hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: French Open.

French Open.

Surprised SDG hasn’t started a thread yet

Early days with the big matches to come in the men’s singles.

I remember last year at Wimbledon saying I enjoyed the woman’s game more as they were more competitive. Scratch that, Iga Switek is on a 29 match winning streak and looks unstoppable
    Just watched her bagel her latest victim in the first set for the loss of 8 points in total
    I think she has only dropped one or two sets in the winning run which is incredible
    I know Ashley Barty retired, maybe she knew what was coming round the corner !

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surprised SDG hasn’t started a thread yet

Early days with the big matches to come in the men’s singles.

I remember last year at Wimbledon saying I enjoyed the woman’s game more as they were more competitive. Scratch that, Iga Switek is on a 29 match winning streak and looks unstoppable
    Just watched her bagel her latest victim in the first set for the loss of 8 points in total
    I think she has only dropped one or two sets in the winning run which is incredible
    I know Ashley Barty retired, maybe she knew what was coming round the corner !
    Haven't really seen much of it so far to be honest, caught the end of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's last ever match as a professional the other day which was quite emotional.

All the big boys are still in it, including Cam Norrie. He plays tomorrow afternoon v Karen Khachanov.

My tip is Carlos Alcaraz although Djokovic and Nadal obviously can't be discounted.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Haven't really seen much of it so far to be honest, caught the end of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's last ever match as a professional the other day which was quite emotional.

All the big boys are still in it, including Cam Norrie. He plays tomorrow afternoon v Karen Khachanov.

My tip is Carlos Alcaraz although Djokovic and Nadal obviously can't be discounted.
    This guy is 2nd favourite ahead of Nadal Can't say i know to much about him , I think he's the Spanish wonder kid ? Novak quite rightly favourite , Nadal must be due to meet Novak in the coming rounds for Alcaraz to be 2nd favourite

Yeh Alcaraz looks the real deal, the new Rafa.
    He will play Norrie if they both win their 3d round matches.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This guy is 2nd favourite ahead of Nadal Can't say i know to much about him , I think he's the Spanish wonder kid ? Novak quite rightly favourite , Nadal must be due to meet Novak in the coming rounds for Alcaraz to be 2nd favourite
    If they keep winning then Rafa and Novak will meet in the quarters and Alcaraz, if he keeps winning, will play the winner in the semis. The top half of the draw is very strong
    Alcaraz has already won 2 masters 1000 titles this year and has beaten both Rafa and Novak.
    If he can hold his nerve he has a great chance to win his first major

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Alcaraz looks the real deal, very good prospect and only a matter of time before he wins a Grand Slam, I'd say.

If they keep winning then Rafa and Novak will meet in the quarters and Alcaraz, if he keeps winning, will play the winner in the semis. The top half of the draw is very strong
    Alcaraz has already won 2 masters 1000 titles this year and has beaten both Rafa and Novak.
    Alcaraz looks the real deal, very good prospect and only a matter of time before he wins a Grand Slam, I'd say.

Will keep an eye on this guy and try catch his matches

Cam Norrie struggling against Karen Khachanov - currently two sets down.

Carlos Alcaraz one set up v Sebastian Korda.

Norrie 2-0 down and just been broken in the 3rd to go to 2-3 behind.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Norrie 2-0 down and just been broken in the 3rd to go to 2-3 behind.
    Was hoping he would go a bit further but unfortunately not.
    Well beaten in the end.

Poor result for Norrie, really disappointing.

Be good to see a new face coming through to usurp the old guard at long last but you can never write off Rafa in Paris.

Main hope is that that tool Djokovic gets knocked out.

Nadal in a bit of a slog just now v Felix Auger Aliassime.

Nadal is two sets to one up but is 2-5 down in the fourth set.

Looks like a fifth set is coming up and Nadal's got some work to do if he's going to set up a quarter final v Djokovic.

Auger-Aliassime wins the fourth set so we're going to a decider.

What an outstanding champion Rafael Nadal is.

He wins 3-6 6-3 6-2 3-6 6-3 after nearly 4 and a half hours.

Incredible player, one of a kind, particularly on this surface.

What a quarter final - Nadal v Djokovic. I hope it doesn't clash with work.

What an outstanding champion Rafael Nadal is.

He wins 3-6 6-3 6-2 3-6 6-3 after nearly 4 and a half hours.

Incredible player, one of a kind, particularly on this surface.

What a quarter final - Nadal v Djokovic. I hope it doesn't clash with work.

As you say, incredible player - especially bearing in mind his age and injury record.

Crowd will be roaring him on and booing Djokovic's every touch although Djokovic tends to thrive on that.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    As you say, incredible player - especially bearing in mind his age and injury record.

Crowd will be roaring him on and booing Djokovic's every touch although Djokovic tends to thrive on that.
    Djokovic's name was booed by the crowd during Nadal's on court interview after his match tonight when he was asked about his next match.

I haven't watched any of Djokovic's previous matches at this tournament so I don't know how he's being treated. I think it may affect him a bit in this match though as the treatment he'll get in comparison with Nadal will pretty much sum up his entire career. He has never been as liked as Nadal or Federer and I think that bothers him which is why you see him with the "love gestures" at the end of every match that he wins.

I hope Nadal wins this one but not sure that he will.

Djokovic's name was booed by the crowd during Nadal's on court interview after his match tonight when he was asked about his next match.

I haven't watched any of Djokovic's previous matches at this tournament so I don't know how he's being treated. I think it may affect him a bit in this match though as the treatment he'll get in comparison with Nadal will pretty much sum up his entire career. He has never been as liked as Nadal or Federer and I think that bothers him which is why you see him with the "love gestures" at the end of every match that he wins.

I hope Nadal wins this one but not sure that he will.
    I avoid watching Djokovic. I hate the way he plays. However, the BBC report on the Nadal match today also covered the Djokovic match and apparently he was booed throughout. As you say a tough ask for Nadal, especially after such a gruelling match today - plus Djokivic will feel he has a point to prove after what he will perceive (wrongly) as unjust treatment in getting deported from Australia.
    Last edited by He's here!; 29-05-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Carlos Alcaraz gets through to the quarter finals in straight sets v Karen Khachanov.

He now plays Sascha Zverev in the last 8 which should be another cracker.

That boy can definitely play.

Tsitsipas and Medvedev out!

The grunters are doing my head in at this tournament. Sonego was a shocker, making a noise so late his opponent was almost striking the ball and he was squealing.

Today we have Trevisan on the women's draw who is so loud that I've muted the telly.

Nadal v Djokovic on at 7.45pm BST tonight.

Cannot wait.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    The grunters are doing my head in at this tournament. Sonego was a shocker, making a noise so late his opponent was almost striking the ball and he was squealing.

Today we have Trevisan on the women's draw who is so loud that I've muted the telly.
    I thought she was absolutely brilliant! The noise doesn't seem to bother me nowadays for some reason. Nadal bouncing the ball 32 times is another matter though but I hope he wins tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I thought she was absolutely brilliant! The noise doesn't seem to bother me nowadays for some reason. Nadal bouncing the ball 32 times is another matter though but I hope he wins tonight.
    Aye, the Nadal patter of arse crack, shirt, hair, bounce is the one thing I won't miss when he retires. But the squealing from Trevisan was too much. I won't be watching her again.

Nadal v Djokovic on at 7.45pm BST tonight.

Cannot wait.
    That's 8.45 Paris time. Unlikely to finish till about 2am on past form!

Zverev serving for the match against Alcaraz.

What a game from Alcaraz who breaks back and it's 5-5 in the 4th.

Zverev takes the tie break and the match.

Didn't see any of the match tonight but obviously a lesson for Alcaraz to learn.

Great win for Zverev which I didn't expect him to get.

Cmon Djokovic ! ...This guy revels when the crowd boo him

Can't stand Nadal with his 30 odd bounces off the ball and his picking his erse rubbing his head picking his nose etc

Mon the GOAT which is Novak Djokovic