hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Impeachment is high risk. Lose that and he actually gets a bounce. They don't have the votes to win it just now but they might later, depending upon what comes out that is not yet public knowledge.

Far better to turn this in to a long term dripping roast, using the un-redacted version of the report to purse a whole series of mini inquiries designed to nail his reputation.

As for criminal convictions, there are two targets. Trump after he leaves office and his sons, son-in-law and closest aides while he is in office. If those 14 other investigations pull any or all of those into court it is effectively the same as putting him on trial.

Mueller's report effectively says that it isn't his job to prosecute Trump and that he has neither a) the evidence to prove collusion nor b) the ability after all that has been investigated to say that he should be exonerated. What it also effectively says is 'here's a whole litany of dodgy things - including obstruction of justice - which either should be, or in many cases already are, being investigated by other agencies which do have both the power and the responsibility to prosecute.

Informed commentators suggest that Trump's real fear throughout all of this was not that he would be found guilty of collusion with the Russians, but that the investigation into that would open up every other can of worms that he knows is out there in his past and ongoing business life and which could lead to prosecution - or worse still in his world - business/commercial failure.

This isn't going away for him, ever. One way or another he will be finished by all this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Impeachment is high risk. Lose that and he actually gets a bounce. They don't have the votes to win it just now but they might later, depending upon what comes out that is not yet public knowledge.

Far better to turn this in to a long term dripping roast, using the un-redacted version of the report to purse a whole series of mini inquiries designed to nail his reputation.

As for criminal convictions, there are two targets. Trump after he leaves office and his sons, son-in-law and closest aides while he is in office. If those 14 other investigations pull any or all of those into court it is effectively the same as putting him on trial.

Mueller's report effectively says that it isn't his job to prosecute Trump and that he has neither a) the evidence to prove collusion nor b) the ability after all that has been investigated to say that he should be exonerated. What it also effectively says is 'here's a whole litany of dodgy things - including obstruction of justice - which either should be, or in many cases already are, being investigated by other agencies which do have both the power and the responsibility to prosecute.

Informed commentators suggest that Trump's real fear throughout all of this was not that he would be found guilty of collusion with the Russians, but that the investigation into that would open up every other can of worms that he knows is out there in his past and ongoing business life and which could lead to prosecution - or worse still in his world - business/commercial failure.

This isn't going away for him, ever. One way or another he will be finished by all this.
    Yes, absolutely agree with all that.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Hmmm, not sure about that. I imagine they want to get as much of the story out as they can but in as non-partisan a way as they can, if that's possible. There's no point in the formal impeachment process as they can't win*. So Trump will claim exoneration and as we've seen countless times, he has the brass neck to just keep going with that in the face of all evidence.

I'm not sure what can happen to him when he's no longer pres?

* unless it somehow became a Republican led process. He has plenty of internal enemies so I suppose is possible.
    When he is no longer pres then the SDNY and other agencies can go after him full tilt. It would not surprise me if it brings down his whole organisation. Mueller and Congress are amassing a lot of evidence that canít be used just now but Iím pretty sure there will be no shortage of prosecutors willing to go after him once he no longer has the protection of the presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Hmmm, not sure about that. I imagine they want to get as much of the story out as they can but in as non-partisan a way as they can, if that's possible. There's no point in the formal impeachment process as they can't win*. So Trump will claim exoneration and as we've seen countless times, he has the brass neck to just keep going with that in the face of all evidence.

I'm not sure what can happen to him when he's no longer pres?

* unless it somehow became a Republican led process. He has plenty of internal enemies so I suppose is possible.
    When he's ex-pres he becomes an ordinary citizen and open to prosecution... Albeit still called 'Mr President'
    Edit
    Apologies. Missed the explanation above
    Last edited by Jack Hackett; 23-04-2019 at 12:14 PM.