hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite an entertaining first weekend with a few surprising results!

No border closures or restrictions in place at all here just now so fingers crossed for a relatively straight forward season.
    Well. If ever a post screams of "keep your mouth shut" then that was it!

I booked up to go down for the Bulldogs v West Coast game last Thursday. Got a case on Saturday. Border closed on Sunday. Missed out on getting to an absolutely phenomenal game.

Looks like we won't be travelling interstate any time soon so my trip to see us play St Kilda in 2 weeks and Collingwood in Perth in 3 weeks are all up the swanny.

Still, I'm liking how we're looking this season... and at least a lockdown allows for plenty of AFL time!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Well. If ever a post screams of "keep your mouth shut" then that was it!

I booked up to go down for the Bulldogs v West Coast game last Thursday. Got a case on Saturday. Border closed on Sunday. Missed out on getting to an absolutely phenomenal game.

Looks like we won't be travelling interstate any time soon so my trip to see us play St Kilda in 2 weeks and Collingwood in Perth in 3 weeks are all up the swanny.

Still, I'm liking how we're looking this season... and at least a lockdown allows for plenty of AFL time!
    That's a real shame. Yes, West Coast could go very well again this year. Terrible result for Saints against the Demons, but Essendon this weekend should be a gimme. They already look like wooden spoon contenders.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Yes, St Kilda started with an away win at GWS, despite an injury ravaged team . I'm hoping for finals again this year.
    I’ve been up early this morning and watched Essendon v St Kilda - it’s been 1 way traffic, 60 point lead and q3 not even finished yet.

That's a real shame. Yes, West Coast could go very well again this year. Terrible result for Saints against the Demons, but Essendon this weekend should be a gimme. They already look like wooden spoon contenders.
    I’ll accept your apology for the outlandish writing off of my bombers in writing please.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I’ll accept your apology for the outlandish writing off of my bombers in writing please.
    Apology freely given. I can't believe Saints conceded 143 points to an injury ravaged Essendon. However, anything is possible with St Kilda. West Coast will destroy us this weekend.

Gamer IDs

Apology freely given. I can't believe Saints conceded 143 points to an injury ravaged Essendon. However, anything is possible with St Kilda. West Coast will destroy us this weekend.
    Just flew into Melbourne this morning. Off for a covid test now and have to isolate til my result comes back. Got my ticket for the game though, genuinely can’t wait!

Just flew into Melbourne this morning. Off for a covid test now and have to isolate til my result comes back. Got my ticket for the game though, genuinely can’t wait!
    Got the alarm set, even though I'm dreading it. Enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 09-04-2021 at 12:17 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Got the alarm set, even though I'm dreading it. Enjoy the game.
    Some game this has been. That should be it all over now.

Gamer IDs

Shambles

Wrong again! Haha

Game of two halves. Saints lifted massively in second half but their effort and pressure was there all game. Steele is absolutely superb. Eagles had no answer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Some game this has been. That should be it all over now.
    Shambles
    Wrong again! Haha

Game of two halves. Saints lifted massively in second half but their effort and pressure was there all game. Steele is absolutely superb. Eagles had no answer at all.
    I should have bet in play when Saints were 33 points down. Eight consecutive goals later and it's a great win.

That was St Kilda summed up in one game! You never know what you're going to get. I'm zero from four on my game predictions so far!

Gamer IDs

I'm still pretty salty about the game. What a capitulation. You'd rather it happened now than at the other end of the season though.

I'm still pretty salty about the game. What a capitulation. You'd rather it happened now than at the other end of the season though.
    West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood are 3 teams I would be looking closely at this season as with the new man on the mark rules and ageing squads they could be in a spot of bother. Youthful teams with runners from deep will benefit the most.

Gamer IDs

West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood are 3 teams I would be looking closely at this season as with the new man on the mark rules and ageing squads they could be in a spot of bother. Youthful teams with runners from deep will benefit the most.
    Couldn't agree more. Swans early success is a great example of this. That being said, I still think West Coast will come out as a top four team once everyone figures it out.

One thing that frustrates me about the sport is the constant rule changes. Every year there is something new to adapt to. Surely, after 150 years they can figure out what's best and stick with it.

Couldn't agree more. Swans early success is a great example of this. That being said, I still think West Coast will come out as a top four team once everyone figures it out.
    I agree. Think Optus is a big advantage for them and will help them in. They do still have a really good squad too.

One thing that frustrates me about the sport is the constant rule changes. Every year there is something new to adapt to. Surely, after 150 years they can figure out what's best and stick with it.
    Yep you and everyone else. Constant tinkering with the game does no good. Should be a review every 2/3 years.

St Kilda's 88 point defeat to Richmond in Round 5 was every bit as bad as the Melbourne hammering. The most unpredictable team in the competition, but the defence is a massive worry: over 500 points conceded in five games is appalling.

Anzac Day weekend this weekend so the big Collingwood vs Essendon headline is only a few days away. Both teams having a tough time with injuries but buzzing nonetheless.

**** the Pies

**** the Pies
    Another disaster class from St Kilda against Port. The Hawthorn game is now a must win.

Another disaster class from St Kilda against Port. The Hawthorn game is now a must win.
    No idea what’s happened to the Saints this year. Look a shell of the team from last season. Midfield is slow and small forwards not nearly as productive. Worrying for them.

Gamer IDs

No idea what’s happened to the Saints this year. Look a shell of the team from last season. Midfield is slow and small forwards not nearly as productive. Worrying for them.
    Still good enough to beat West Coast though....

Our game against the Cats on Saturday was as bad as I’ve seen from any of my teams in any sport for a long, long time.

There are rumours of splits in the dressing room etc, but I don't know if it's just media talk. Yes, they've taken a big step backwards this year, which is surprising, as they were hoping to build on making finals. There are two winnable games coming up (Hawthorn and Gold Coast) which are now huge. Lose those and it's going to get grim.

I've just come across this thread! Although I've not followed the AFL properly for a few years, I stil love watching it when I can. I lived in Perth for a while many years ago, with some diehard Eagles fans. So naturally I opted to support the Dockers to noise them up - a port side who at the time favoured purple and green as part of their colours :) Had some brilliant experiences going to games, although at the time WCE were by far the strongest Perth team and humped the Dockers when I went to any derbies. Also managed to see the Swans in Sydney a few times. I find Aussie Rules a brilliant game to watch, and wish it had more coverage over here.
    Last edited by Zorro; 29-04-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I've just come across this thread! Although I've not followed the AFL properly for a few years, I stil love watching it when I can. I lived in Perth for a while many years ago, with some diehard Eagles fans. So naturally I opted to support the Dockers to noise them up - a port side who at the team favoured purple and green as part of their colours :) Had some brilliant experiences going to games, although at the time WCE were by far the strongest Perth team and humped the Dockers when I went to any derbies. Also managed to see the Swans in Sydney a few times. I find Aussie Rules a brilliant game to watch, and wish it had more coverage over here.
    BT sport has very good coverage, with live games and highlights show.

Gamer IDs

I've just come across this thread! Although I've not followed the AFL properly for a few years, I stil love watching it when I can. I lived in Perth for a while many years ago, with some diehard Eagles fans. So naturally I opted to support the Dockers to noise them up - a port side who at the time favoured purple and green as part of their colours :) Had some brilliant experiences going to games, although at the time WCE were by far the strongest Perth team and humped the Dockers when I went to any derbies. Also managed to see the Swans in Sydney a few times. I find Aussie Rules a brilliant game to watch, and wish it had more coverage over here.
    Welcome.

Against all odds I've managed to get a ticket for the derby on Sunday. Masks required, but a small price to pay - albeit I fear it'll be to see Fremantle end our winning streak against them.

Welcome.

Against all odds I've managed to get a ticket for the derby on Sunday. Masks required, but a small price to pay - albeit I fear it'll be to see Fremantle end our winning streak against them.
    I had a check of the ladder for the first time in a long time, and saw that the Eagles hadn't had the best season, is this a blip or has it been like that for a while? Although from what you say they've still had the upper hand on Freo for a while... I lived in Perth back in the 90s so at that time the Eagles were very much the dominant derby side, and Freo were complete underdogs. Enjoy the match, had some great banter with Eagles fans at the games I went too, and my Perthmates are all Eagles fans but I still have that soft spot for the Dockers!

BT sport has very good coverage, with live games and highlights show.
    Thanks for that, will check it out and see if I can get it. Can't believe I've missed it for so long, but now I really want to see a match!

Gamer IDs

I had a check of the ladder for the first time in a long time, and saw that the Eagles hadn't had the best season, is this a blip or has it been like that for a while? Although from what you say they've still had the upper hand on Freo for a while... I lived in Perth back in the 90s so at that time the Eagles were very much the dominant derby side, and Freo were complete underdogs. Enjoy the match, had some great banter with Eagles fans at the games I went too, and my Perthmates are all Eagles fans but I still have that soft spot for the Dockers!
    My brother in law is an Eagles fan so I didn't have much choice but to barrack for them; long before I ever thought I'd live in Australia.

Not travelling well has been our problem forever; but especially the last couple of seasons.

I really was not expecting such a convincing win yesterday - shame we were locked out in the end. That's the third game this year I've had a ticket for and been unable to go to because of Covid!

A much better performance and the Dockers will be rightly annoyed at themselves.

I'm down in Melbourne for my first MCG visit on Sunday for the Hawks game though so fingers crossed we carry the form on; especially after Hawthorn's inauspicious recent form. Mind you, that didn't stop us crumbling to the Saints.

My brother in law is an Eagles fan so I didn't have much choice but to barrack for them; long before I ever thought I'd live in Australia.

Not travelling well has been our problem forever; but especially the last couple of seasons.

I really was not expecting such a convincing win yesterday - shame we were locked out in the end. That's the third game this year I've had a ticket for and been unable to go to because of Covid!

A much better performance and the Dockers will be rightly annoyed at themselves.

I'm down in Melbourne for my first MCG visit on Sunday for the Hawks game though so fingers crossed we carry the form on; especially after Hawthorn's inauspicious recent form. Mind you, that didn't stop us crumbling to the Saints.
    Just checked in to see the weekend results - oofty, that looks like a doing, Eagles by 59! Well done, but that's a real shame the fans couldn't be there, hopefully next time. Enjoy the MCG, I never saw a game there but it's some ground.