hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not offended by everything and everything. But I am offended by sectarianism. Noone has suggested stopping any other sort of chants that I have seen.
    What about others that are offended by being called sheep ****gers or people that are offended by swearing. Most people are thick skinned enough just to let it not offend them. In all honesty I find it all a laugh. When the Jambos sang all the Hibees are gay, I didn’t take offense, it was mildly amusing. Having that edge and banter makes for a better atmosphere IMO.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Alleged sectarian abuse reported to the Police by Rangers Fans?

Deny and deflect, their usual policy.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    BBC Reporting that Police Scotland are investigating this.................

Let that one sink in
    Sounds like a country ready for independence.

The Huns are hurting after yet another humiliating defeat at home and another season of expensive failure to win .... anything. They're not the brightest either, so just lash out at anything they can in the hope of deflecting attention away from their failure, feeding their self-inflicted victim mentality, and appealing to the Neanderthals who enjoy the sanctuary of Ibrox to practice their bigotry on a regular basis with impunity. They'll eventually realise that reporting Aberdeen fans for sectarian chanting wasn't perhaps the most sensible move, with a nasal "Awe Naw", when the penny finally drops.

Sevco - not the brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    The Huns are hurting after yet another humiliating defeat at home and another season of expensive failure to win .... anything. They're not the brightest either, so just lash out at anything they can in the hope of deflecting attention away from their failure, feeding their self-inflicted victim mentality, and appealing to the Neanderthals who enjoy the sanctuary of Ibrox to practice their bigotry on a regular basis with impunity. They'll eventually realise that reporting Aberdeen fans for sectarian chanting wasn't perhaps the most sensible move, with a nasal "Awe Naw", when the penny finally drops.

Sevco - not the brightest.
    Yeah there nest is full to the brim of s...e

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    What about others that are offended by being called sheep ****gers or people that are offended by swearing. Most people are thick skinned enough just to let it not offend them. In all honesty I find it all a laugh. When the Jambos sang all the Hibees are gay, I didn’t take offense, it was mildly amusing. Having that edge and banter makes for a better atmosphere IMO.
    This thread is about sectarianism and sectarian singing. Why are you conflating sectarian singing with a different debate about the rights and wrongs of singing about sheep ****gers or a set of fans being gay.

Surely it’s possible to find sectarian singing abhorrent but also still enjoy some of the edgy banter betweeen fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Alleged sectarian abuse reported to the Police by Rangers Fans?

Deny and deflect, their usual policy.
    Have the police investigated an instance like this before or is this a precedent being set? Will be interesting to see if they ever investigate Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This thread is about sectarianism and sectarian singing. Why are you conflating sectarian singing with a different debate about the rights and wrongs of singing about sheep ****gers or a set of fans being gay.

Surely it’s possible to find sectarian singing abhorrent but also still enjoy some of the edgy banter betweeen fans.
    I’m point out that offense could be construed on a million different reasons, depending on the individual. Does anyone actually really sit in a stadium and get there blood boiled listening to a bunch of knuckle dragging weegies signing songs you can’t even make out the words to?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    So next time we have a full stand of Huns or celtic at ER all we need to do is complain about sectarian singing to the police and they will investigate it? Is that how it works? If so then there are only two clubs who will be on bother. So thanks for that the rangers it is a good start in the fight to stamp out bigotry and who would have thought that they would be the instigators

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’m point out that offense could be construed on a million different reasons, depending on the individual. Does anyone actually really sit in a stadium and get there blood boiled listening to a bunch of knuckle dragging weegies signing songs you can’t even make out the words to?
    I don’t think it’s acceptable to sing sectarian songs in 2019, you don’t seem to agree. We just have different opinions on this.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    This has really stuck in my mind and got to me. The idea that rangers are victims of sectarian abuse really sits uncomfortablely with me, and it's come to me why. Being called an Orange B is like being called Gammon. Like Gammon, rangers fans think they are called Orange B's because of bigotry in others (anti White racism for Gammon, anti protestant bigotry for rangers fans). However, it's not the case. They are called these things because of the intolerance on and hatred they espouse. And that's fine, because sectarianism, like racism, is not a valid belief system and as such, should not be protected.

Furthermore, as someone who (embarrassingly) has Orangemen in their extended family, and who has been involved in the protestant church himself, I can confirm I have never, by anyone, been referred to as an orange b. I have, in my hibs scarf, been referred to as a fenian though.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Have the police investigated an instance like this before or is this a precedent being set? Will be interesting to see if they ever investigate Rangers.
    Interesting point. The Rangers might just have shot themselves in the foot here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    What about when Lennon got the same treatment whilst at Hibs? Did the police investigate? I must have missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    What about when Lennon got the same treatment whilst at Hibs? Did the police investigate? I must have missed that one.
    Nobody complained though.

Hibs were happy to see their employee abused, as they were with his predecessor. No doubt our current incumbent will get similar treatment even though I have no idea if he is a man of religion himself.

As Rangers have complained, the police are duty bound to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Nobody complained though.

Hibs were happy to see their employee abused, as they were with his predecessor. No doubt our current incumbent will get similar treatment even though I have no idea if he is a man of religion himself.

As Rangers have complained, the police are duty bound to investigate.
    Hibs were happy to see their employee abused? Sorry, that’s a ridiculous comment. We can argue about how the club handles these situations but that sort of comment isn’t helpful.
    Did Nel Lennon or Allan Stubbs report the abuse they received to Police Scotland? Did they ask the club to do so? Do we know if either man wanted the police involved?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post

Of course fenianism saw the rise of organisations like the Whiteboys and of course the Peep O’ Day Boys. We are the people (peep o’) is one of the most sectarian chants to come out of Ibrox.
    Nice one, always wondered what that chant was all about.

Wonder if Pedro knew?!!

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    This has really stuck in my mind and got to me. The idea that rangers are victims of sectarian abuse really sits uncomfortablely with me, and it's come to me why. Being called an Orange B is like being called Gammon. Like Gammon, rangers fans think they are called Orange B's because of bigotry in others (anti White racism for Gammon, anti protestant bigotry for rangers fans). However, it's not the case. They are called these things because of the intolerance on and hatred they espouse. And that's fine, because sectarianism, like racism, is not a valid belief system and as such, should not be protected.

Furthermore, as someone who (embarrassingly) has Orangemen in their extended family, and who has been involved in the protestant church himself, I can confirm I have never, by anyone, been referred to as an orange b. I have, in my hibs scarf, been referred to as a fenian though.
    Think this is spot on.

Left by mutual consent!
    The bottom line is Aberdeen sing a secterian song this week and its highlighted as an issue. Sevco do this in larger louder numbers week after week and its not highlighted? Disgraceful.

How many times was Neil Lennon a fenian B when we played them? It is a disgrace by the people reporting this to not be saying hold on here.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 15-03-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    The bottom line is Aberdeen sing a secterian song this week and its highlighted as an issue. Sevco do this in larger louder numbers week after week and its not highlighted? Disgraceful.
    You seem surprised!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The whole of the South Stand was bouncing with their sectarian bile on Friday night

It was not a minority

I am still in deep shock

Who do I complain to?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Hibs were happy to see their employee abused? Sorry, that’s a ridiculous comment. We can argue about how the club handles these situations but that sort of comment isn’t helpful.
    Did Nel Lennon or Allan Stubbs report the abuse they received to Police Scotland? Did they ask the club to do so? Do we know if either man wanted the police involved?
    I don't think it is.

As ridiculous as it might seem, Rangers are unhappy with the nature of chanting that was aimed at their manager and have called it out. I don't know if it was with his blessing or not, but if a complaint is made then the police need to investigate. Yes, it is highly hypocritical but they are calling out behaviour that they deem to be unacceptable.

I have a problem that in 21st century Scotland tens of thousands of people can chant about managers being fenian b's unchallenged. It is not acceptable and I will continue to moan about it. Sectarianism in Scotland is so engrained that it has become the norm. It might have been normal behaviour decades ago, it is not now. Steve Clarke didn't like it and was correct to call it out. Neil Lennon was correct to call it out.

It has happened so often to employees of Hibs at Ibrox that I think Hibs are bordering on negligent on not calling it out.

There is a lot that our board have done very well in recent years, and I think LD is absolutely correct to be getting tough with elements within our own support. My main gripe with them these days is their attitude to Sevco whether than be encouraging the inconsistent application of rules that sees Clyde docked points but Rangers not, or their tolerating their sectarianism to the extent that they invite thousands more of them into our home to belt it out on a Friday night.

You either accept it or not. As the phrase goes, you're part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't want to be part of the problem, and by staying quiet and accepting Hibs staying quiet, we are all part of the problem.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Tomorrow will be interesting if Steve Clarke is abused at Ibrox again.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't think it is.

As ridiculous as it might seem, Rangers are unhappy with the nature of chanting that was aimed at their manager and have called it out. I don't know if it was with his blessing or not, but if a complaint is made then the police need to investigate. Yes, it is highly hypocritical but they are calling out behaviour that they deem to be unacceptable.

I have a problem that in 21st century Scotland tens of thousands of people can chant about managers being fenian b's unchallenged. It is not acceptable and I will continue to moan about it. Sectarianism in Scotland is so engrained that it has become the norm. It might have been normal behaviour decades ago, it is not now. Steve Clarke didn't like it and was correct to call it out. Neil Lennon was correct to call it out.

It has happened so often to employees of Hibs at Ibrox that I think Hibs are bordering on negligent on not calling it out.

There is a lot that our board have done very well in recent years, and I think LD is absolutely correct to be getting tough with elements within our own support. My main gripe with them these days is their attitude to Sevco whether than be encouraging the inconsistent application of rules that sees Clyde docked points but Rangers not, or their tolerating their sectarianism to the extent that they invite thousands more of them into our home to belt it out on a Friday night.

You either accept it or not. As the phrase goes, you're part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't want to be part of the problem, and by staying quiet and accepting Hibs staying quiet, we are all part of the problem.

Sectarianism has blighted this country for centuries and, despite obvious progress in some areas, it is still alive and well in some sections of society and is kept alive by institutions such as the Orange Lodge and fan bases of certain football clubs. Given that it seeps out into "real life" at times, threatening violence and violent acts, it's maybe time it was stamped out by whatever means.

Cheap jibes about ovine copulation have never actually harmed anyone unless they laughed too hard at the joke, which is doubtful.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    The whole of the South Stand was bouncing with their sectarian bile on Friday night

It was not a minority

I am still in deep shock

Who do I complain to?
    Police Scotland, apparently.

Let us know how you get on...
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I see Nil By Mouth have reared their heads to condemn Aberdeen.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I see Nil By Mouth have reared their heads to condemn Aberdeen.
    It's farcical.

Clearly, sectarian chants by any team shouldn't be accepted, and just because it was against Rangers, it shouldn't be ignored.

That said, the double standards are incredible. It's like putting the kids that finally lost patience with the bully and kicked back on detention and ignoring the bully's behaviour.

If this is how it's going to be then I'd love to see Hibs and Hibs fans complain to Police Scotland and whoever else is involved in calling Aberdeen out, each and every time we hear it from Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Lets all listen loud tomorrow to what the huns start signing about Clarke if they go ahead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's farcical.

Clearly, sectarian chants by any team shouldn't be accepted, and just because it was against Rangers, it shouldn't be ignored.

That said, the double standards are incredible. It's like putting the kids that finally lost patience with the bully and kicked back on detention and ignoring the bully's behaviour.

If this is how it's going to be then I'd love to see Hibs and Hibs fans complain to Police Scotland and whoever else is involved in calling Aberdeen out, each and every time we hear it from Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts.
    This has to be the way ahead now. Highlight it at every single opportunity.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Lets all listen loud tomorrow to what the huns start signing about Clarke if they go ahead.

and i already know what they will start singing even if there's just a wee slight stramash between ANY opposition player and one of theirs

if only we could get odds at the bookies on it we could make a fortune
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 15-03-2019 at 01:46 PM.