (comparison)

Should we be finishing above St J? Yes because we have a much bigger budget (comparison) and much better players (comparison)

Is 4th a successful season? Yes because we very rarely finish that high (comparison)

Would 10th place be a bad season? Yes, because we have a budget streets ahead of over half the league (comparison)

Should we be getting to Europa League groups? Probably not, because the teams we play in qualifiers have much bigger budgets and better players (comparison) and sometimes are halfway through their season so are more match sharp than us (comparison)

I’m interested as to what you’d use to define a managers success if it’s not by using any forms of comparison?
    I base the success of a manger on them meeting their objectives regardless of anyone who was in the role previous.

I base the success of a manger on them meeting their objectives regardless of anyone who was in the role previous.
    Which will have been drawn up based on a comparison of what went on before them.

Which will have been drawn up based on a comparison of what went on before them.
    No it wouldn't it's not as binary as that, circumstances change, ambitions change, expectations change based on a whole range of factors.

I started this thread in praise of our current manager, let's not keep looking back, let's look forward to what we can achieve with PH at the helm.

Why does it bother you so much? Its entirely sensible to rate a manager based on the previous manager. It would be weird not to .

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I see the Lennon FC weirdos are back out in force again today.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I see the Lennon FC weirdos are back out in force again today.
    Where?

Fair enough.

So you'd agree that a manager who had us finish fourth was successful, one who is on course for a top six finish is successful and a manager who looked liked having us miss the top six is unsuccessful?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    I started this thread in praise of our current manager, let's not keep looking back, let's look forward to what we can achieve with PH at the helm.
    Here Here!

Looking forward to seeing what kind of players he wants to get in next season, what positions he wants to strengthen and what his favoured formation/formations will be

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what kind of players he wants to get in next season, what positions he wants to strengthen and what his favoured formation/formations will be
    It will be interesting as you say, what he’ll be looking at for next season!
    Celtic are a class above, Rangers I don’t what to make of, but the teams above us at the moment, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hearts are all big physical teams, all over the park
    Wonder what PB and our recruitment team are thinking, looking ahead to the next window

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    it's very natural to compare the two at the moment, because they have pretty much the exact same squad at their disposal - even taking mcnulty out of the equation, flo, horgan, milligan and slivka have been different players since PH took over.

with that said, there's no point on dwelling on or even spending much time thinking about lennon, because whether we liked him/rated him or not, we all know that such a conversation tends to only go one way, that of squabbling. the fact is lennon gave us a brilliant season last year, and for that we can be grateful, but it seemed like he and the club parting ways at the time in question has worked out well for everyone, so we might as well leave it for now and enjoy what we have at present, which is very, exciting.

i love how hecky goes about his business. hibs seem to be playing a very crisp passing game at times, which is a joy to watch, and i can't wait to see how our young players develop under him.