hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: security lights

security lights

I'm looking for a couple of external security lights for the back garden. ideally not bank breaking and I don't need to wire in, so solar?

any advice and pro and cons?

additionally does anyone have any idea about decent cctv that won't break the bank? are they recording door bell style any good?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just Jimmy; 25-03-2019 at 12:47 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have a ring doorbell and spotlight cam at the back.

Really good but you do need decent WiFi especially with the cam,our bell is hard wired using the existing bell wiring the cam is battery which usually lasts a couple of months between charge.

We had an attempted break in a year ago that’s why I got it all motion alerts get sent to your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking for a couple of external security lights for the back garden. ideally not bank breaking and I don't need to wire in, so solar?

any advice and pro and cons?

additionally does anyone have any idea about decent cctv that won't break the bank? are they recording door bell style any good?
    Hi Leeann, thanks for posting.

I got this at the end of last year = https://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/pro...ht-804-78.html

It was on offer when I got it so paid £20 I think. I've been really happy with it. Easy to install and a good level of brightness. The only criticism I can think of is that, when we had folk round and the smokers were outside, the charge drained quite quickly as it was in constant use. If you only need it as a security light though, that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Hi Leeann, thanks for posting.

I got this at the end of last year = https://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/pro...ht-804-78.html

It was on offer when I got it so paid £20 I think. I've been really happy with it. Easy to install and a good level of brightness. The only criticism I can think of is that, when we had folk round and the smokers were outside, the charge drained quite quickly as it was in constant use. If you only need it as a security light though, that shouldn't be a problem.

thanks I'll look into it.

yeah it's just as the back yard and side of the house are pitch black at night and it's just another smaller deterrent. in my line of work I'm well aware nothing stops someone getting in if they really want to but it's all about making it as hard as possible.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    I can echo patch1875s comments around the ring doorbell.
    Its a nightmare trying to get a decent signal to it if you have thick outer walls.
    Due to the camera being used proactively, rather than reactively, the battery drains extremely fast (1 week in one case).
    I've fitted one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doorbell-Wa...rds=ring+solar

and I'm quite impressed with it. with only half a days direct sunlight, it easily charges 8%.
    So far so good, its happily charging back up to 100% each day (started on a full charge).

Mind you - it is down in Lancaster which has more sunlight than we tend to get up here.

Considering the Ring CCTV camera / light combo, and would also supplement with the same solar panel.

@hibs.net private member
    We fitted a solar light at the front door. Only works in the summer when we dont really need it. Waste of money

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    I know cheaper option was mentioned but anyone reading and is happy to splash a little I swear by the Arlo range of cameras/lights/sensors.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    I know cheaper option was mentioned but anyone reading and is happy to splash a little I swear by the Arlo range of cameras/lights/sensors.
    Do they have any solar options?
    I cant see my mother-in-law changing the batteries often - or at all

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    Do they have any solar options?
    I cant see my mother-in-law changing the batteries often - or at all
    They certainly do although I've not got one. The rechargeable batteries last now from 4-6 months on the cameras which I think is brilliant!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

After our flat got robbed I put some solar lights from B&Q round the front, side and back and they were useless. The PIR functioned worked but at best the lights just had a simple glow and didn't illuminate any of the garden.

Found a spark on gumtree and he provided and fitted 3 lights for around £280 IIRC (included trunking to make it look tidy and an on/off switch in the kitchen). No hiding places with those things, walked in the garden and the place lit-up like the Easter Road pitch on a dark Wednesday night. Well worth saving and spending the extra to get it done properly IMO.