hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our favourite Australian senator yesterday.

https://twitter.com/henry_belot/stat...414919681?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here’s a better version.
    https://twitter.com/sanasaeed/status...035503104?s=21

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    'Ironic' far right fascism? I can't say I understand all of this article, or the motivations of the people it's describing, but it's intriguing and scary...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/co...online-fascism
    I read that as suggesting that far-right extremists are essentially trying to normalise and mainstream their extremism by placing it in a context of contemporary culture, memes, issues, language etc which - apart from its deranged hatred content - could otherwise be the inane chat of mumsnet, .net or kickback. 'I'm a totally average normal bloke who just happens to hate blacks/jews/muslims/pakis/gays. I don't really want to hate them but any reasonable ordinary bloke like me can see that they're responsible for X, Y and Z. Ordinary blokes like me should really be taking direct action. Anyone fancy a pint?'.

This episode has really challenged me on my fundamental belief that free speech trumps everything. I have always thought that you cleanse hatred and lies with facts and truth. I'm not so sure now.

As far as comments elsewhere on this thread go I'd just point out that the proportion of Muslims, Jews, Christians - and pretty much any other religion - who go out and commit terrorist acts are tiny. This isn't a religious problem, its an economic, societal and cultural problem.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I read that as suggesting that far-right extremists are essentially trying to normalise and mainstream their extremism by placing it in a context of contemporary culture, memes, issues, language etc which - apart from its deranged hatred content - could otherwise be the inane chat of mumsnet, .net or kickback. 'I'm a totally average normal bloke who just happens to hate blacks/jews/muslims/pakis/gays. I don't really want to hate them but any reasonable ordinary bloke like me can see that they're responsible for X, Y and Z. Ordinary blokes like me should really be taking direct action. Anyone fancy a pint?'.

This episode has really challenged me on my fundamental belief that free speech trumps everything. I have always thought that you cleanse hatred and lies with facts and truth. I'm not so sure now.
    I think that's correct. I suppose it's the terminology that I'm not altogether familiar with, ('redpill' is certainly a new one on me) and I don't really get involved with debating with the far right online so Im probably a bit clueless.

The freedom of speech thing is a red herring when you're dealing with those who want to impose totalitarianism on the world. All other political motivations disappear for me personally when you're dealing with violent extremism or totalitarianism, it needs to be defeated and if civil liberties have to be curtailed that's the price that has to be paid. I've definitely moved my position on that.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

As far as comments elsewhere on this thread go I'd just point out that the proportion of Muslims, Jews, Christians - and pretty much any other religion - who go out and commit terrorist acts are tiny. This isn't a religious problem, its an economic, societal and cultural problem.
    Clearing these people out of Facebook and other social media is not curtailing their free speech. They are still free to say what they like, just not on a privately owned platform. If Facebook was publicly owned then they would have a point but it’s not. Facebook is a commercial company and is free to decide who uses its services. It’s time we gave them a push in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Here’s a better version.
    https://twitter.com/sanasaeed/status...035503104?s=21

https://twitter.com/donswaynos/statu...465250306?s=19

https://www.adweek.com/digital/new-z...mpression=true

Some mad figures here...it's open season.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...urch-shootings

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Tommy Ten Names enjoys a certain amount of celebrity status down under. It's easy for him to sell his lies on the other side of the world amongst their hard of thinking. I would not be surprised if there is a definite link there.
    Not sure that’s the case in NZ. I genuinely doubt many here will have heard of Tommy Robinson.

I think the point is that the Daily Mail made the attackers live stream available for download rather than the adverts.
    In the picture, the video on the Mail website is 18 seconds long. The actual video is 17 MINUTES long. I doubt the Mail (vile as they are) are allowing people to download the uncensored 17 minute video.

Both the video and manifesto have been deemed “objectionable” in NZ now and you can be charged with a criminal offence for viewing / sharing either.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Not sure that’s the case in NZ. I genuinely doubt many here will have heard of Tommy Robinson.
    I really meant Australia Steve, that's where the gunman comes from.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    In the picture, the video on the Mail website is 18 seconds long. The actual video is 17 MINUTES long. I doubt the Mail (vile as they are) are allowing people to download the uncensored 17 minute video.

Both the video and manifesto have been deemed “objectionable” in NZ now and you can be charged with a criminal offence for viewing / sharing either.
    NZ have been absolutely exemplary in their handling of the aftermath. There's a lot we can learn from their reaction.

NZ have been absolutely exemplary in their handling of the aftermath. There's a lot we can learn from their reaction.
    She's been remarkable.

And nobody here is really surprised to be honest.

Still quite hard to believe this happened here. I genuinely thought NZ was simply not on the radar for this type of thing.

https://twitter.com/sunapology/statu...590947328?s=21
    Shows the success that putting pressure on advertisers is having.